Author Topic: STS-135 Patch Designs  (Read 37321 times)

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
STS-135 Patch Designs
« on: 01/23/2011 01:36 am »
Now that the official STS-135 patch has been released, here are the two designs we at Max-Q came up with and submitted.  Even though we weren't selected, we plan to try again for future missions, whatever they may be, so let us know what you all think!

------------------------------
DESIGN 1

The design of the STS-135 emblem focuses on the success and diversity of the missions and accomplishments of the Space Shuttle Program over its thirty years of service to the world community. To celebrate this diversity, the STS-135 mission emblem pays homage to the idea of the IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination), a philosophy first espoused by the television series after which the first orbiter, Enterprise, was named: Star Trek. Inclusion of the IDIC serves as a visual representation of not only the diverse nature of the 135 space shuttle flights but also the invaluable scientific, medical, and cultural knowledge made possible by this truly iconic program.

Incorporated into the IDIC design for the STS-135 emblem is an image of a space shuttle orbiter hoisting the Multi-Purpose Logistics Module Raffaello (the main payload of the flight) toward the International Space
Station, which is depicted here in its final configuration. The area surrounding the orbiter is adorned with two gold stars and fourteen white stars in honor of the two fallen orbiters (Challenger and Columbia) and their respective STS-51L and STS-107 crews.

At the top of the design, five rays (representing the five flight orbiters – Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour) emerge from the rising sun. The solid orange band surrounding the emblem contains
the name of the orbiter chosen for this historic flight and transforms into the symbol of the Astronaut Office as it intersects with the orbiter’s tail. This transformation signifies the fact that, while the Space Shuttle Program is coming to an end, the legacy of those who have flown aboard the fleet, as well as those who will continue the dream of human space exploration, will forever carry on.
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
Re: STS-135 Patch Designs
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/2011 01:41 am »
DESIGN 2

Serving as a representation of not only the diverse and all-encompassing nature of the 135 Space Shuttle flights, but also the invaluable scientific, medical, and cultural knowledge made possible by the Space Shuttle Program, the STS-135 mission emblem features the Space Shuttle orbiter performing one final victory lap around the International Space Station.

Having emblazoned a trail of success throughout Low Earth Orbit in its 30 years of operation, the Shuttle orbiter, surrounded by two gold stars and 14 white stars in honor of the two fallen Shuttle orbiters (Challenger and Columbia) and their respective STS-51L and STS-107 crews, is seen here with its payload bay doors closed in preparation for its final, triumphant return to Earth.

A tribute to the continuing mission of exploration and understanding of NASA and the international partners, the STS-135 emblem features the ISS (in its final configuration) flying off into a new dawn of hope and inspiration as the world community transitions to a new and exciting age of space exploration beyond Low Earth Orbit.

From the rising sun, six rays of light emerge – serving to immortalize the world-wide legacy of the six Space Shuttle orbiters (Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour) and all those who have flown aboard the fleet. At the same time, the light rays reach out into the depths of space, simultaneously illuminating the possibilities for mankind’s future as well as carrying the dream of exploration
forever onward.

Offline steveS

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: 01/23/2011 02:15 am »
Saw the STS-135 patch at CollectSPACE.com. Nathan, I think Max Q patches are far more nicer  :)  and appropriate than the official patch.

In the official patch ISS is missing, the main purpose of Atlantis flying is to resupply the ISS. Also some thing to commemorate Atlantis' sister orbiters in the fleet would have been nice.

Being the last patch of the historic Space Shuttle Program, I thought  that NASA would get more inputs into the design process.

Offline Ray125

• California
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: 01/23/2011 05:35 am »
Is this the official patch design of the STS 135. This one looks far better than the other space patches. i really like this one.

http://www.collectspace.com/sts135_patch
« Last Edit: 01/23/2011 02:19 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #4 on: 01/23/2011 06:59 am »
All three designs are nice (and all are better than STS-134's), but the Omega symbol sells me on the last design. It says final flight better than the above two proposals.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 01/23/2011 02:26 pm »
Firstly, really nice work with the Max-Q patches. Excellent work.

Secondly, the official patch is a good one. Like it!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #6 on: 01/23/2011 03:46 pm »
Great job, but is it me or does the orbiter on the patch look like ov-101?

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #7 on: 01/23/2011 04:02 pm »

It's reminiscent to me of the program insignia:
http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/images/shuttle-patch.jpg

A few patches have a similar element, STS-1 being an obvious one.  (But also STS-66, STS-84, and STS-115 to some extent.)
« Last Edit: 01/23/2011 04:04 pm by psloss »

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: 01/24/2011 12:19 pm »
First, the Max-Q designs are brilliant, especially the IDIC based one.  As far as the official design, overall I like it, but the use of the blacks and greys make it a bit depressing.  I hope that the yellow in the "omega" portion of the design will be brighter in the embroidered version.  That being said, it's the crew's patch and I'll wear/display it with pride!
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline LostInSpace

• Cape Canaveral
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: 01/24/2011 03:28 pm »
I think the omega looks very similar to the EVA patch outline ;-) 

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: 01/25/2011 01:02 pm »
I like the IDIC MaxQ design. :) It just sums up the shuttle program and what the program did for humanity.  *thumbs up*

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #11 on: 01/25/2011 10:55 pm »
IDIC is my favorite. The two banks of stars are more visible and complementary.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #12 on: 01/27/2011 09:23 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  We had a great time working on these!  We had considered an omega-based design at one point, but decided against it for this reason -

Instead of using the design to recognize a singular, final flight, we wanted to pay tribute to the program as a whole, the symbolism of which can be found in our descriptions.  Some of the ideas behind each design are the same, but we shot for two designs that were quite unique in aesthetic quality to see if either would spark the crew's interest.

Obviously, we lost out to Mrs. Walheim, but we plan to keep trying in the future for when  NASA sends humans into space aboard an American spacecraft again!

Offline Brian Mc

• APOLLO LUNAR SURVEYOR
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: 02/27/2011 09:12 pm »
All three designs are nice (and all are better than STS-134's), but the Omega symbol sells me on the last design. It says final flight better than the above two proposals.

I agree the Omega symbol sells me as well.

Another theme for STS-135 might have been to show the orbiter in landing config (wheels down) reaching for the threshold with a rainbow streak (like a shooting star) in a stary sun setting sky background. The shooting star would represent the ISS and hope for the future. The border could consist of 135 points of light with two a special colour (lest we forget)...

I have to disagree (respectfully) on STS-134. I think that patch is one of the best ever. 

I usually use the next mission patch as my wall paper at work. I dislike STS-133 and have been waiting patiently for it to clear the manifest in order to put up 134's.

I really liked 131's for some reason. I think it was just the over all look and color scheme.

Maybe there should be a thread for favourite patch! It would be a fun discussion...

Just my thoughts,

Brian

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #14 on: 05/05/2011 08:30 pm »
Alright guys - Even though we weren't selected as the designers of the official STS-135 patch, we decided to not let the effort go to waste.  With the help of our good friend Tim Gagnon (who has had quite a few of his designs fly himself), we were able to have the artwork of the IDIC design turned into an actual patch.  Here it is :D

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #15 on: 05/09/2011 06:38 pm »
I just had to post this!

Our very own Nathan Moeller (@AstroN8 on Twitter) sent the following Tweet to STS-135 CDR Chris Ferguson (@Astro_Ferg):

"@Astro_Ferg Do you guys have room for an extra 4-inch-wide, extra-lightweight payload on #STS135? http://twitpic.com/4ttyar"

Chris Ferguson sent the following reply:

"@AstroN8 That's pretty good. Send it to me at: Code CB, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058"

So, the Commander of the final Space Shuttle mission wants to have MaxQ's STS-135 patch! Awesome! Next stop...ISS? ;)

(Note: The attached images ARE PHOTOSHOPPED by me!)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: 05/12/2011 09:03 pm »
Is this the official patch design of the STS 135. This one looks far better than the other space patches. i really like this one.

When is the official STS-135 mission patch going to go public? I mean available in the official shops?

How about the other logo-ed goodies? Polo shirts and other official mission items?

I am here for Endeavour's launch not sure yet if I can make it back for Discovery's launch. I am sure they will mail order but maybe not in the same variety.
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #17 on: 05/12/2011 10:09 pm »
The STS-135 patch is already on sale: http://www.thespacestore.com/stmipa17.html

The other merchandise will probably be available closer to launch.  And you'd be coming back to see Atlantis launch, not Discovery.  She's already into retirement.  :)

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #18 on: 06/13/2011 07:49 pm »
Hey everyone - We're close to having enough requests to commit to a second order of our STS-135 emblems (the blue IDIC design).  They sell for $10 per emblem, so if anyone is interested, please contact me via e-mail - [email protected].

Thanks!

- Nate

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #19 on: 06/14/2011 04:53 pm »
And you'd be coming back to see Atlantis launch, not Discovery.  She's already into retirement.  :)

It came from my subconscious. I just don't want to see Space Shuttle flights coming to an end.

:-(
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography