Author Topic: Blue Origin Manufacturing site in Florida  (Read 190497 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Blue Origin Manufacturing site in Florida
« Reply #20 on: 07/14/2016 08:20 pm »
Ewww.. they've building it with Haskell?  :-X 8)
mmm why the "dislike"?  edit:ok..did a search..I think i get it :)

I'm curious too, and a search wouldn't tell me why. The company is headquartered in Jacksonville where I grew up and now live. Their contract history as reported by our business journal has been quite impressive. The founder Preston Haskell has been a generous benefactor to many important causes locally, and it happens my brother's brother-in-law is their lead architect, a very intelligent and nice man whom I think you actually would like QuantumG.
Pretty sure it's a programmer's joke...

Haskell is a programming language that you either have never heard of, love, or hate. There are no other possibilities.

(It's functional, strongly typed, non strict semantically, but with lazy evaluation...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_(programming_language) for more )
« Last Edit: 07/14/2016 08:22 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #21 on: 07/14/2016 08:28 pm »
Ewww.. they've building it with Haskell?  :-X 8)
mmm why the "dislike"?  edit:ok..did a search..I think i get it :)

I'm curious too, and a search wouldn't tell me why. The company is headquartered in Jacksonville where I grew up and now live. Their contract history as reported by our business journal has been quite impressive. The founder Preston Haskell has been a generous benefactor to many important causes locally, and it happens my brother's brother-in-law is their lead architect, a very intelligent and nice man whom I think you actually would like QuantumG.
Pretty sure it's a programmer's joke...

Haskell is a programming language that you either have never heard of, love, or hate. There are no other possibilities.

(It's functional, strongly typed, non strict semantically, but with lazy evaluation...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_(programming_language) for more )
We have Cobalt Construction in the primary city that I live in. Im not sure that those two would work well together

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #22 on: 07/18/2016 04:03 pm »
It's a somewhat obscure programming joke, not a critique of the construction company of the same name who are actually involved here. Haskell is also the name of a rather particular programming language, and discussions of the type "Eww, you're using X language for Y application?" are a standby of programming forums.

Offline Nilof

• Liked: 597
  • Likes Given: 707
« Reply #23 on: 07/31/2016 09:44 pm »
It's a somewhat obscure programming joke, not a critique of the construction company of the same name who are actually involved here. Haskell is also the name of a rather particular programming language, and discussions of the type "Eww, you're using X language for Y application?" are a standby of programming forums.
If anyone is curious about how Haskell is "different", here's a side by side comparison of a simple fibonacci function.

Typical short Python implementation:
def fib(n):
 a,b = 1,1
 for i in range(n-1):
  a,b = b,a+b
 return a

Typical short Haskell implementation:
fibs = 0 : 1 : zipWith (+) fibs (tail fibs)
fib n = fibs !! n

The imperative python program just iterates on values up to the result with a for loop. The Haskell program on the other hand creates a recursive definition of an infinite list of all fibonacci numbers, and evaluates the n'th element of that list. Incidentally it is also much faster, though this isn't really a fair comparison.

In short, the idea space is completely different, in a strongly polarizing way that people will either love or hate.
« Last Edit: 11/14/2016 08:06 pm by Nilof »
For a variable Isp spacecraft running at constant power and constant acceleration, the mass ratio is linear in delta-v.   Δv = ve0(MR-1). Or equivalently: Δv = vef PMF. Also, this is energy-optimal for a fixed delta-v and mass ratio.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 07/31/2016 10:09 pm »
If anyone is curious about how Haskell is "different", here's a side by side comparison of a simple fibonacci function.

Typical short Python implementation:
def fib(n):
 a,b = 1,1
 for i in range(n-1):
  a,b = b,a+b
 return a

Typical short Haskell implementation:
fibs = 0 : 1 : zipWith (+) fibs (tail fibs)
fib n = fibs !! n

The imperative python program just iterates on values up to the result with a for loop. The Haskell program on the other hand creates a recursive definition of an infinite list of all fibonacci numbers, and evaluates the n'th element of that list. Incidentally it is also much faster, though this isn't really a fair comparison.

It does this by using a higher order function "zipWith" to map a familiar function "(+)" to one that you need: the function "zipWith (+)" which does element wise addition on lists. This way of constructing the functions you need by passing functions as input to other functions to mutate them is key to the Haskell way of doing things.

In short, the idea space is completely different, in a strongly polarizing way that people will either love or hate.
We are all going to all get so slammed for this important off-topic-ness when this thread takes off in a couple of years as its importance arises.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #25 on: 08/01/2016 02:57 am »
Obscure programming languages seem VERY closely related to Blue Origin manufacturing facilities in Florida.

Oh wait...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #26 on: 08/01/2016 03:02 pm »
Obscure programming languages seem VERY closely related to Blue Origin manufacturing facilities in Florida.

Oh wait...

Feel free to actually moderate the thread.

I try warnings first. If that doesn't work, moderation follows. By the way, I deleted your post since it's meta.. :)

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #27 on: 08/26/2016 03:59 pm »
Space Florida ‏@SpaceFlorida  3m3 minutes ago
This morning, crews began pouring concrete for @blueorigin  first building at its vehicle manufacturing campus

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #28 on: 08/29/2016 03:14 am »
The takeaway from this is the development of commercial space means that the days of reliance on government space are ending - commercial space is more sustainable and less subject to the whims of politicians.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #29 on: 08/29/2016 03:29 am »
The takeaway from this is the development of commercial space means that the days of reliance on government space are ending - commercial space is more sustainable and less subject to the whims of politicians.

Finally the engineers (Bezos) and physicists (Musk) are in charge again. It only took what, 90 years (since Goddard), but now the engineers and physicists are a lot wealthier. Thank you, Internet!
« Last Edit: 08/29/2016 03:40 am by Kabloona »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #30 on: 08/29/2016 11:12 am »
Ha! The engineers, physicists and other geeks have been in charge many times before. The difference with Bezos and Musk is that they can actually manage a company.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #31 on: 08/30/2016 03:33 am »
Ha! The engineers, physicists and other geeks have been in charge many times before. The difference with Bezos and Musk is that they can actually manage a company.

David W. Thompson (engineer) did pretty well starting Orbital from nothing with two other guys and building it into a big company, but unlike Musk and Bezos they didn't have their own billions to play with.

Even so, I'll readily agree most engineers, physicists and other geeks aren't good managers. We're fortunate to be around to see Musk and Bezos do their thing.

« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 03:36 am by Kabloona »

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #32 on: 08/30/2016 04:20 am »

David W. Thompson (engineer) did pretty well starting Orbital from nothing with two other guys and building it into a big company, but unlike Musk and Bezos they didn't have their own billions to play with.

Even so, I'll readily agree most engineers, physicists and other geeks aren't good managers. We're fortunate to be around to see Musk and Bezos do their thing.
They all have weaknesses.

Musk learned/learns the hard way. He's also physics trained. Bezos is in some ways too smart. They both tend to overreach. Both are surrounded by interesting people that buffer the excesses.

OA has a tremendous amount of pragmatism and as a business is very diversified. But not a push the envelope kind.

As to "good managers", depends on culture. No way you can compare them "apples to apples" - Musk wouldn't be tolerated in OA's culture, Thompson wouldn't even be functional at SX.

You also have to add in to the Musk advantage having been from Silicon Valley and understanding financials / business models / financial structures - you're used to "reprogramming" an industry to begin with. Most space entrepreneurs I've met are really bad in this area, and they think that making it look like a traditional aerospace firm that some home that is a good idea. They had no clue that they were dooming themselves by getting caught in the swampland this way - they thought it was "good enough" and they'd turn their attention to tech/engineering execution that they though mattered more.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #33 on: 08/30/2016 02:08 pm »
As to "good managers", depends on culture. No way you can compare them "apples to apples" - Musk wouldn't be tolerated in OA's culture, Thompson wouldn't even be functional at SX.

Funny how times change. Thirty-six years ago, Thompson and his band of "space nuts" (per the infamous Wall Street Journal article) were the "new space" kids on the block that many people expected to fail, not unlike the early days of SpaceX. The culture was much different from NASA/traditional aerospace, and at the time those guys and the engineers they hired would have fit right in at SpaceX. But because NASA was their customer on TOS, and to a lesser extent on Taurus and Pegasus, over time they had to adapt and become more traditional.

Now SpaceX is setting a new standard in design, manufacturing, systems engineering, vertical integration, etc. In less than thirty years, they'll be the new "traditional," and we'll be looking for the next Elon Musk.

Sorry for the digresssion; back to Blue Origin in Florida.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 02:09 pm by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #34 on: 08/30/2016 08:22 pm »
Finally the engineers (Bezos) and physicists (Musk) are in charge again.

All fascinating insights surrounding Blue Origin's origins, except I see Jeff Bezos as a really, really smart librarian, not an engineer, and in an interview with Elon Musk, he once described himself as "basically an engineer," not a physicist.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #35 on: 08/30/2016 09:27 pm »
All fascinating insights surrounding Blue Origin's origins, except I see Jeff Bezos as a really, really smart librarian, not an engineer...

It's funny, he was an EECS major while I was an MAE (mechanical and aerospace engineering) major in the same class, but I never ran into him around the Equad because EECS was in a different part of the building.

Anyway, good for all of us that he's putting his engineering degree to use instead of just selling books. ;-)
« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 09:28 pm by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #36 on: 08/30/2016 09:49 pm »
All fascinating insights surrounding Blue Origin's origins, except I see Jeff Bezos as a really, really smart librarian, not an engineer...

It's funny, he was an EECS major while I was an MAE (mechanical and aerospace engineering) major in the same class, but I never ran into him around the Equad because EECS was in a different part of the building.

Anyway, good for all of us that he's putting his engineering degree to use instead of just selling books. ;-)

No kidding, that's interesting! It's still easier to see that you're an engineer, however. I've sometimes wondered if men have been under family & social pressure to become engineers regardless of their true personalities, similar to the way women have been under family & social pressure for decades to become secretaries, school teachers, & nurses. 
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #37 on: 08/31/2016 01:19 am »
Finally the engineers (Bezos) and physicists (Musk) are in charge again.

All fascinating insights surrounding Blue Origin's origins, except I see Jeff Bezos as a really, really smart librarian, not an engineer, and in an interview with Elon Musk, he once described himself as "basically an engineer," not a physicist.
Musk is, in fact, a physicist by training. He does the work of an engineer, of course, but the training is different enough that you come at problems in a very different manner.

For instance, that annoying habit of his where he points out the limit of what he thinks is possible, not the "most achievable" middle. You have to establish limits. That's a physicist thing.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #38 on: 08/31/2016 03:41 am »
Musk is, in fact, a physicist by training.

From what I've heard of his college days, he's a beer drinker by training (aka an engineer.)
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: 08/31/2016 02:16 pm »
Stay on topic guys. The topic here is solely the Blue Origin Manufacturing site in Florida.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2016 01:51 am by russianhalo117 »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography