Author Topic: SpaceX Starship : Florida Prototype(s) Thread 2 : Discussion  (Read 292265 times)

Offline Eka

KSC Roberts road facility. It's on Kennedy Space Center property.

are drones prohibited on that road? if not, someone could take some pictures a little higher so we can see better what's going on there
Yes, it is on NASA property.
We talk about creating a Star Trek future, but will end up with The Expanse if radical change doesn't happen.

Offline fael097

are drones prohibited on that road? if not, someone could take some pictures a little higher so we can see better what's going on there

The road itself is inside NASA property? Because the drone wouldn't have to fly above the property or anything, just going up and snatching some pictures from the road would be enough to provide a better understanding of the location
Rafael Adamy

Offline Eka

Wasn't there another location for assembly pictured recently among the trees somewhere?
What happened to that?

See the Tweets in this post.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48893.msg2004407#msg2004407

A little further away than a drone,but  ;)
A good DSLR with telephoto and image stabilization would get sharp images. Even a gyroscopic stabilizer would help, but they are more costly. Can be rented, but costly. They also take learning how to use. Especially how to get it to pan with what you are photographing.
We talk about creating a Star Trek future, but will end up with The Expanse if radical change doesn't happen.

Offline Eka

The road itself is inside NASA property? Because the drone wouldn't have to fly above the property or anything, just going up and snatching some pictures from the road would be enough to provide a better understanding of the location
KSC boundary is red. Spacex Roberts Road place it pointed to by the tag. Images is from an environmental assessment doc.

Offline Herobrine

• Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: SpaceX Starship : Florida Prototype(s) Thread 2 : Discussion
« Reply #484 on: 11/15/2019 11:57 am »
The Roberts Road site is inside the FAA's restricted area R-2932. Flight below 5000 ft is prohibited at any time here, so sadly, no drones.

Details on R-2932 can be found at: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7400.8SBasic.pdf

The relevant bit:
« Last Edit: 11/15/2019 12:03 pm by Herobrine »

Offline Zpoxy

• KSC
  • Liked: 193
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #485 on: 11/15/2019 12:02 pm »
Wasn't there another location for assembly pictured recently among the trees somewhere?
What happened to that?

See the Tweets in this post.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48893.msg2004407#msg2004407

Yes, all privately owned drones are prohibited on the Kennedy Space Center.

Offline aero

• Liked: 1135
  • Likes Given: 358
« Reply #486 on: 11/16/2019 03:51 pm »
You don't suppose they are slow rolling until they get some results from the Mk1 flight coming up, do you? They may be at a point in the construction where test flight results would help to refine the design of Starship. I can't imagine what it would be though.
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline Eka

You don't suppose they are slow rolling until they get some results from the Mk1 flight coming up, do you? They may be at a point in the construction where test flight results would help to refine the design of Starship. I can't imagine what it would be though.
I see three reasons.
1. Most of the Mk2 crew is working on Mk1.
2. Waiting for results. (Have them work on #1 to speed it up)
3. KSC is getting a full launch tower instead of the minimal stand BC is getting.

Offline fael097

I see three reasons.
3. KSC is getting a full launch tower instead of the minimal stand BC is getting.

I thought Mk2 crew went to texas to help assembling Mk1 for the presentation and left. I remember the parking lot at Cocoa site being almost empty those days, and back to normal soon after.
Rafael Adamy

Offline Eka

I see three reasons.
I thought Mk2 crew went to texas to help assembling Mk1 for the presentation and left. I remember the parking lot at Cocoa site being almost empty those days, and back to normal soon after.
OK scratch #1.
Maybe the welders are working on parts they have a good idea won't change, and doing it in the buildings. Stuff like thrust structures, manifolds, flaps, fairings, etc. They could also be making build jigs. If they are made out of 301 stainless steel they expand and contract the same as the metal in the parts. Another thing I haven't seen is cradles for holding the SS as it is moved.

I know some have wondered if the Cocoa welders were working on tower parts. A while back EM mentioned the launch tower was being built off site in parts, and could be erected relatively fast when the time came. I figured it was an outside contractor building it, not Cocoa, because I considered that was the sane way to handle it. Maybe Cocoa welders are just doing the plumbing because the contractor wasn't willing to do cryogenic piping. Hence why we see manifolds that don't look right for a SS. What they are assembling at Pad 39A is much bigger than the stand at Boca Chica. Having the tower crane will allow lifting to vertical and stacking with only a short crane to help. We could see the final integration and testing at the pad while facilities at Roberts road are finished.

Offline Anjin_

• Venice, CA
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #490 on: 11/18/2019 05:55 pm »
More shots

https://twitter.com/julia_bergeron/status/1196495171468374019

The upper bulkhead for Starship MK2 has officially been lifted. The Cocoa yard seems to have taken a different approach than they did in Boca Chica for the design.
#MK2 #SpaceX

Wow, the bulkhead looks a lot more well finished than the MK1

Offline fael097

Noticed a new vent by the top access port. I'm assuming the bulkhead is going to be installed below the top access port
« Last Edit: 11/19/2019 02:34 am by fael097 »
Rafael Adamy

Offline Zpoxy

• KSC
  • Liked: 193
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #492 on: 11/19/2019 09:17 am »
I noticed the first signs of activity along the 528 Beachline transportation route yesterday afternoon on the way home from work. There was a large pile of debris (garbage, junk, tree limbs etc.) staged on the cement seawall. Also preparation on the ground, there is a long deep swale that will have to be filled and levelled. I saw signs of activity there around some drainage pipes that will need to be covered. Slow but sure.

I wonder if the parts we are seeing at Roberts Road are MK3 and Coca is staking MK4. During the presentation Elon kept talking MK1&2 and MK4&5 and never said anything about MK3. Then someone found Roberts Road and a dome sitting there. COCa just installed the final dome on MK2 and has I believe a dome sitting in the building garage. Last we saw Roberts Road dome is still sitting there. Coca doesn't need a dome they are building their own dome for the next MK or Heavy.

My gut is telling me that the roberts site isn't an assembly area, but a full construction area for additional Starships. If his timeline is to be met they need Roberts Road not doing final assembly of Coca Starships but it's own construction. The genius of pitching a sprung building in a field and start construction of Rockets. I also believe but can't remember where Elon said that final assembly will be at 39A, which would be as we are seeing it in Boca. Roberts IMO is it's own Starship, MK3.

Offline SteveU

• New England
  • Liked: 411
  • Likes Given: 2061
« Reply #494 on: 11/19/2019 01:40 pm »
I wonder if the parts we are seeing at Roberts Road are MK3 and Coca is staking MK4. During the presentation Elon kept talking MK1&2 and MK4&5 and never said anything about MK3. Then someone found Roberts Road and a dome sitting there. COCa just installed the final dome on MK2 and has I believe a dome sitting in the building garage. Last we saw Roberts Road dome is still sitting there. Coca doesn't need a dome they are building their own dome for the next MK or Heavy.

My gut is telling me that the roberts site isn't an assembly area, but a full construction area for additional Starships. If his timeline is to be met they need Roberts Road not doing final assembly of Coca Starships but it's own construction. The genius of pitching a sprung building in a field and start construction of Rockets. I also believe but can't remember where Elon said that final assembly will be at 39A, which would be as we are seeing it in Boca. Roberts IMO is it's own Starship, MK3.
Just a guess - Roberts Road will start the production of SuperHeavy - leave the more complicated assembly of SS at Coca for the time being.  I believe that eventually all Florida construction will be at KSC - Roberts Road or elsewhere.
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." - Confucius

Offline marsbase

• North Carolina
  • Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #495 on: 11/19/2019 02:35 pm »

Nope.  Elon was clear that Mk3 will be built, probably starting in October, in Boca.  Mention of Mk3 is at 51:00 in the presentation video. 

Offline retrojet

• Gemany
    • alexrex.de
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #496 on: 11/20/2019 09:47 pm »
I wonder if they will change the design of the bulkhead from MK2 after the RUD of MK1 at boca ?

Offline smndk

• Denmark
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #497 on: 11/20/2019 09:59 pm »
I wonder if they will change the design of the bulkhead from MK2 after the RUD of MK1 at boca ?
It does not look like that it was the bulkhead that failed. It looks like the complete top ring or two blew off.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2019 09:59 pm by smndk »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4183
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #498 on: 11/20/2019 10:02 pm »
It does not look like that it was the bulkhead that failed. It looks like the complete top ring or two blew off.

Looked to me like Mk2's dome is a different design anyhow.
DM

Offline tenkendojo

• usa
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 213
« Reply #499 on: 11/21/2019 02:41 pm »

Looked to me like Mk2's dome is a different design anyhow.

Grain silo design in contrast to the Texas Water tower...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography