Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3  (Read 444618 times)

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
Looks like we are gonna need a transition to ITS thread.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
Im unclear on the use of F9/FH/ITS at 39.  Do we think there will be an ITS specific mount or are they incorporating it into the existing one?  will the FSS (in whatever form it eventually takes) be able to accomodate all those configurations?   
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Im unclear on the use of F9/FH/ITS at 39.  Do we think there will be an ITS specific mount or are they incorporating it into the existing one?  will the FSS (in whatever form it eventually takes) be able to accomodate all those configurations?   

everything will have to change

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Looks like we are gonna need a transition to ITS thread.

Not for years

Offline MarekCyzio

Does anybody know what is the maximum sustained wind speed hangar on LC-39A can handle? VAB had some significant damage from weak CAT 3 hurricane 12 years ago, Matthew may be significantly stronger.

Offline 3Davideo

• Whittier CA
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 14
First, my thoughts are with the people living in the path of Hurricane Matthew.  Keep yourselves safe; human lives are much more valuable than any amount of equipment! 

However, thinking about this storm got me thinking: What lightning protection structures are in place at 39A?  I managed to find out that the lightning masts at SLC-40 are about 120 meters tall, easily tall enough to shield a 70 meter Falcon, but couldn't find anything for 39A.  (Who knows what they'll do for ITS!)

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
However, thinking about this storm got me thinking: What lightning protection structures are in place at 39A?  I managed to find out that the lightning masts at SLC-40 are about 120 meters tall, easily tall enough to shield a 70 meter Falcon, but couldn't find anything for 39A.  (Who knows what they'll do for ITS!)
I believe 39A is still using the Shuttle-era lightning mast on top of the FSS.  That's 347 feet (105m) from ground level to the tip of the lightning mast.

The ITS rendering shows no lightning protection at all.  Somehow, I doubt that will be the case.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2016/06/17/modifications-transforming-pad-a-for-falcon-launches/

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231
With today's storm, I'd be concerned about that tent (for lack of the proper name) over the launch mount on 39A.  If the wind gets under it I don't see any amount of tie down keeping it from launching on its own.  Did anyone see if they at least rolled up the sides so the wind can pass through rather than pushing on it?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
With today's storm, I'd be concerned about that tent (for lack of the proper name) over the launch mount on 39A.  If the wind gets under it I don't see any amount of tie down keeping it from launching on its own.  Did anyone see if they at least rolled up the sides so the wind can pass through rather than pushing on it?
I didn't see a NOTAM for a launch today, so I think we're okay...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
I believe 39A is still using the Shuttle-era lightning mast on top of the FSS.  That's 347 feet (105m) from ground level to the tip of the lightning mast.

The ITS rendering shows no lightning protection at all.  Somehow, I doubt that will be the case.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2016/06/17/modifications-transforming-pad-a-for-falcon-launches/

I wouldn't take anything about the ground infrastructure in that video at face value. It will end up looking quite different.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14

I wouldn't take anything about the ground infrastructure in that video at face value. It will end up looking quite different.

I don't know about that.  If they are going to land that beast back at the 39-A, the lightening towers could be a problem.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Joaosg

The tent has been removed this week (per some KSC tour pics on SpaceX Facebook Group).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spacexgroup/permalink/10154644614536318/
« Last Edit: 10/07/2016 11:02 pm by Joaosg »

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8746

I don't know about that.  If they are going to land that beast back at the 39-A, the lightening towers could be a problem.
If they can't nail the opening between the lightning-protection wires, they certainly have no business trying to connect with the launch mount.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768

If they can't nail the opening between the lightning-protection wires, they certainly have no business trying to connect with the launch mount.
Please use the ITS threads for ITS as this thread is only for Falcon Heavy.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2016 05:34 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27

The tent has been removed this week (per some KSC tour pics on SpaceX Facebook Group).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spacexgroup/permalink/10154644614536318/

Probably to prepare for the hurricane.

Please use the ITS threads for ITS as this thread is only for Falcon Heavy.

Im pretty sure this is the pad 39a thread.

Offline drnscr

• Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 37
Yes, it is the Pad 39A thread... Pad 39A transition to Falcon Heavy...

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
Yes, it is the Pad 39A thread... Pad 39A transition to Falcon Heavy...
SpaceX posted renderings of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy at 39A last year that also show the FSS lightning mast.

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 6766
Space Florida seeks FDOT approval to help SpaceX (Orlando Sentinel)
The agency will ask Florida Department of Transportation for $5 million to contribute to infrastructure improvements on Spaceport Launch Complex 39A, which SpaceX hopes will one day be the site of rocket launches that send humans to Mars.
According to meeting documents, "project match funding" from FDOT would be used for "infrastructure improvements by SpaceX."
« Last Edit: 10/20/2016 01:51 pm by Navier–Stokes »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
By any chance, does anybody know the slope of that pad ramp?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline whitelancer64

« Last Edit: 10/20/2016 08:22 pm by whitelancer64 »
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography