Author Topic: Lockheed Martin awarded a $2.9 Billion contract for 3 Next-Gen OPIR GEO Sats  (Read 17044 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2022/06/tomorrows-missile-warning-satellites-will-join-sbirs-not-replace-them-space-systems-command/368216/  [June 15]

"A set of five planned U.S. missile-warning satellites are often described as “replacing” the Space-Based Infrared Systems satellites that currently keep an eye out for enemy launches. That’s not the case, a Space Systems Command leader said Wednesday."
« Last Edit: 06/24/2022 04:37 am by zubenelgenubi »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Pretty sure you can't get worldwide coverage with 2 GEO satellites...

Space Force wants to trim missile warning satellite program

https://www.defensenews.com/battlefield-tech/space/2023/03/14/space-force-wants-to-trim-missile-warning-satellite-program/

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Space Force’s fiscal 2024 budget proposes cutting one of five satellites from its Next-Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared fleet, according to Chief of Space Operations Gen. Chance Saltzman."
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
Pretty sure you can't get worldwide coverage with 2 GEO satellites...

Space Force wants to trim missile warning satellite program

https://www.defensenews.com/battlefield-tech/space/2023/03/14/space-force-wants-to-trim-missile-warning-satellite-program/

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Space Force’s fiscal 2024 budget proposes cutting one of five satellites from its Next-Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared fleet, according to Chief of Space Operations Gen. Chance Saltzman."
All you need is GEO surveillance coverage over potential hostile launch areas. Basically the Russian Federation, China (including the Korean Peninsula), Indian subcontinent and South Western Asia (including the Eastern Mediterranean region). Surveillance coverage of the Americas could be downgraded.

At least until the follow-on Global IR surveillance system is deployed. Which hopefully will be cheaper and more robust.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Russian and China and even North Korea have missile subs.

Depending on capability (of both the missile and the sub… which in NK’s case is not overwhelming for either), that means potentially the launches could come from anywhere on the 75% of the world’s surface which is water.
« Last Edit: 03/17/2023 02:46 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
Russian and China and even North Korea have missile subs.

Depending on capability (of both the missile and the sub… which in NK’s case is not overwhelming for either), that means potentially the launches could come from anywhere on the 75% of the world’s surface which is water.
AIUI strategic delivery systems in Boomer subs are either launch from very far away or very close to target. Since each delivery system have a minimum range as well as a maximum range. So the Boomer subs have limited deployment zones during active patrols.

Also there are the SOSUS hydrophone arrays deployed in the seabed by the USN that are capable of detecting missile launches as well as the less stealthy subs. Like those of PLAN & KPANF.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Areas south of the equator,  especially places like the South Indian Ocean are not well situated for launching SLBM's. So positioning a GEO bird to cover it might not make the beam counters cut.  Having two satellites in Molniya orbit combined with GEO coverage could provide sufficient coverage of all other areas of interest.

Of course,  if I was India or Australia, I might take a dim view of suggestion of such limited coverage.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Areas south of the equator,  especially places like the South Indian Ocean are not well situated for launching SLBM's. So positioning a GEO bird to cover it might not make the beam counters cut.  Having two satellites in Molniya orbit combined with GEO coverage could provide sufficient coverage of all other areas of interest.

Of course,  if I was India or Australia, I might take a dim view of suggestion of such limited coverage.
All GSO satellites see the northern and Southern Hemispheres equally. Molniya is something else of course, but we were discussing GSO

Besides, more challenging doesn’t mean it can’t. Early warning needs to see everywhere.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
The point is two Molniya birds cover almost every thing north of the equator. You really only need GSO satellites to cover areas with below the equator. With two, you limit coverage to areas that have a chance of being used to launch SLBM's towards the US. That would be stationing satellites over the Atlantic and Pacific. While I do not think it is a good idea to not place a third bird over Indian Ocean, that most likely seems to be the logic.

The original plan for five was two Molniya and three GSO satellites. They want to delete one of the GSO birds. Which will mean reduced coverage somewhere south of the equator. Deleting one of the two Molniya satellites means you will have short extremely predictable coverage gaps over the north artic regions every 12 hours.

That said, the DSP satellites prior to SBIRS where extremely long lived. I wonder if they are gambling that one of the GEO SBIRS satellites will be able to provide coverage for much longer than it's design life....

From the article...
The Space Force decided a “two-by-two” constellation — meaning two polar and two GEO satellites — would be “sufficient to ensure that the mission did not have any gaps,” he said.

If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Back to 3 GEO birds?

Lockheed Martin Space, Sunnyvale, California, has been awarded a $122,213,602 modification (P00102) to contract FA8810-18-C-0005 to plan and prepare for post-launch activities for all three Next Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared Geosynchronous Space Vehicles. This contract provides for development of adequate program protection, and product support planning. The modification brings the total cumulative face value of the contract to $7,225,147,630. Work will be performed at Sunnyvale, California, and is expected to be completed by May 31, 2024. Fiscal 2023 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $28,727,026 are being obligated at the time of award. The U.S. Space Force Space Systems Command, Space Sensing, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California, is the contracting activity.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
Back to 3 GEO birds?

Lockheed Martin Space, Sunnyvale, California, has been awarded a $122,213,602 modification (P00102) to contract FA8810-18-C-0005 to plan and prepare for post-launch activities for all three Next Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared Geosynchronous Space Vehicles. This contract provides for development of adequate program protection, and product support planning. The modification brings the total cumulative face value of the contract to $7,225,147,630. Work will be performed at Sunnyvale, California, and is expected to be completed by May 31, 2024. Fiscal 2023 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $28,727,026 are being obligated at the time of award. The U.S. Space Force Space Systems Command, Space Sensing, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California, is the contracting activity.
The short answer is yes with this contract baselining three sats and the long answer is no. The reason being is Australia is planning its own compatible system with LM Australia involved. Any additional satellites are presently to involve allied involvement and financing. The base system is intended to maintain coverage over the US's priority theatres.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Why would a replacement satellite system need a new relay capability?

https://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/northrop-grumman-rapidly-prepares-for-next-generation-relay-ground-stations-in-the-pacific-region

BOULDER, Colo. – June 1, 2023 – Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) recently completed a successful preliminary design review (PDR) of Relay Ground Station-Asia (RGS-A) for the U.S. Naval Information Warfare Center (NIWC) Pacific.

RGS-A will connect critical legacy and next-generation satellites and end users.
    The successful PDR confirms the company is on track to transform the existing missile-warning system.
    The review was completed a month ahead of schedule, demonstrating the company’s ability to rapidly meet changing customer requirements.

Northrop Grumman Rapidly Prepares for Next-Generation Relay Ground Stations in the Pacific Region
Relay Ground Station-Asia (RGS-A) will be deployed in Guam and connect legacy and next-generation missile-warning and tracking satellites. Artist Rendering (Credit: Northrop Grumman) 

Expert:

Aaron Dann, vice president, strategic force programs, Northrop Grumman: “The preliminary design review exceeded our customers’ expectations and is the next step in delivering much-needed new capabilities to the Pacific region. Our advanced technologies will deliver what is needed to support missile-warning and missile-tracking satellites that protect our nation and its allies.”

Details:

The U.S. Space Force is working to transform the existing missile-warning system with the Future Operationally Resilient Ground Evolution (FORGE) system. A cornerstone of the FORGE architecture includes developing relay ground stations capable of supporting existing and new satellite constellations with the ability to handle changes in bandwidth and availability.

Northrop Grumman was awarded a $99.6 million five-year contract from NIWC Pacific last year to design, develop, integrate, test and deliver the relay ground station. The majority of the work will take place at Northrop Grumman’s campus in Boulder, Colorado.

NIWC Pacific will develop six antennas for RGS-A to enable the Space Systems Command (SSC) next generation Space-Based Infrared System (SBIRS) ground system which keeps legacy satellites in geosynchronous orbit. RGS-A will be deployed to Guam and is on schedule to be installed by late 2025.

Northrop Grumman is a leading global aerospace and defense technology company. Our pioneering solutions equip our customers with the capabilities they need to connect and protect the world, and push the boundaries of human exploration across the universe. Driven by a shared purpose to solve our customers’ toughest problems, our 95,000 employees define possible every day. 

Offline TrevorMonty

These are early warning missile detection satellites, need reliable comms.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18

These are early warning missile detection satellites, need reliable comms.

That implies the current satellites do not.  The US has reserved designated orbital slots that are being filled by DSP and SBIRs GEO satellites.  Any replacements will go into those slots.  Existing comm paths are supporting those missions from those slots.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2023 05:06 pm by Targeteer »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/space/2023/07/12/congress-queries-space-force-plan-for-fewer-missile-warning-satellites/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=air-dnr

"“Although the Space Force has stated that curtailing the program prior to execution of all three satellites would have little to no effect, the committee has not received comprehensive analysis to show that to be the case, nor assurances that this curtailment would have no effect on the Space Force’s ability to meet STRATCOM requirements,” the committee said in a report accompanying its bill."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/space/2024/02/28/missile-warning-sensor-payload-delay-could-push-back-2025-launch-plans/

"A key missile warning satellite’s sensor payload is a year behind schedule, according to the Space Force’s top acquisition official."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography