Author Topic: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)  (Read 994644 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6
« Reply #160 on: 02/26/2013 06:15 pm »
Before I do next with the Emergency shower, a short detour to the Eye wash, that's the eyes shower made of stainless steel which can be seen on this photo beautifully right next to the Emergency shower.

Source: NASA

For the small vessel I have separated a small ring of a 3.0 mm plastic pipe, was closed down with a 1.8 mm round profile. On the back of the frame of the emergency shower small brackets for the Sprinkler pipe are glued on,

that I have bent from 0.6 mm round profile. Next to it is the small eye shower.

By the way I started with the GO2-Monitoring Panel, which is left of the double Transducer Panel on the Access platform AP 1, and looks similar to the GH2-Monitoring Panel for the LH2-Valve skid.

Source: J. Patterson (NASASpaceFlight.com)

The frame is made of square profile again 0,5x0,5 mm, the front panel is similar to the other Monitoring panel.

And there, the Panel now stands on its place.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #161 on: 02/27/2013 06:30 am »
Now, the Sprinkler pipe was further structured.

Next, the inlet pipe has been assembled, made of 0.6 mm round profile,

which must be performed through the frame.

And then also the fitting fit quite well with the elbow pipe and the reduced inlet pipe.

Again only a few minor equipment details that further round out the picture, but otherwise quite held something back.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #162 on: 02/28/2013 10:25 am »
Once the inlet pipe is painted, the Emergency shower could be installed now also fixed.

And already it goes on with the small Eye wash, which got also a supply,

that goes through the railing and was adapted to the inlet pipe of the Emergency shower.

Before connecting the Eye wash I still glued the railing,

and then the Eye wash was installed. Thus, the safety instructions on the Side 1 would now also met.

Behind the railing, then follows a ladder that leads from the lower platform AP 2 to the upper platform AP 3 and the upper part has a Ladder cage,

as is shown in this picture. And therefore now after a long time again a Ladder Cage is to scratch-build, which is but not so long as on the corner right next to it.

As far as once again for today.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #163 on: 02/28/2013 10:46 am »
Manfred, your model looks beyond amazing!  :o I am rather sure that I will never build such a detailed and skillful model, because I am not a person with much patience in anything. And this is not a rocket or spacecraft model, but a mobile launch platform....... I certainly don't have such an interest on ground facilities!  :P
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #164 on: 02/28/2013 02:40 pm »
Thanks for your nice words.

I am also glad that the MLP as a first step to a entire Launch pad will soon have managed.

For me, the whole Launch pad is a great challenge, and this include not only just the Shuttle stack, many guys prefer to build, but also as the complete service structure with FSS, RSS and a Crawler.

BTW, patience is very important in such a demanding project, and one point also: No pain, no gain.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #165 on: 03/04/2013 04:35 pm »
And now to the Ladder Cage from the Access Platform AP 2 to AP 3. For making I have resorted again to my successful practice. I had picked up the core for the winding of the basket so wisely.

First strips were cut from Evergreen strips 0,25x0,5 mm and rings bent under hot air, this time but only five instead of seven, as the passage to the platform remains free.

The struts and the ladder were then placed on tape strips and together wrapped around the core and so fixed.

This time, only two rings are required for happiness, because the basket is only as high as the railing.

The rings were glued again with Superglue, so that your seat is just fixed.

And so the small basket was almost finished after depositing the protruding parts and was omitted only at the transit point.

After cutting the ladder on the final length the ladder cage could be painted.

Then, installation of the basket and the railing before and behind followed. Meanwhile, even the handrails on the Access platform AP 4 have been mounted.

Yet the last parts of the railing before the stairs were attached at the end,

thus, the railings on the Side 1 are now finally complete.  

I will not initially install the two large Ladder cages at the corners, because these fragile structures during another handling with the MLP body would probably only an obstacle and could go to break, which would be a shame.  

« Last Edit: 03/22/2013 09:57 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #166 on: 03/06/2013 06:53 pm »
Hello together,

did today again for fire protection. I had made me recently's thoughts on the striking red wires on the MLP-2 on STS-6 and tried corresponding colors.

Source: http://www.retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

As I have now learnt from NSF by padrat, a longtime employee at the Launch pad, these are FIREX lines that provide various Sprinkler systems. And that I've retrofitted today as a precaution, because anything can happen ... 

As you can see in this old photo of the MLP-2 on STS-6, this line runs almost over the entire length of the Side 1, runs under the two Blast shields and is therefore on most pics hard to detect.

Source: http://www.retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

The pipes are from 0.5 mm or 0.8 mm Evergreen rods.

And I have installed now the painted pipes with my pattern No. 4 in several parts.

Although the normal viewer hardly can see the other parts of the line under the Blast shields, I've installed it but still, safety first ...

Unfortunately, the colors in the sunlight are too distorted by a blue color fog, because I had to go very close to the window so that the red lines are visible. 

Now, the safety inspection can come safely ... 

« Last Edit: 03/06/2013 06:55 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #167 on: 03/13/2013 01:36 pm »
Hello together,

now work on Side 1 up on odds and ends are as good as finished, now another important part of MLP equipment is to build  and that's the Sound Suppression Water System (SSWS), which is seen in this picture.

This system is to protect the orbiter with its payload from the acoustic energy reflected from the upper deck of the MLP during launch. For this reason, during Lift-off huge quantities of water are pumped through a piping system and special outlets in the SRB- and SSME exhaust holes and sprayed through six so-called Rainbirds over the MLP deck as you can see here during a SSWS test impressively.

The SSWS includes also respectively 30 Water bags, which in addition are hung from above in the SRB-holes and are intended to support the effect.

The following drawing gives an overview of the SSWS with precise details on the respective tube diameters, which are needed for the scratch-build.

From this picture, it is already clear that the pipe fitters are now really required, the difficulty being that the pipes in some places even rejuvenate.

In the Paper kit all looks and loads one formally to a stressful action, which I'll save me dear again,

already at the sight of the installation instructions joy comes up but determined, or about goosebumps?

I'm still not sure whether I'll build the Rainbirds for the Kit template or may scratch-build them.

And enough of the preface and pure enjoyment. These are the different round profiles that are required with diameters ranging from 1 mm to 6 mm.

On the main pipes with a diameter of 4 mm, you could use also the sprues of the orbiter from the Revell Kit that had been a beautiful 90° elbow.

Here are the templates for the pipe support, after which I first will try the bending variant for the pipe with 4 mm. The actual line is only the outer gray border, the rest is support base.

The bending of 4 mm rods is not easy due to the strength, to do this you must preheat well already with a hair dryer, in order to get a 90° elbow then after bending bit by bit. And before the next bend you must inflate the 6 mm pipe for the thicker inlet pipe downwards, otherwise it afterwards would have a problem.

And so the pipe fits then about the SRB-Exhaust hole. The last section is a little further on the TSM than is provided in the paper kit.  

As far as today for the beginning.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #168 on: 03/15/2013 05:44 am »
And now further went with the pipe for the other SRB hole. To do this I have applied this time another variant for bending, because what is using hot air, should work well in a hot water bath and maybe even easier.

Therefore, I have kept the bending point of the rod in boiling water a while and then bent. And behold, that was even easier than with the hair dryer because the rod in the water can warm through better and more evenly and therefore easier to soften.

And so you get to also cleaner and more accurate bends.

So long.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

• Olympia, washington USA
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #169 on: 03/21/2013 05:09 pm »
Manfred, I have lurned so much just from looking at your photos. Please keep posting so we all can see what a great job you are diong. Thank You
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #170 on: 03/21/2013 05:56 pm »
Manfred, I have lurned so much just from looking at your photos. Please keep posting so we all can see what a great job you are diong. Thank You

This model build reveals what a MASSIVE amount of engineering went into the MLP, that's for sure.

Lego is my preferred medium, which limits the detail level and fidelity of proportion that can be achieved, but it's fun.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=1682-1 and http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6339-1 only hint at the MLP, but they are very small scale ....

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10213-1 has the wing holders modeled a bit better but still is lacking in MLP detail, although the Orbiter/ET/SRB proportions are better.

Might be fun to build a CT and MLP to Shuttle Adventure (10213) scale and I know where I am going to be cribbing detail ideas from :)
« Last Edit: 03/21/2013 06:06 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #171 on: 03/25/2013 10:29 am »
Thanks for the nice words, I'll go on doing my best.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #172 on: 03/25/2013 10:37 am »

This model build reveals what a MASSIVE amount of engineering went into the MLP, that's for sure.

Lego is my preferred medium, which limits the detail level and fidelity of proportion that can be achieved, but it's fun.

Thanks for your kind comment. Why not LEGO?  Easy to start your own thread and show us your builds.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #173 on: 03/25/2013 10:52 am »
Hello together,

so, today's continues now with the SSWS, and what does it take to install such pipes on the deck of the MLP?
Exactly, lots of Pipe supports, we so also no longer had! 

To do this, I have browsed my photo collection first once again to find out where all the Pipe supports everywhere sit. I've started with the supports of the 24" main line (Ø 4.0 mm) around the SRB holes from which then the six 18" inlet pipes (Ø 3.0 mm) are branching off to the outlets in the SRB exhaust holes, respectively the two rear pipes (between the Hold down posts) are reduced again on 12" (Ø 2.0 mm).  

If you look closely, you can see two versions of the Pipe supports. The majority of the supports is placed directly on joints of the main line segments can be seen on the narrow locking straps, which are clearly visible in the next image on the right.

But there are also some supports without these locking straps, as in the foreground, which have all the same construction. These supports are unfortunately only hinted in the Paper kit.

In the following already shown overview drawing I've assigned the places of all Pipe support, and thereby not amazed, namely each 18 supports on each SRB hole.

The supports with the locking straps are located on the 14 green marked points, the remaining 4 supports on the red marked points having no such straps. When evaluating the photographic material I have discovered some supports (1, 3, 8, 12, 14) and supplemented, which are missing from the drawing.

Again, this means all in all a lot of detailed work.   But don't worry, these supports also will be done sometime, however I have to consider quite a while as I could scratch-build the best.  

Came out is the following variant, where I assumed first of those profiles here. The two lower profiles are a 3.0 mm U-beam or 3.0 mm Evergreen channel, which can be used for the lower part of the supports. For the upper part, where the pipeline runs, I used a 3 mm square tube, which I have 2x slotted on one side to come to a U-shaped profile with the necessary structural height.

And so looks like the finished SSWS Pipe support.

Thus, the SSWS line then runs approx. 3 mm above the MLP deck, which has resulted in my assessment on the basis of detailed photos.   
And now I need to make only the remaining 35 supports ...

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #174 on: 03/29/2013 04:42 pm »
Before I start with the pipe support mass production, I started now with the preparations of the Water Bags. This so-called SRB ignition overpressure suppression system is a subsystem of the SSWS. These are plastic bags, which are hooked before the start into the two SRB Exhaust holes and then filled with water, which should in addition to swallow the pressure wave of booster ignition and prevent the reflection of sound waves.

There are 10 yellow water bags in the Primary SRB Hole between the four Hold down Posts just below the SRBs,

Source: http://www.youtube.com

and 20 red bags in the Secondary SRB Hole behind it, that here just be filled in the image.

So, first again I had to determine the dimensions, then choose the appropriate materials, and construct a suitable form.

The shape of the arches, I have identified from this NASA photo and measured on the monitor.

I have found information on the dimensions of the water bags on the SSWS page at capcomespace.net. Therefore, the water bags have a cross-section of 30x30 cm, which corresponds to approx. 1,9x1,9 mm in my scale (1:160). I.e. I'll make the partitions with the bow shape from 0.2 mm sheet and paste a rectangular profile 2,0x1,5 mm at the bottom, which should come out then in about and looks in my sketch for the template.

Let's start with the cut of 21 partitions and the 20 profiles for the first SRB Hole,

as well as a first fitting.

And these are now all puzzle pieces,

must be glued only.

Here I must take into account now but still the recesses for the inlet pipe in the corner and the two branches into the hole before the Hold down Posts.

So far for the beginning ...

« Last Edit: 03/03/2017 11:32 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #175 on: 04/01/2013 11:39 pm »
Manfred, your shuttle project is still looking so good!! Keep up the great work.

Crawler 14/499
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #176 on: 04/07/2013 07:20 am »
Thanks for the nice words.

I hope that you had found all of your Easter eggs and had no rotten egg in the nest like me. That was a nasty surprise.   The bad thing is that I've created me even in the nest.

When measuring in the SRB holes for the arrangement of the water bags in front of the Hold down posts I have checked the location of one SRB and got a mild shock.   The size and location of the SRB template indicated me that there would be a very serious problem with the 1:144 shuttle stack which I totally must have lost sight during the former MLP construction according to my analysis of the scale dilemma of the Revell launch Tower Kit with his Mini-MLP (1:200).

As you can see, the attachment points of the SRB on the front two Hold down posts sit about on its front edge and therefore too far forward. That would in itself not broken, if you would lay both Hold down posts accordingly further forward, though for the pipe down almost no place would more.

But this is unfortunately not a solution if one imagines now the location of the shuttle stack with the mighty ET between the SRBs. At that thought, I got a queasy feeling in the stomach and had to bite in hindsight in the butt me.

How could I that overlook at that time only, would fit the spatial geometry of the stacks in 1:144 inevitably not to the MLP-scale of 1:160. But since then I have focused in my heat only on the construction of the MLP, what should take revenge now.

Nevertheless, everything would have been if, but helping now no longer, and therefore I must see me how I can solve the problem, since only helps teeth high and head bite, since I must go through ...

Therefore all further work on the Water bags and SSWS pipes was being discontinued for the time and the crisis staff convened to find a way out. There is a solution for everything!

Therefore I put temporarily along the Airfix stack, to see how that now specifically looks on the spot.

As can be easily seen on the images, the SRB are inevitably too close together (1:160) holes for the stack (1:144). As a result I will not come around willy-nilly to major interventions in the SRB holes,   because I must transfer in about the geometry of the stack at least in lateral direction.

Also another thing struck me on the occasion. At the sight of the imposing size of the stack the 1:160 TSMs seem purely optically too small in the relation, what has surprised me.

Therefore, I've put a TSM from the Revell Kit compared in addition.

I don't know how it is you, but I find that the larger TSM is visually better fits to the stack.   and also because of the mounting height of the orbiter on the stack I should be more consistent manner then the TSMs again build in 1:144, then at least the stack with the orbiter from the height produced the TSMs suits, also in terms of the umbilicals, if I want to mount that sometimes.

What do you think about?

« Last Edit: 05/25/2023 12:07 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #177 on: 04/07/2013 03:27 pm »
   MANFRED, What a dilemma you have here!! Perhaps 1:160 for the MLP was just a little to small, ( I'll keep this in mind when I start my project).

The TSM's do look better with the stack at 1:144 scale, but I'm not sure if the TSM's look ok with the MLP at 1:160 scale ( just a little to big for me). Perhaps a slight resize from 1:144 of the TSM's made from resin?

As for the hold down posts for the SRB and the blast holes... I know you do not want to perform any sort of surgury here, but first ( and this is just how I might handle the situation) I would try a slight relocation of the two holes, a cut and paste sort of deal. After that did not work out so well I would scavange as much as possible and resize the MLP to fit the stack better and start over. Sell off what you started to someone who could use the parts for kit bashing. The piont is to cut your losses asap and correct the situation befor it goes any farther.

The amount of work you have put into this project is considerable, but it has been only a few months of a project that will go on for a year or two.

The piont is, not all interfaces were considered befor resizeing the MLP (and you might check the interface of the MLP with the LUT for that match up also).

I'm just not sure what to say to make you feel any better other than I'm behind you 100% on any desission you make for this problem, and I do so want you to complete the project! I'm just thrilled to see a pro build the same project that I aspire to. I have the revell kit and the LVM details. I was realy hoping that someone would start a thread with this construction project.

Maybe, if its alright with you, we can exchange email address and communicate directly with each other about the situation at hand and anything that might arrise in the future.

I have fears and hopes that you do not get discouraged and give up on the project. I am lurning so much from this post that I want to keep in contact with you over time. Almost everyone starts a thread like this and I find that they do not follow through with the posting and then I lose contact with them and then my projects stall. This one is just to cool to let go by the wayside.

Please keep everyone informed as to how you will deal with this temporary road block and what you deside to do.

Good luck Manfred, I'll be keeping up with your postings if you do also.

RichO,  Crawler14/499

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #178 on: 04/07/2013 05:55 pm »
Hi RichO,

thanks for your compassion and your kind words. What a nice surprise to hear that you want to start a similar major project. What kind of MLP do you want to build?

We can gladly exchange via e-mail. Not afraid, I won't give up, I must correct my errors only. I'll post a few new photos soon and show you my compromise for a way out. 

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #179 on: 04/07/2013 09:16 pm »
Let's go, to better assess of the situation, I have placed a transparent template of 1:144 geometry of SRB- and SSME shafts from the paper kit here for comparison.

As you can see it, you could like this leave the location of the front and inner walls of the SRB-bays. The outer walls would have to be laid, however, further outward to get to the required width of the stack.

From this MLP-floor plan, you can well see the location of the stack on the SRB holes.

From this I've scaled the stack on 1:144 and put it moreover. For the remaining two shaft sides would be offered two compromises:

Compromise 1:
So leave the location of backs and the shaft is widened only appropriately. Then the shaft would be somewhat shorter than in 1:144, but then still relatively little space for the SSWS pipes and the Water bags would remain, since the front two Hold down posts would also go further, apart from the optics.

Compromise 2:
The shafts are modified on the 1:144 length and wander a little bit about the Blast deck. Space would thus be in the holes, both the Hold down post as also for the SSWS pipes and Water bags and the optics would be better off.

Stand today I tend almost to the 2nd compromise solution which would mean certainly more effort.

So you could leave the front SSME hole, only the location of the TSMs would have to be adapted.

The size of the TSMs I would have been more due to the fitting to the stack to the 1:144er version. Here again, a comparison of the two TSMs, 1:144 to 1:160.

What do you say now to the two possibilities, or there may be other alternatives?

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography