Author Topic: Ridley Scott''s The Martian  (Read 237621 times)

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
Re: Ridley Scott''s The Martian
« Reply #20 on: 05/26/2015 01:03 pm »
The third teaser features a space shuttle... This is rather worrisome for a movie set in the near future. The fictional Ares should be lunched on a SLS on steroids...

It is a fan-made mash-up. I doubt the film uses Shuttle imagery at all.

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #21 on: 05/26/2015 02:39 pm »
I think dust storms on Mars are not exactly movie material, realistic ones that is.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
« Reply #22 on: 05/26/2015 03:05 pm »
I think dust storms on Mars are not exactly movie material, realistic ones that is.

Weir admits to greatly exaggerating the dust storm for opening plot purposes
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
« Reply #23 on: 05/26/2015 03:08 pm »
External temperature is irrelevant. You can die of heatstroke in the Arctic. Your body produces heat that has to be removed or it will build up and kill you.

So then what does a Martian spacesuit have to be more concerned with to maintain a comfortable internal temperature for the wearer? Does it have to avoid heat loss more, or does it have to remove heat more?
(I'm assuming normal daytime conditions at some non-polar landing site.)

Read Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" for a great late '50s take on heat removal in a suit.

Really enjoyed reading "The Martian".  Learned that Irish persons would make good survivalists on Mars.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #24 on: 05/26/2015 03:16 pm »
All of the trailers posted thus far are fake. There was a real trailer showed at Wondercon, but it has not been widely released (nor has it been illegally captured and leaked). When there's a real trailer, you'll find it on 20th Century Fox official YouTube page and on movie news websites everywhere.

As for the space suit, I'm not really bothered. As far as I can remember the book does not go into detail about what the suit looks like, other than the fact that it has a helmet. The suit in the movie seems to be borrowing heavily from the so called MIT "Bio Suit". The important things to get right are the major plot points and the hardcore science, details such as what the rovers, habs, spacecraft and space suits look like aesthetically are not that important IMO.

I am excited to see The Martian because apparently the teaser trailer shown at Wondercon got a fabulous reception by attendants and Andy Weir himself.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #25 on: 05/26/2015 03:21 pm »
It's all about heat removal. Even in space, where the temperature in shadow is -270 C, your concern is to get rid of waste heat. The difficulty is keeping the wearer comfortable - too hot and they'll perspire, which wastes water, too cold and they'll burn calories to warm up, making the heat rejection problem even harder.

Mars isn't space, it has ground, it has a thin atmosphere and even wind. You mean that if you're walking on the surface and get hit by one of those mini dust-devils, your temperature is not going to drop from that? You mean if you're walking on the polar ice caps, you and the dry ice beneath your feet are going to be too warm?

Martian atmospheric pressure is 0.6% that of Earth's atmosphere. Heat loss due to convection and conduction will be insignificant. That will make heat management similar to vacuum conditions.

If your boots are not insulated enough to prevent the dry ice from flashing into vapor, you will have a hard time walking or even standing. Also, freezing your feet is not a good method of cooling your core temperature.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #26 on: 05/26/2015 03:33 pm »
This showed up in my Twitter feed, looks legit.

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
« Reply #27 on: 05/26/2015 03:37 pm »
<Fake Trailers>

None of them are the actual trailers - they're all fan made or spoofs. Trust me, I've been browsing for the real McCoy and there have not been any released on the internet at the time of posting.
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #28 on: 05/26/2015 03:43 pm »

Looks like there won't be any metaphysical mumbo jumbo in the movie. Also no mumbling Matthew or whiny Anne. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
« Reply #29 on: 05/26/2015 03:52 pm »
Yup, it's the real deal, one of the couple of pictures sent out to Empire Magazine, Entertainment Weekly and People Magazine. Teaser/trailer can't be far off now.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #30 on: 05/26/2015 04:18 pm »
Red the wikipedia page on the novel, looks like (a bit) Gravity, set on Mars.
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #31 on: 05/26/2015 04:32 pm »
The third teaser features a space shuttle... This is rather worrisome for a movie set in the near future. The fictional Ares should be lunched on a SLS on steroids...

Sounds more like dinner than lunch ... ;)

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
« Reply #32 on: 05/26/2015 04:33 pm »
That's not an entirely fair description of The Martian. It's more like Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Or Cast Away on Mars, but instead of Tom Hanks you have a sardonic botanist/astronaut.

Offline Billium

• Winnipeg Canada
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #33 on: 05/26/2015 05:21 pm »
That's not an entirely fair description of The Martian. It's more like Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Or Cast Away on Mars, but instead of Tom Hanks you have a sardonic botanist/astronaut.

Actually to me it is most like MacGyver on Mars, making air and water out of spare paperclips and chewing gum.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #34 on: 05/26/2015 05:33 pm »
I agree with Billium, Reading the book, that was my first reaction. MacGyver on Mars. MacGyver kinda ruined if for me. Each time trouble came up, I kept wondering what impossible stunt is he going to pull his bacon out with this time...

Keep thinking about the book every time I head to the garden to check on the spuds.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2015 05:46 pm by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline daveklingler

• Liked: 346
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #35 on: 05/26/2015 05:35 pm »
First look at the film adaption of the book. I really must get around to reading the book.

http://www.people.com/article/matt-damon-martian-ridley-scott-first-look

Read the book, was disappointed by plot holes and technical errors.  I'm currently working my way through this year's Hugo packet, and thinking of rereading Ringworld.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #36 on: 05/26/2015 05:51 pm »

Hmm. Can cracked mud like that even exist on mars today? Sure it certainly has been there at some points in the past, but in the time since, wouldn't those fragile shapes have been buried or destroyed?

Quote from: daveklingler
Read the book, was disappointed by plot holes and technical errors.  I'm currently working my way through this year's Hugo packet, and thinking of rereading Ringworld.

Wait, you're complaining about technical errors and plot holes in The Martian,  then are off to read Ringworld? :P ;)
« Last Edit: 05/26/2015 06:00 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline JamesG123

• USA
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #37 on: 05/26/2015 06:49 pm »
Hmm. Can cracked mud like that even exist on mars today? Sure it certainly has been there at some points in the past, but in the time since, wouldn't those fragile shapes have been buried or destroyed?

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2008/06/25_marssoil.shtml
« Last Edit: 05/26/2015 06:51 pm by JamesG123 »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #38 on: 05/26/2015 07:16 pm »
I increasingly find all the good stuff is in the trailer and the movie itself is a waste of my time.

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 2116
« Reply #39 on: 05/26/2015 08:51 pm »
I increasingly find all the good stuff is in the trailer and the movie itself is a waste of my time.

Prometheus sure did comfort me in that opinion...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography