Author Topic: SpaceX Starship : Florida Prototype(s) Thread 2 : Discussion  (Read 292154 times)

Offline RobLynn

• Per Molestias Eruditio
  • NZ
  • Liked: 483
  • Likes Given: 213
Re: SpaceX Starship : Florida Prototype(s) Thread 2 : Discussion
« Reply #460 on: 11/11/2019 06:26 pm »
3 or 6? credit Seamore Holdings
No application for linear branching manifold arrays in starship, and probably not in superheavy either - will more likely be tree structures, so I am picking launch pad water deluge system
The glass is neither half full nor half empty, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 49239
  • Likes Given: 16696
« Reply #461 on: 11/11/2019 07:36 pm »
Is Mk 2 a bit taller than Mk 1?

https://twitter.com/13ericralph31/status/1193987322762547201

You made me want to compare them and... intriguing! Looks like Mk2's barrel section is already substantially taller than Mk1 if you account for the foot or two that will be cut off Mk2 to remove it from the concrete stand.

Offline fael097

Is Mk 2 a bit taller than Mk 1?

https://twitter.com/13ericralph31/status/1193987322762547201

You made me want to compare them and... intriguing! Looks like Mk2's barrel section is already substantially taller than Mk1 if you account for the foot or two that will be cut off Mk2 to remove it from the concrete stand.

they will probably cut off half a ring from the bottom of each section like they did with mk1, so I'd say no.

my understanding is that mk1 and mk2 are different approaches to building the same design.
Rafael Adamy

Offline fael097

John's new picture on twitter:

https://twitter.com/John_Winkopp/status/1194288326800560128

on bottom right corner now we can see 2 raceway covers that transition to bottom fin aero covers, one of those new aero covers for the top fins (that were just installed on mk1) and one of the covers that will transition to the top end, which are yet to be installed on mk1 too.

edit: inside the nose cone there's a rectangular section, most likely the slot for the fin actuator piece.

gonna reupload so you can see in full res: credits John Winkopp / Seamore Holdings
« Last Edit: 11/12/2019 04:57 pm by fael097 »
Rafael Adamy

Offline kevindbaker2863

• Columbus, Ohio
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #464 on: 11/12/2019 06:05 pm »
Usually SpaceX does not spend time doing something without a reason.  Is it possible that the rings that have been done a long time but just laying around are actually some kind of welding or orther manufacturing process test to see how much it corrodes or if different processes corrode differently?   instead of "lets go ahead and put some rings together to get ahead?

Offline fael097

Usually SpaceX does not spend time doing something without a reason.  Is it possible that the rings that have been done a long time but just laying around are actually some kind of welding or orther manufacturing process test to see how much it corrodes or if different processes corrode differently?   instead of "lets go ahead and put some rings together to get ahead?

Can't speak for SpaceX, but I wouldn't make dozens of rings 9m in diameter, weighing hundres of pounds just to see how a weld behaves.
Rafael Adamy

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1858
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #466 on: 11/12/2019 06:54 pm »
It would appear that the reason Mk2 (tanks) section is currently taller than MK1 was that they added that last ring section to the top of Mk2 tanks instead of the bottom of the fairing as it is on Mk1.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2019 06:56 pm by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 49239
  • Likes Given: 16696
« Reply #467 on: 11/13/2019 08:52 am »
I missed this in Maryís photo:

https://twitter.com/spacechri/status/1194518476687388675

Sittiní on the top of a ... s t a r s h i p !

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 14988
« Reply #468 on: 11/13/2019 09:52 am »
Unpopular opinion... Compared to Texas Mk 1, Florida prototype Mk 2 just doesn't look like it has moved forward much in months. 

To paraphrase a young Fred Savage from The Princess Bride... "When does it get good?"

Are they ever going to put the domes in and fins on?

Offline capoman

• Ontario Canada
  • Liked: 1441
  • Likes Given: 1326
« Reply #469 on: 11/13/2019 12:12 pm »
Unpopular opinion... Compared to Texas Mk 1, Florida prototype Mk 2 just doesn't look like it has moved forward much in months. 

To paraphrase a young Fred Savage from The Princess Bride... "When does it get good?"

Agreed, but there appears to be some things likely in play here. First, preassembly seems to be getting tested in Florida such as many of the dome components, and possibly internal components before attaching the dome. They also may be looking to complete internal components first for EHS reasons as there is better internal airflow with the dome off. Preassembly may make final assembly very fast once it does occur.

Mk2 may also be waiting on testing results of Mk1, and there may be some engineering changes in progress for Mk2 already after learnings of MK1. The fact they have started work on MK4 for known components (rings) points to the fact there might be an engineering hold going on as well at times.

There is also the possibility that Mk2 may not fly if MK1 is successful and may go right to work on orbital versions. If that is true, MK4 could be assembled much more quickly since most of it's rings appear to be completed.

It's also possible that personnel from Florida may be in Texas assisting in getting MK1 ready for flight sooner. There are a lot of cranes in use in Texas, not unlike when they rushed to fit Starship for the presentation.

These are all possibles of course, and we have no facts here, but I'm sure SpaceX has their reasons, some of which I may have gotten above.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 7992
  • Likes Given: 934
« Reply #470 on: 11/13/2019 12:40 pm »

I believe itís all but confirmed that a large part of the Florida team is in Texas getting MK1 ready for flight.

It seems pretty logical to let MK1 testing inform / confirm MK 2 design decisions. Therefore itís unsurprising to see little work happening at Coco. Personally Iíd be more surprised if they were running full bore over there.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Ionmars

• North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 642
  • Likes Given: 1748
« Reply #471 on: 11/13/2019 12:57 pm »

I believe itís all but confirmed that a large part of the Florida team is in Texas getting MK1 ready for flight.

It seems pretty logical to let MK1 testing inform / confirm MK 2 design decisions. Therefore itís unsurprising to see little work happening at Coco. Personally Iíd be more surprised if they were running full bore over there.
Also waiting for Raptors. Elon said they could be the crimp in the pipeline, so SpX trying to ramp up production.
« Last Edit: 11/13/2019 01:01 pm by Ionmars »

Offline TorenAltair

• Germany
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #472 on: 11/13/2019 02:17 pm »
[...] Personally Iíd be more surprised if they were running full bore over there.
I don't think they are in some kind of stand-by mode. In each video of John Winkopp you can see lots of cars, though I agree with you that they are waiting for some results from Texas regarding MK2. I wonder what that layout of the large factory building is. Is there a large workspace inside or mostly smaller "offices".

PS: There's a BBQ going on in the latest video from John Winkopp  8)  (bottom right, near the pool)

Offline capoman

• Ontario Canada
  • Liked: 1441
  • Likes Given: 1326
« Reply #473 on: 11/13/2019 02:24 pm »
[...] Personally Iíd be more surprised if they were running full bore over there.
I don't think they are in some kind of stand-by mode. In each video of John Winkopp you can see lots of cars, though I agree with you that they are waiting for some results from Texas regarding MK2. I wonder what that layout of the large factory building is. Is there a large workspace inside or mostly smaller "offices".

PS: There's a BBQ going on in the latest video from John Winkopp  8)  (bottom right, near the pool)

Looking at the manifolds and such, looks like they are also working on non-Starship components as well, possibly launch pad components.

We saw components like the control surfaces, raceway covers, mounting brackets, leg assemblies all being trucked into Boca Chica, could it be that all of these parts for both MK1 and MK2 are being built indoors at the Cocoa facility?

Offline OTV Booster

• Terra is my nation; currently Kansas
  • Liked: 2864
  • Likes Given: 4748
« Reply #475 on: 11/13/2019 10:38 pm »

I knew the Fl crew was in Tx for the presentation but havenít heard one way or the other about them being down there now.

Boy Iíd like to hear some of those bar conversations. ďYíall donít know whacher doin. Itís all wrong.Ē
We are on the cusp of revolutionary access to space. One hallmark of a revolution is that there is a disjuncture through which projections do not work. The thread must be picked up anew and the tapestry of history woven with a fresh pattern.

Online Nevyn72

• Australia
  • Liked: 948
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #476 on: 11/13/2019 11:09 pm »
Maybe there's a bit of a go-slow on the Florida build because there's nowhere for it go yet.

Boca Chica launch facilities are nearly finished....
Florida? Well, they've started pouring concrete and put up a couple of frames, most of the supporting infrastructure is yet to appear.

Wasn't there another location for assembly pictured recently among the trees somewhere?
What happened to that?

See the Tweets in this post.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48893.msg2004407#msg2004407

Offline Eka

Wasn't there another location for assembly pictured recently among the trees somewhere?
What happened to that?

KSC Roberts road facility. It's on Kennedy Space Center property.
We talk about creating a Star Trek future, but will end up with The Expanse if radical change doesn't happen.

Offline fael097

What happened to that?

are drones prohibited on that road? if not, someone could take some pictures a little higher so we can see better what's going on there
Rafael Adamy

Offline harrystranger

What happened to that?

are drones prohibited on that road? if not, someone could take some pictures a little higher so we can see better what's going on there

A little further away than a drone,but  ;)
It can be really hard to interpret satellite imagery! Local knowledge & an understanding of an areaís history are crucial pieces of the puzzle.
- Rob Simmon

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography