Author Topic: Apollo 8  (Read 59921 times)

Offline Glom

• England
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Apollo 8
« Reply #40 on: 06/29/2015 11:41 am »
Very nice to get a bit immersed in such a great event.

The nitpicker in me can't help notice how they use perigee and apogee rather than pericythion and apocynthion. Sure the former are easier to say, which is important in radiotelephony but the latter sound cooler.

PAO sounded like he was at the end of his shift. The guy who does it now is much brighter in his speech.

Offline Marlena13

• Prague
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 06/30/2015 12:32 pm »
This is something I will never forget

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8782
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #42 on: 07/04/2015 10:18 pm »
Apollo 8 - Earthrise (Full Mission 23)

Published on Jul 4, 2015
Apollo 8 - Earthrise (Full Mission 23)

This video covers the fourth orbit and the 75-77 hour point of the flight.Just as AOS occurs the crew are set up for stereo photography and Borman turns the spacecraft 180 degrees - some moments later Bill Anders spots the Earth rising above the lunar horizon and so begins one of the most famous portions of the Apollo 8 flight. To beeter understand the sequences I have added the photos in at the time they were taken and oriented them the way Bill said he saw them when he took the pictures. After the event the orbit settles down with more photography, TEI updates etc. There is one 5 minute portion of the tape that is not on the tapes from NASA and this is noted in the video.

I have added in the photos taken at this time in the mission. There are 100s of photographs taken by Bill Anders on this video. They are shown in sequence taken.

Audio is presented in two channels at some points. Headphones are advised. Audio for the major part of this seqience is poor in quality despite attempts to clean it up.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO and other events.

NOTE -

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict events as they were happening in real time, although I do not claim attitudes/spacecraft orientation are correct.

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in laymans terms what is going on.

All Video, photos and audio is courtesy of NASA.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #43 on: 07/25/2015 09:19 pm »
Apollo 8 - Optics Tracking (Full Mission 24)

Published on Jul 25, 2015
Apollo 8 - Optics Tracking (Full Mission 24)

This video covers the fifth orbit and the 77-79 hour point of the flight. During this pass Jim Lovell has been using the 16mm camera to obtain sextant views of the lunar surface.

An excerpt from the Apollo 8 Flight Journal (http://history.nasa.gov/ap08fj/14day4...) explains this better than I can...

"As Apollo 8 moves around behind the Moon, Jim prepares for a series of tracking exercises. By the Flight Plan, this will require him sighting on a landmark on the far side known as Control Point 2 which is situated in the vicinity of crater Keeler. His subsequent comm after AOS shows that he also sights on Control Point 1, a keyhole-shaped pair of craters within Korolev. Using an adapter, he will attach the 16-mm movie camera to the sextant so that it can simultaneously film the sightings.]

[Part of the mission objectives for Apollo 8 is to demonstrate the ability of the spacecraft's optics and computer to determine the position of a landmark. Up to this time, much of the Moon's far side had been photographed by the Lunar Orbiter probes though the photography provided could not allow accurate determination of positions of surface features. Jim will use the computer to approximately aim the optics at the landmark. He will then aim them accurately and take marks. Using its knowledge of their orbit, the computer will calculate where it thinks the landmark really is with three parameters; latitude, longitude and altitude. Note that their computer is not programmed to deal directly with longitude. Instead it was programmed to work with longitude divided by two so that the limited range of its registers can deal with longitude to the required precision"

(Courtesy Apollo 8 Flight Journal)

Audio is presented in two channels at some points. Headphones are advised.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO and other events.

NOTE -

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict events as they were happening in real time, although I do not claim attitudes/spacecraft orientation are correct.

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in laymans terms what is going on.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline apollolanding

• Veteran
  • Member Since 2006-04-10
  • New Jersey
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #44 on: 07/25/2015 10:09 pm »
Just spectacular!  I can never get enough of Apollo 8.  Your productions are the next best thing to being there!  Actually better because you've given us visuals the public didn't see!  Thanks for your work!!!
Proud Member of NSF Since 2006-04-10.

Online catdlr

« Reply #45 on: 08/09/2015 06:34 pm »
Apollo 8 - Borman Snoozes (Full Mission 25)

Published on Aug 9, 2015
Apollo 8 - Borman Snoozes (Full Mission 25)

This video covers the 6th orbit and the 79-81 hour point of the flight. During this pass the crew make more observations about the proposed Apollo landing sites and Frank Borman takes "a snooze".

I have added in photos taken on the mission but do not claim they were taken at this point in the flight (the four earthrise photos were probably taken the orbit before).

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #46 on: 08/15/2015 09:08 pm »
Apollo 8 - Lovell is Snoring (Full Mission 26)

Published on Aug 15, 2015

Apollo 8 - Lovell is Snoring (Full Mission 26)

This video covers the 7th orbit and the 81-82 hour point of the flight. During this pass Borman informs MCC that the crew will rest of rhte upcoming orbits and ready themselves for TEI.

I have added in photos taken on the mission but do not claim they were taken at this point in the flight (the seven earthrise photos were probably taken the orbit before).

I have also added in some time lapse movies of the photography which make quite interesting viewing.

NOTE -

I sourced the Apollo 8 Flight Journal to assist with photo placement and audio editing. I would recommend the viewer using this as an aid whilst listening as it gives great descriptions of the technical details of the flight as it happened and explains, in layman's terms what is going on.

Offline deaville

• UK
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #47 on: 08/16/2015 07:35 am »
During the Christmas celebrations following TEI a parody of 'The Night Before Christmas' was read up to the crew by Harrison Schmitt. Here is the text of this poem.

T’was the night before Christmas, and way out in space
The Apollo 8 crew had just won the Moon race;
The headsets were hung by the consoles with care,
In hopes that Chris Kraft soon would be there;
Frank Borman was nestled all snug in his bed,
While visions of REFSMMATS danced in his head;
And Anders in his couch, and Jim Lovell in the bay,
Were racking their brains over a computer display....

When out of the DSKY there arose such a clatter,
Frank sprang from his bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the sextant he flew like a flash,
To make sure they weren’t going to crash.
The light on the breast of the moon’s jagged crust
Gave a lustre of green cheese to the grey lunar dust.
When what to his wondering eyes should appear
But a Burma Shave sign saying: ‘Kilroy was here!’

But Frank was no fool, he knew pretty quick
That they had been first... this must be a trick.
More rapid than rockets his curses they came,
He turned to his crewmen and called them a name;
“Now Lovell! Now Anders! Now don’t think I’d fall
For that old joke you’ve written up on the wall!’

They spoke not a word, but grinning like elves,
And laughed at their joke in spite of themselves.
Frank sprang to his couch, to the ship gave a thrust,
And away they all flew past the grey lunar dust.
But we heard them exclaim, ere they flew ’round the moon:
“Merry Christmas to Earth; We’ll be back there real soon!”
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak.

Online catdlr

« Reply #48 on: 08/20/2015 12:28 am »
Apollo 8 - A Beautiful Moon (Full Mission 27)

Published on Aug 19, 2015
Apollo 8 - A Beautiful Moon (Full Mission 27)

This video covers the 8th orbit and the 82-83 hour point of the flight. During this pass Borman takes the comm while his crewmates sleep. Discussions are held with reference to the upcoming TV pass on the next orbit and the TEI burn.

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #49 on: 08/22/2015 02:23 am »
Apollo 8 - Genesis (Full Mission 28)

Published on Aug 21, 2015
Apollo 8 - Genesis (Full Mission 28)

This video covers the 9th orbit and the 85-86 hour point of the flight. This pass contains the famous Christmas Eve "Genesis" TV broadcast . Initially the TV signal is lost but the crew continue to describe what they are seeing and what their thoughts have been whilst in lunar orbit. I have added in some of the live TV of the MOCR seen at this point from the network TV coverage. Obnce the signal is re-established, the crew continue their observations before the reading from Genesis takes place as the spacecraft reaches the terminator.

NOTE -

All video, photos and audio is courtesy of NASA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #50 on: 09/04/2015 01:11 am »
Apollo 8 - Go For TEI (Full Mission 29)

Published on Sep 3, 2015
Apollo 8 - Go For TEI (Full Mission 29)

This video covers the 87-89 hour point in the mission, specifically the 10th and final lunar orbit of the mission. The crew are given a go for TEI on the next backside pass.

NOTE -

« Last Edit: 12/19/2015 10:25 pm by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #51 on: 09/12/2015 10:48 pm »
Apollo 8 - TEI - "There Is A Santa Claus" (Full Mission 30)

Published on Sep 12, 2015
Apollo 8 - TEI - "There Is A Santa Claus" (Full Mission 30)

This video covers the 89-92 hour point in the mission, specifically the Trans Earth Injection (TEI) burn which sent the spacecraft and crew back to Earth from Lunar orbit. After re-establishing comm with Houston the crew take more photos of the receeding moon and establish PTC again. Deke Slayton contacts them soon after TEI to congratulate them on the flight and Jack Schmitt reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas" poenm to them. Borman and Lovell take a rest period and Anders watched the systems.

Note: The conversation at the start of this video is left as recorded because it is part of the historical record. I assume that Capcom was unaware he had keyed the mic switch.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO and other events. I have added in the photos possibly taken at the timeline in the flight.

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #52 on: 09/19/2015 01:26 am »
Apollo 8 - Bills Stocking (Full Mission 31)

Published on Sep 18, 2015
Apollo 8 - Bills Stocking (Full Mission 31)

This video covers the 92-96 hour point in the mission, specifically the post TEI hours and a press conference from JSC. Bill Anders stays up while his fellow astronauts sleep. There is a break in the communications until he realises his comm has been disconnected on the panel. A press conference tkes place. Milt Windler is exuberant about the flight. As the video ends Lovell and Borman wake up, the morning news is read up to the crew and as Anders goes to "bed" he is remided to put his Christmas stocking up.

The video is presented in 16:9 to allow use of photos and captions on the right of the screen. Captions are used to show PAO and other events. I have added in the photos possibly taken at the timeline in the flight.

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #53 on: 10/10/2015 03:17 am »
Apollo 8 - Issac Newton Is Driving (Full Mission 32)

Published on Oct 9, 2015
Apollo 8 - Issac Newton Is Driving (Full Mission 32)

This video covers the 97-102 hour point in the mission, specifically crew wake up and the morning news along with Christmas messages to the crew and P37 Updates. PTC is stopped and one of the SM quads overheats. After a while of monitoring the crew go back into PTC.

Sequence includes Bill Anders famous quote that " I think Isaac Newton is doing most of the driving right now"

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #54 on: 10/25/2015 07:41 am »
Apollo 8 - MCC5 & TV (Full Mission 33)

Published on Oct 24, 2015
Apollo 8 - MCC5 and TV (Full Mission 33)

This video covers the 102-105 hour point in the mission, specifically the crew performing P32s, and then a 14 second MCC5 burn of the RCS to put the spacecraft nearer to the re-entry trajectory. The crew then conduct a TV transmission.

I have added in the scenes at the MOCR taken just before the TV transmission. I have tried to synch the TV transmission to the video as best I can. Jim Lovells sequence is 99% lip synched. The actual broadcast of this event had a time delay.

NOTE -

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #55 on: 10/25/2015 09:42 am »
I love Apollo 8! I hold it very near Apollo 11 in stature.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online catdlr

« Reply #56 on: 11/03/2015 06:53 pm »
Apollo 8 - The W Matrix (Full Mission 34)

Published on Nov 3, 2015
Apollo 8 - The W Matrix (Full Mission 34)

This video covers the 105-111 hour point in the mission, specifically an issue with the CMC "W Matrix". This, I believe, is the infamous incident when Jim programmes the DSKY with the wrong programme and sets the computer to thinking it is on the launchpad. There is alos music in the form of Christmas Carols!
I have added a lot of the post TEI photographs Bill took (with the wrong colour film and colour filters!). This photography was probably taken a few hours before it is shown here.

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #57 on: 11/04/2015 02:23 pm »
Apollo 8 - The Re-Entry Checklist (Full Mission 35)

Published on Nov 4, 2015
Apollo 8 - The Re-Entry Checklist (Full Mission 35)

This video covers the 111-115 hour point in the mission, specifically the crew and MCC discussing the checklist for the re-entry.

I have added in the post TEI Earth/Moon photographs that were taken sometime around this sequence.

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #58 on: 11/04/2015 08:02 pm »
Apollo 8 - The Midnight DJ (Full Mission 36)

Published on Nov 4, 2015
Apollo 8 - The Midnight DJ (Full Mission 35)

This video covers the 111-115 hour point in the mission, specifically the discussions about taking phot and TV coverage using the filters and music is played to the crew. A change of shift press briefing is held at JSC.

I have added in the remaining 16mm film and some more post TEI Earth photographs that were taken sometime around this sequence.

NOTE -

Online catdlr

« Reply #59 on: 11/04/2015 08:06 pm »
Apollo 8 - The Morning News (Full Mission 37)

Published on Nov 4, 2015
Apollo 8 - The Morning News (Full Mission 37)

This video covers the 120-124 hour point in the mission, specifically spacecraft systems and the morning news is read up to the crew.

I have added in the remaining post TEI Earth photographs that were taken sometime around this sequence.

NOTE -

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography