Author Topic: SpaceX advances drive for Mars rocket via Raptor power  (Read 666721 times)

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: SpaceX advances drive for Mars rocket via Raptor power
« Reply #400 on: 05/20/2014 10:03 am »
SpaceX advances drive for Mars rocket via Raptor power article on NSF
Alejandro, a slightly off-topic note: black & white photo does not show Korolev and Glushko. It is a snapshot from a Soviet fiction movie "Taming of the Fire" (1972)  ;) It also has an amazing SOUNDTRACK
imdb link
wikipedia
« Last Edit: 05/20/2014 10:06 am by fregate »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #401 on: 05/20/2014 01:52 pm »
I thought that it was them young, I had heard about the movie but never seen it. But the one that put the pictures was Chris. I will PM him. Thanks fregate!

Offline Chris Bergin

Alejandro, a slightly off-topic note: black & white photo does not show Korolev and Glushko. It is a snapshot from a Soviet fiction movie "Taming of the Fire" (1972)  ;) It also has an amazing SOUNDTRACK
imdb link
wikipedia

Oh that's my fault. I add the images and links in all articles.

Shame, as it's a great photo! ;D

I'll remove it, but if anyone has a good image that would be a good replacement, please add it to the thread and Pm me.... :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 800
« Reply #403 on: 05/20/2014 06:43 pm »
I'll remove it, but if anyone has a good image that would be a good replacement, please add it to the thread and Pm me.... :)

Not the best quality picture, but this is one of very small number I found where both Valentin Glushko (second from left) and Sergey Korolyev (third from left) are visible together.

For more pics of them google : Сергей Павлович Королев and Валентин Глушко
« Last Edit: 05/20/2014 06:56 pm by pospa »

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #404 on: 05/21/2014 01:35 am »
Not a happy looking group!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #405 on: 05/21/2014 04:46 am »

They're not unhappy, they're Russian.   ;)
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 800
« Reply #406 on: 05/21/2014 06:59 am »
They're not unhappy, they're Russian.   ;)

Also picture taken in the coldest time of the Cold War. :)

But seriously as you might know there was a lot of competition and nagative relationships between soviet design bureaus during the Moon Race. There was no "Russian NASA" or Roscosmos as today which would ensure the unity and clear giudeline for the R&D institutes and space manufacturers. Which was one of the reasons why Russinans failed at that time.
That's why those men on the picture do not look very happy - they were mostly competitors, not friends.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_space_program#Internal_competition
« Last Edit: 05/21/2014 07:13 am by pospa »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #407 on: 05/21/2014 11:12 am »
Regarding Raptor, should we consider Raptor-VAC to be the main engine for MCT or just the MPS for a dual-mode upper stage on a BFR? Everything I've seen so far seems to suggest that the BFR's upper stage and payload will be integrated but I can't see how a chemical engine, any chemical engine, could do the Mars transit in 90 days as Musk advocates. IMHO, the MCT needs its own high-impulse/thrust engine (possibly nuclear-electric or LCH4-burning nuclear-plasma, ) and the Raptor will just be the propulsion of the launch vehicle for ETO or any cis-lunar missions for which SpaceX gets a contract.

I'm genuinely surprised that they convinced Glushko and Korolev to sit together! The two of them despised each other on such a profound level that they couldn't even be allowed into the same room together without an argument breaking out!
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Sohl

• Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 451
« Reply #408 on: 05/21/2014 05:19 pm »
Not the best quality picture, but this is one of very small number I found where both Valentin Glushko (second from left) and Sergey Korolyev (third from left) are visible together.
For more pics of them google : Сергей Павлович Королев and Валентин Глушко

Not saying it is, but this this photo sure looks "photoshopped" or the old-time equivalent.  Head positions and focus of the faces compared to bodies seems a bit off, at least on a few of these gentlemen   ???

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #409 on: 05/21/2014 08:42 pm »
imdb link
wikipedia

This is OT, but the movie is available on YouTube (see this post).
« Last Edit: 05/21/2014 08:43 pm by Proponent »

Offline aero

• Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #410 on: 07/06/2014 05:56 am »
SpaceX had their ribbon cutting back in April, 3 months ago now. They indicated they would be testing a single injector first.

Do we have any more news?
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #411 on: 07/06/2014 01:11 pm »
After the legal actions, Raptor's designer suspended all presentations. My guess is that we won't see any news nor press release for a while.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #412 on: 07/06/2014 04:54 pm »
Mueller gave a presentation to the late May propulsion conference in Cologne, Germany, the only account of which I've seen was an article in the June 9  Aviation Week about AR1 and Raptor.

Downside: it's behind a paywall.

Updated Raptor specs, but I won't repeat them due to said paywall. Little info about the progress at Stennis that isn't public though.

« Last Edit: 07/06/2014 05:21 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 1280
« Reply #413 on: 07/06/2014 05:00 pm »
After the legal actions, Raptor's designer suspended all presentations. My guess is that we won't see any news nor press release for a while.
What legal actions?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #414 on: 07/06/2014 05:06 pm »
The USAF lawsuit.

IMO, they don't want the SLS crowd getting their feathers ruffled while the USAF suit is going on too.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2014 05:08 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #415 on: 07/06/2014 05:53 pm »
IMO, they don't want the SLS crowd getting their feathers ruffled while the USAF suit is going on too.
What does Space Launch System have to do with any of this?

- Ed Kyle

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #416 on: 07/06/2014 06:32 pm »
Presumably, the BFR implied by the currently projected performance numbers for Raptor would put it into direct competition with SLS. In fact, it would massively outperform SLS, at what is assumed would be a much lower cost per kg to LEO, especially if reusability is considered. Spacex might not wish to draw attention to this embarrassing (to Congress) potential issue by publicly disclosing the Raptor numbers at this time.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #417 on: 07/06/2014 06:38 pm »

- Ed Kyle
They're already in conflict with the USAF (block buy) and Shelby (CC). Putting too much info abput a potential SLS competitor in the public domain could start a third conflict. 

Ask Germany about 3 front wars.

As it is now BFR doesn't seem "real" to most of those congresscritters not following it closely. No need to change that by giving Shelby more to be paranoid over.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2014 06:39 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #418 on: 07/06/2014 06:38 pm »
Presumably, the BFR implied by the currently projected performance numbers for Raptor would put it into direct competition with SLS. In fact, it would massively outperform SLS, at what is assumed would be a much lower cost per kg to LEO, especially if reusability is considered. Spacex might not wish to draw attention to this embarrassing (to Congress) potential issue by publicly disclosing the Raptor numbers at this time.

I think the rollback in public exposure for Raptor is more due to the recent RD-180 turmoil than anything else. If there is a competition for a new American hydrocrabon boost engine, I'm sure SpaceX would at least consider submitting Raptor or a Raptor derivative engine in order to get funding for development instead of having to foot the bill themselves. Anything they put out publicly gives their competition an advantage. SLS may be a tiny secondary concern, but I can't see it being the driving factor in keeping Raptor private.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #419 on: 07/06/2014 06:41 pm »

I think the rollback in public exposure for Raptor is more due to the recent RD-180 turmoil than anything else. If there is a competition for a new American hydrocrabon boost engine, I'm sure SpaceX would at least consider submitting Raptor or a Raptor derivative engine in order to get funding for development instead of having to foot the bill themselves. Anything they put out publicly gives their competition an advantage. SLS may be a tiny secondary concern, but I can't see it being the driving factor in keeping Raptor private.

That too, meaning the engine competition. But I'd still be wary of it being a  4th front. 
« Last Edit: 07/06/2014 06:43 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography