Author Topic: Mainstream news coverage of Starship events  (Read 82877 times)

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1192
  • Likes Given: 54

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1794
  • Likes Given: 1292
Re: Mainstream news coverage of Starship events
« Reply #121 on: 05/09/2023 01:45 am »
SpaceX wants this supersized rocket to fly. But will investors send it to the Moon?

Quote from: NPR article extract
But Starship will take multiple years to bring to market, and it likely will need additional money, says analyst Chris Quilty. Given the troubles in the tech sector, it makes sense that SpaceX would try and stretch its existing cash for now. "SpaceX is probably betting that market conditions will be better next year," he says. But that strategy carries risks: If the economy slips into a prolonged recession, Quilty warns, "they could find themselves out of cash and out of runway."
Sigh, just who is going to launch most of the NASA, DoD & NRO payloads along with most of the commercial comsats for the next few years? Payloads that is already funded and in the pipeline. Mr Quilty's analysis seems to be too myopic, IMO.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25207
  • Likes Given: 12104
« Reply #122 on: 05/09/2023 03:10 am »
Who tf is this guy? Edit: Chris Quilty looks to be an analyst specializing in the space sector.

BTW, Ed Kyle, your old website statistics were super good. You could get a side gig as an analyst and beat most of these guys.

EDIT: Caleb Henry was a pretty good journalist, now working for Quilty, so that's something in favor of them...

...however, I'm not really sure it's all about capital-raises right now. Launch is normally not a huge money maker, but Falcon 9 OWNS the market at the moment, everyone is going to SpaceX for launch (even Europe), and Starlink is starting to hold its own on revenue, so I honestly don't know that they actually need to do a capital raise soon.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2023 03:52 am by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1947
  • Likes Given: 1128

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8163
  • Likes Given: 7440
« Reply #124 on: 05/09/2023 03:24 am »
« Last Edit: 05/09/2023 03:28 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25207
  • Likes Given: 12104
« Reply #125 on: 05/09/2023 03:47 am »
Actually, that article had a ton of really good analysts on there. McDowell (who definitely knows what he's talking about), Lori Garver, etc. I think Carissa Christensen of BryceTech is right here:
""SpaceX has consistently raised money and even in this more constrained environment seems to be able to raise substantial amounts," says Carissa Christensen, the CEO of BryceTech, an analytics and engineering firm."

It's really hard to exaggerate just how far ahead SpaceX is with Falcon 9 alone (and how much hardware they had to blow up to get to the reuse moat they have now). This isn't Astra; SpaceX is launching around twice a week, sometimes with two of the 3 biggest rockets in the world, and in nearly every other case don't need to expend anything but the upper stage. They are making pretty substantial money from this, from Dragon, from Starlink.

Overall, a good article.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2023 03:51 am by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Eric Hedman

« Reply #126 on: 05/09/2023 01:42 pm »
StarLink has now reached 1.5 million subscribers: https://www.neowin.net/news/starlink-now-has-more-than-15-million-subscribers-globally/

I can imagine that is becoming a significant revenue stream for them.  Of course we don't know how much their costs are for delivering this service.  I imagine this growth would draw in more investors if they need them because of the potential for making a lot of money.

Online Eric Hedman

« Reply #127 on: 05/09/2023 02:13 pm »
When the mainstream media covers space topics, I'm not surprised when they get some basic things wrong just like they do at times on other topics.  When they don't follow an industry regularly, they just don't know a lot of the details us space junkies do to ask the right questions.  They do however get access at times that the space niche media do not.

A couple of years ago, I had a chance encounter and a conversation about space with Soledad O'Brien https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soledad_O'Brien.   I was having a conversation with a friend at an outdoor cafe who asked me, "What's going on in space these days?" just as she walked by and overheard the question.  That led to a half hour very interesting conversation with her.  She had just filmed an episode for her show All that Matters, nationally syndicated through Hearst, where she had interviewed Bob Cabana at KSC and had filmed inside the factory making satellites for OneWeb.   I never saw the episode to judge how well done it was.  What I do like when the mainstream media covers space is that they tend to get access to things we often wouldn't otherwise see.  When they do get things wrong, it's not unexpected considering it's often out of their wheelhouse.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80445
  • Likes Given: 36399
« Reply #128 on: 07/08/2023 02:37 pm »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #129 on: 11/21/2023 08:00 am »
Starship Just Took One Step Closer to Mars

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4381
  • Likes Given: 2633
« Reply #130 on: 11/21/2023 01:48 pm »

Just to clarify, Newsthink isn't mainstream news. It's a tech-focused video essay channel run by one woman, and a significant number of her videos are Elon Musk-related.

Offline steveleach

• Liked: 2738
  • Likes Given: 952
« Reply #131 on: 11/21/2023 02:45 pm »
The BBC pinged me about it at the time, but I forgot to mention it here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67462116

Offline catdlr

« Reply #132 on: 11/21/2023 08:32 pm »

Just to clarify, Newsthink isn't mainstream news. It's a tech-focused video essay channel run by one woman, and a significant number of her videos are Elon Musk-related.

StevenOBrien
Agreed, I just didn't know where to post that.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 863
  • Likes Given: 1719
« Reply #133 on: 11/21/2023 08:47 pm »
From Deutsche Welle (DW), a long way to go before Germany has a more constructive and positive view of (space) tech innovation in progress. Really funny to see another DW article a day later that they still want to be an engine of innovation in Europe, the irony.
https://www.dw.com/en/spacex-starship-rocket-explodes-on-second-test-flight/video-67481286
« Last Edit: 11/21/2023 08:48 pm by leovinus »

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9165
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #134 on: 11/22/2023 10:55 am »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement