Author Topic: What to do as an non-american (European) graduate?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline tud

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello all,

I recently graduated a master in space engineering and am currently looking for a job. I would like to stay in the space industry and my main interest goes out to launcher and trajectory design and rocket propulsion.
I have already applied at Astrium and SSTL (Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd.) to no avail and am kind off ruling out working in the US due to ITAR.
But I was for example wondering which companies are busy with the design of the new european launchers in the FLPP (future launch vehicle preperatory programme). Astrium leads this program and I think MT Aerospace and ELV are involved but are there others that I don't know about?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

tud

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: What to do as an non-american (European) graduate?
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2013 09:23 pm »
Nationality and languages spoken would be good to know.

I'm sure that would help people advise you.

Offline tud

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2013 02:45 pm »
Belgian.
Fluent in Dutch and English
French is rusty: capable of conducting a conversation and comprehensive reading, writing french would come with a lot of errors.

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2013 03:01 pm »
It wouldn't be ITAR that you'd have an issue with for the US, but just immigration in general. So, if you really wanted to, you could find a US company that wants to hire you, and they'll typically handle the process. Immigration is quota-based, and I doubt Belgium ever hits its quota.

Also, I'd look at Canada. It's got a growing aerospace sector, and MDA's acquisition of Loral's Space Systems makes it a pretty big player. And immigration to Canada is much easier than the US.

I'm saying this as someone whose parents immigrated from Europe to Canada, was born there, and then we all moved down to the US when my father got a job offer.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2013 03:02 pm by simonbp »

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/2013 03:13 pm »
I don't think ITAR matters for a job here. It's more the H1-B visa sponsorship. You have to find someone to hire you and work with the State Department on that.

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #5 on: 01/08/2013 07:08 pm »
Quinetiq

S.A.B.C.A

Belgospace

Those are a few that might appeal produced by a quick google. Not sure how getting into ESA works. CSG would be fun if you could handle the heat  ;D

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography