Author Topic: Dream Chaser on the move? -> Nope  (Read 8729 times)

Offline John Cardinal

Dream Chaser on the move? -> Nope
« on: 06/03/2018 10:17 pm »
I am driving westbound across Missouri on I-44. I just spotted something headed in the opposite direction (eastbound) that looked suspiciously like a shrink-wrapped Dream Chaser. Do we know if there are any Dream Chaser test articles on the move? Location was I-44 eastbound, just east of Joplin, MO, time was 5:00 pm CDT.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2018 11:19 am by Jester »

Offline John Cardinal

Re: Dream Chaser on the move?
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2018 11:55 pm »
Sadly, I wasn’t able to get any pix (which puts this sighting on equal footing with the majority of Bigfoot sightings 😂 )

The object, whatever it was, was on the bed of a tractor trailer. The trailer appeared to be slightly over-sized, a bit wider than the norm. The item itself was covered in gray shrink wrap. It had been carefully applied, since I didn’t notice any flapping whatsoever.  The overall shape of the object was really very, very similar to Dream Chaser.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7111
  • Likes Given: 3061
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/2018 10:52 pm »
Here is what it looks like when it is wrapped:

It is eventually supposed to go back to Colorado but who knows? They may have changed their mind.

That test article, developed under earlier NASA commercial crew awards, will now be placed in “flyable storage” at the company’s Colorado facilities. Lindsey said the company will likely keep the test article in storage until the company is ready to resume development of a crewed version of Dream Chaser.

http://spacenews.com/sierra-nevada-weighing-options-for-launching-future-dream-chaser-missions/
« Last Edit: 06/04/2018 11:05 pm by yg1968 »

Offline John Cardinal

« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2018 02:55 am »
Hmmmm......

That’s definitely not what I saw.  What I saw was smaller, w/the wings attached.  It was also oriented the opposite direction on the truck — it was pointed forward.  Possibly a mock-up of the cargo Dream Chaser? 

Does anyone know if the X-38 test article is still around?  It was the right size & shape.

I wish I’d gotten some pictures! 🤯

Offline seruriermarshal

• Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: 06/05/2018 03:23 pm »
taken in Ponca City

Offline rpapo

« Reply #5 on: 06/05/2018 05:21 pm »
taken in Ponca City
That's a strange one.  Googling around gives me the impression that the Flying Sorcerers love Ponca City.  Lots of supposed UFO sightings there.  Which makes me wonder if this was Photoshopped.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline seruriermarshal

• Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 8

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #7 on: 06/24/2018 12:49 pm »
Hah, at first I thought "can't F-35s fly?" but the article cleared that up, it is a ground test article.

Offline Wolfram66

« Reply #8 on: 06/25/2018 04:16 pm »
Hah, at first I thought "can't F-35s fly?" but the article cleared that up, it is a ground test article.

Looks more like a composite layup form and /or autoclave. Note the "legs" on it. I tweaked the photo to give a better view of the shadowed areas.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2018 04:23 pm by Wolfram66 »

Offline rpapo

« Reply #9 on: 06/25/2018 04:20 pm »
Looks more like a MARS 2020 Aeroshell or similar reentry shell
Except it's way, way too big.  The reentry shell for any Mars lander has to fit inside a launch rocket fairing.  There is no fairing in existence right now big enough to hold what was on the back of that semi-truck.

Accept it, it's what they say it is.  Or a UFO.  Whatever it is, it isn't something we launch at this time.  Ignore Hollywood and Lost in Space.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Wolfram66

« Reply #10 on: 06/25/2018 04:26 pm »
Looks more like a MARS 2020 Aeroshell or similar reentry shell
Except it's way, way too big.  The reentry shell for any Mars lander has to fit inside a launch rocket fairing.  There is no fairing in existence right now big enough to hold what was on the back of that semi-truck.

Accept it, it's what they say it is.  Or a UFO.  Whatever it is, it isn't something we launch at this time.  Ignore Hollywood and Lost in Space.
Edited: probably a composite layup form for the aforementioned F-35 or other 5th Gen airframe

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #11 on: 06/25/2018 04:32 pm »
based on the info in the OPs posts, that wasnt it
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline Wolfram66

« Reply #12 on: 06/25/2018 07:35 pm »
I do not know where the above object was going to or coming from, but Northrup-Grumman  is working on the B-21 Raider LRSB prototypes. this has a similar nose on profile. But the appendages underneath tells me this is some kind of layup or autoclave for composites rather than an air/spacecraft.

Image from By David Cenciotti's The Aviationist
 https://theaviationist.com/2015/02/01/northrop-grumman-teases-lrsb/

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #13 on: 05/17/2021 03:18 am »
Hmmmm......

That’s definitely not what I saw.  What I saw was smaller, w/the wings attached.  It was also oriented the opposite direction on the truck — it was pointed forward.  Possibly a mock-up of the cargo Dream Chaser? 

Does anyone know if the X-38 test article is still around?  It was the right size & shape.

I wish I’d gotten some pictures! 🤯

Information on the current disposition of the X-38 vehicles is found at these links:
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/history/where_are_they_now/X-38_V-131.html
http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000301.html

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography