Author Topic: SpaceX Starship : Florida Prototype(s) Thread 2 : Discussion  (Read 292160 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11151
  • Likes Given: 4981
Thread for discussion of the Starship prototype being built in Cocoa, FL (and probably finished at KSC).  Previous posts on this prototype can be found in these threads:

SpaceX BFS : Phase 2 Starship Orbital Prototype(s) - Discussion
SpaceX BFS : Phase 2 - Starship Orbital Prototype(s) - Photos and Updates
Starship Manufacturing in Cocoa, Florida

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 11643
  • Likes Given: 1314
Ok - so how will the half core transition in and out of the structure?  Lift-roll? Permanent rail? Roof mounted rail hoist?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2066
  • Likes Given: 1536
Ok - so how will the half core transition in and out of the structure?  Lift-roll? Permanent rail? Roof mounted rail hoist?

A really big dolly?  ;D

Offline AU1.52

• Life is like riding a bicycle - Einstein
  • Ohio, USA, AU1
  • Liked: 627
  • Likes Given: 680
I just noticed something. One of the 13 rings on the ground has what looks like a port access template on it already!

Online Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 60
I just noticed something. One of the 13 rings on the ground has what looks like a port access template on it already!

I wonder about the rings lying right on the ground, instead of on some kind of a simple rig designed to keep them true and straight. I'm sure their parking lot is wonderfully flat for vehicular traffic, but maybe not so much for precision aerospace components.

I seem to recall the rings are stainless steel of 5/16ths inch thickness, or something near that. Is that thick enough to not be worried about distortion or warping?

Thanks.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 8059
  • Likes Given: 763
https://twitter.com/flying_briann/status/1166085547468709888

#starship update for the day.

They're erecting something inside the doorway of the big hangar.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 11643
  • Likes Given: 1314

They're erecting something inside the doorway of the big hangar.
Roll up door?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 775
  • Likes Given: 1680
I thought roll up door at first but looks more like light bleeding through the back wall.

Offline Yggdrasill

• Norway
  • Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 32
I wonder about the rings lying right on the ground, instead of on some kind of a simple rig designed to keep them true and straight. I'm sure their parking lot is wonderfully flat for vehicular traffic, but maybe not so much for precision aerospace components.

I seem to recall the rings are stainless steel of 5/16ths inch thickness, or something near that. Is that thick enough to not be worried about distortion or warping?

Thanks.
They will warp. But probably not to any significant degree beyond the yield point. Most likely the points in contact with the ground see the most deformation, and that can likely be compensated for in the welding. (And it's not like the prototypes are perfectly unwrinkled. This kind of design doesn't require perfection.)

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2761
  • Likes Given: 3369

Thanks.
They will warp. But probably not to any significant degree beyond the yield point. Most likely the points in contact with the ground see the most deformation, and that can likely be compensated for in the welding. (And it's not like the prototypes are perfectly unwrinkled. This kind of design doesn't require perfection.)

It's a pretty flexible hoop, and the loading on it is only ~1.5kg/cm or so on average.
This is enough that if you put it on a 'flat' surface with no sticky-out sharp rocks, it will flex into rough contact with the ground at enough points to self-support by warping out of circular slightly, and not be deformed at all long-term.

The most you'd expect would be light scratches on the base with no deformation unless it's actually dragged over the ground.

Offline BZHSpace

• France
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 114
For SH :

. According to the heigh of a single ring which I've estimated it's arround 2.5 meters high and to the whole heigh of the SH which is 63, I find that 25 rings are needed to build one SH booster. So 12 rings more are needed to build the whole SH booster. After they finish the SS prototype they will have more spaces to put all the rings.

. The construction of SH will be vertical or horizontal as they do will the SS ? According to me it simple to build horizontally than vertically, SH is higher than an 20 stories building so it will be windy at the top. (I remember that Elon said tha SH will be built horizontally)

. Holes have already be done on some rings so I guess that they will gain some construction time. For me SH construction will be very fast (1 month).

« Last Edit: 08/27/2019 02:13 pm by BZHSpace »
Space will be ours soon.

Online marsbase

• North Carolina
  • Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 63
. The construction of SH will be vertical or horizontal as they do will the SS ? According to me it simple to build horizontally than vertically, SH is higher than an 20 stories building so it will be windy at the top. (I remember that Elon said tha SH will be built horizontally)
SH will be built vertically.  Elon didn't say it would be built horizontally.  He said it would be transported horizontally, but that was a joke. He meant that it would not be launched from the build site in Florida to Pad 39A.

Offline capoman

• Ontario Canada
  • Liked: 1441
  • Likes Given: 1326
Vertical makes more sense. Won't have to deal with sides sagging under their own weight while horizontal, plus the orientation and pressure on the weld lines will be consistent.

Plus, installing bulkheads and such will be easier vertically.
« Last Edit: 08/27/2019 03:20 pm by capoman »

Offline ThatOldJanxSpirit

• Liked: 1074
  • Likes Given: 2354
For SH :

. According to the heigh of a single ring which I've estimated it's arround 2.5 meters high and to the whole heigh of the SH which is 63, I find that 25 rings are needed to build one SH booster. So 12 rings more are needed to build the whole SH booster. After they finish the SS prototype they will have more spaces to put all the rings.

. Holes have already be done on some rings so I guess that they will gain some construction time. For me SH construction will be very fast (1 month).

The double stacked rings used at Boca Chica are around 2.4m high. The single rings at Cocoa are only 1.8m high.

Offline Joffan

The two similar pictures there make a gorgeous stereo pair; cross-eye setup attached.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline Spindog

• US
  • Liked: 211
  • Likes Given: 2
They might want to start some preps with Dorian approaching if it keeps to it's currently forecasted track. There is potential for strong tropical storm force winds in Cocoa by Sunday morning.

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 14988
They still have to cut the prototype in half vertically to get it around the beam. Give 'em a few days, Dorian, please?

Offline DaveH62

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 55
Is the beam a hinge that will swing open to get the ship inside? Will the upper half go inside as well, or just the lower half?

Online AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3514
  • Likes Given: 1867
Is the beam a hinge that will swing open to get the ship inside? Will the upper half go inside as well, or just the lower half?

Looks like the structural steel "in" the doorway is no longer there.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11151
  • Likes Given: 4981

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight