Author Topic: DLR STERN - STudent Experimental Rockets program  (Read 33781 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
Re: DLR STERN - STudent Experimental Rockets program
« Reply #20 on: 11/04/2016 02:39 am »
HyEnD: Hybrid Sounding Rocket HEROS Launch Campaign 2016 - Launch Teaser

rocketman0815

Published on Nov 3, 2016
Short teaser of our HEROS 2 hybrid sounding rocket flight from ESRANGE Space Center on October 31st, 2016.
The hybrid rocket engine delivers 10 kN of thrust with a paraffin-based fuel and Nitrous Oxide as the oxidizer.

The white box around the rocket is styrofoam for heat insulation of the rocket.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #21 on: 12/01/2016 05:23 am »
HyEnD: Hybrid Sounding Rocket HEROS 3 Record Flight Video

rocketman0815

Published on Nov 30, 2016
On Tuesday 8th November 2016, 10:30 LT, -18°C: our Hybrid sounding rocket HEROS 3 rocket was launched from ESRANGE, Kiruna. At almost perfect weather conditions and great visibility it reached an apogee of 32.3 km according to GPS and acceleration data and was successfully recovered with the drogue and main parachute being released. This sets a new record for European student and amateur rocketry. Furthermore, to our knowledge this is also a new altitude world rocket for hybrid rockets built by students. The maximum speed of HEROS 3 was 2600 km/h with a Mach number of 2.3.
The hybrid rocket engine delivers 10 kN of thrust with a paraffin-based fuel and Nitrous Oxide as the oxidizer.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #22 on: 10/26/2017 03:01 pm »
Bad news about STERN: HyEND Facebook

Offline catdlr

« Reply #23 on: 12/05/2017 06:55 pm »
HyEnD - CanSat Launcher First Lift-off

HyEnD - Hybrid Engine Development
Published on Dec 5, 2017

Our CanSat Launcher has been launched successfully on the 15th November of 2017, on a field near the DLR in Lampoldshausen. CanSat and parachutes were deployed flawlessly and the rocket landed softly. It is completely intact and can be launched again using a new motor. The footage was recorded with several ground cameras and a drone.

Weighing 3.2kg, the CSL reached an altitude of approximately 450m. It achieved a maximum velocity of 90m/s, thanks to its solid engine producing a thrust of 250N. During the 83s long flight, the electronics system collected a lot of data, like acceleration and atmospheric pressure. We are are going to evaluate the gathered data in the coming weeks. Simultaneously we will start the development of a new launcher, so stay tuned for future updates!

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #24 on: 12/06/2017 11:36 am »
Let's do a STERN update. I've checked the Esrange launch program The next launch opportunity is planned for 2020 (unfortunately).
This tweet was shared on the STERN Facebook yesterday. And this is a WARR Facebook post from today. So most likely WARR-EX3 will use one of the STERN2 launch opportunities.
Most likely ZARM (facebook & Website) will launch ZEPHYR2 during one of the launch opportunities.
I also found this Aquasonic II page from HS-Bremen.
And TU Braunschweig, TUBS(twitter)/ERIG LEONIS II
That's all I could find.

« Last Edit: 12/06/2017 12:04 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline umaurer

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: 05/24/2018 04:32 pm »
I just found this thread and wanted to give an update on WARR.

We tested our full-scale engine last December in Lampoldshausen. A video of the test can be found on our YouTube channel:

With the results of these tests, we are currently working on the flight-version of the engine and the rest of the WARREx3 rocket.

If there are any question, feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: 05/24/2018 04:33 pm by umaurer »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #26 on: 10/24/2020 05:40 pm »
So today a group selected for STERN II launched their rocket. (the first launch for STERN II)
Leonis II, initially planned to launch Faust II to 10km; a hybrid rocket, powered by the Hydra 4X, 2.4kN, 15s (35kNs), N2O HTPB, helium pressurized hybrid rocket motor.
They did three test firings of this motor, but decided not use it for STERN II.
Instead they launched Schwerdtlein, powered by a Cesaroni Pro98; 9870M1800-P. They reused the payload and recovery systems developed for Leonis II. In theory could reach 4,8km altitude.

Here a link to the launch announcement form SSC. https://www.sscspace.com/stern-leonis/
The launch took place Saturday 24 October 2020, 13:26:40 UTC.

The other STERN II launch planned for 2020, the Aquasonic II, form HS Bremen, was delayed until March 2021 because of Covid-19.
There is uncertainty for the other STERN II launches, because they are no longer in the most resent (13 oct) SSC launching program. Hopefully they are being rescheduled.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #27 on: 05/18/2021 08:59 am »
Compass Hybrid Rocket - Static Test Fire

Hybrid Engine Development - HyEnD e.V.
Posted:  May 18, 2021

HyEnD has successfully conducted the Static Hot Fire Test of the Compass Demonstrator Rocket. Engine, tank, fluid system and ground support equipment were tested together. The test has shown that remote tanking and launching of the rocket works safely and reliably - we are looking forward to the launch.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Last Edit: 07/01/2021 10:30 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #29 on: 08/23/2021 09:05 am »
Compass Hybrid Rocket Launch - Aftermovie

Offline catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 09/13/2021 08:46 am »
HyLIGHT-1 | First Test of 10 kN Hybrid Rocket Engine

HyEnD has successfully tested its HyLIGHT 10kN rocket engine for the first time! The test was conducted at the DLR Institute of Space Propulsion in Lampoldshausen.This marks a big milestone in our DLR STERN participation. In the next few months, we will subsequently increase the operation time and efficiency of the engine.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #31 on: 09/22/2021 10:11 pm »
STRATOS IV Launch Campaign trailer:

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #32 on: 09/23/2021 05:43 am »
Stratos IV is launching NET 15 October from El Arenosillo Test Center (CEDEA) located near Mazagón, Spain.

https://dare.tudelft.nl/stratos4/
« Last Edit: 09/23/2021 05:44 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #33 on: 09/06/2022 02:00 pm »
.....bump

N₂ORTH Hybrid Rocket | Propulsion System Test in Blow Down Operation

HyEnD is proud to announce that the N2ORTH propulsion system was successfully qualified in a hot fire test for a propellant throughput of more than 100 kg! This marks an important milestone for the project, as we now have a flight-worthy propulsion system for the launch. During the test, the rocket tank was operated in a blow-down set up together with the fluid system and engine of the rocket. The ground support system of the rocket was used in order to fill the rocket's tank with nitrous oxide and helium. The test included the main operation phase of the engine and also the gas blow down after the depletion of liquid oxidizer, resulting in an overall hot fire duration of more than 50s. In the upcoming weeks, the team will prepare another test with increased propellant mass in order to unlock the full potential of N2ORTH.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #34 on: 10/07/2022 11:03 am »
N₂ORTH Rocket | Aiming for new heights

We are happy to share a small teaser for the upcoming reveal and launch of our rocket N2ORTH! In the last three years, the team worked hard to make this rocket a reality. The rocket now is almost ready to launch, with only a few last tests and the assembly ongoing. The launch from Esrange is planned for the first half of 2023. As for the target altitude, we plan to break our own record for student-built hybrids (32.3 km) but N2ORTH is a lot more capable. The target altitude is still subject to change and will be chosen in accordance to our trajectory simulations, safety regulations at Esrange and weather conditions. Stay tuned for more details!

Offline catdlr

« Reply #35 on: 12/15/2022 08:00 am »
N₂ORTH Rocket | Final Propulsion System & Loading Procedure Test

Dec 14, 2022
HyEnD has successfully conducted its final system test on Thursday, 8th December! The test included the oxidizer loading procedure using the Ground Support Equipment as well as a hot fire with the hybrid engine and rocket’s fluid system components.
During the oxidizer loading procedure, temperatures and pressures were measured across multiple parts of the Ground Support Equipment and 160 L oxidizer tank. We are happy to report that the test showed a high level of precision during the loading procedure, as we were able to precisely set the amount of oxidizer as well as temperature and pressure conditions in the tank.
The hot fire of the propulsion system showed stable and efficient combustion throughout the operation time. With a peak thrust of more than 15 kN and a total impulse of 255 kNs at sea level, we are confident that the propulsion system is capable of pushing N2ORTH to the frontier of space. The in-flight impulse of this configuration will be even higher since effects like flow separation will occur later in the operation time due to lower ambient pressure at higher altitudes. Moreover, the test showed good accordance to the simulation carried out in advance. This is especially important to ensure a safe flight trajectory of the rocket.
As this was our final hot fire within the scope of the STERN 2 project, we would like to thank the DLR Institute of Space Propulsion for their fantastic support during the last years. Since September 2020, more than 60 hot fires were conducted, and we learned a lot! We are now fully focused on the final production and assembly steps and are looking forward to our launch campaign in April 2023.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #36 on: 01/31/2023 07:23 pm »
The HyEnD/ DLR STERN 2 launch campaign is planned to take place between April 11 to 25.
Website article HyEnD with more information.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2023 07:25 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
  • Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #37 on: 04/18/2023 09:10 am »
Cross-post:

Also from Esrange: the first of two N2ORTH rockets, part of the HyEnd project of the University of Stuttgart, just took off from Esrange at 09:05:00 UTC.

Info about the project: https://hyend.de/

Launch campaign updates: https://hyend.de/index.php/category/n2orth-launch-campaign/

SSC webcast (T-0 at 01:00:19):

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #38 on: 04/19/2023 07:29 am »
Some screen grabs of the launch.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online ccdengr

• Liked: 491
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #39 on: 04/19/2023 03:22 pm »
Thanks.  Have to say they don't spend a lot of effort on the webcast.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography