Author Topic: Forum Theme Evolution. NET Sept. 27, 2019  (Read 61208 times)

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1026
  • Likes Given: 395
Re: Forum Theme Evolution. NET Sept. 27, 2019
« Reply #240 on: 11/27/2019 04:42 pm »
Layout request:
Is it possible to change the loading order so that pages with many,many pictures immediately reserve the space for the images, and only once page structure is solid do the download of the image contents?

The current method of making an unloaded image show as a one-line, which then POPs up to size only when its image is fetched, makes the image-heavy threads impossible to use before they are fully loaded.

And as this can take many seconds, even a minute or two on a slow connection, it makes navigation of image-heavy pages like the spacex construction update pages a bit of a pain.

I'd much rather have a stable screen with blank image blocks slowly being filled, than a page that jerks and scrolls each time an image is finally loaded.
« Last Edit: 11/27/2019 04:44 pm by Pete »

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2705
  • Likes Given: 2732
« Reply #241 on: 11/27/2019 05:05 pm »
Layout request:
Is it possible to change the loading order so that pages with many,many pictures immediately reserve the space for the images, and only once page structure is solid do the download of the image contents?

The current method of making an unloaded image show as a one-line, which then POPs up to size only when its image is fetched, makes the image-heavy threads impossible to use before they are fully loaded.

And as this can take many seconds, even a minute or two on a slow connection, it makes navigation of image-heavy pages like the spacex construction update pages a bit of a pain.

I'd much rather have a stable screen with blank image blocks slowly being filled, than a page that jerks and scrolls each time an image is finally loaded.

I haven't noticed that issue with images that are actually stored on NSF.

The issue I see is with embedded tweets, and there's nothing NSF can do about that because NSF doesn't know the size so it can't tell the browser.  So the browser can't reserve space because it doesn't know the size until the tweet is actually fetched from Twitter.  Any fix would have to be in the browser in the way that it loads embedded content with no size specified.
« Last Edit: 11/27/2019 05:05 pm by Ken the Bin »

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 4009
« Reply #242 on: 11/29/2019 04:49 pm »
Layout request:

I haven't noticed that issue with images that are actually stored on NSF.

The issue I see is with embedded tweets, and there's nothing NSF can do about that because NSF doesn't know the size so it can't tell the browser.  So the browser can't reserve space because it doesn't know the size until the tweet is actually fetched from Twitter.  Any fix would have to be in the browser in the way that it loads embedded content with no size specified.

I've seen it happening with images, again depending on connection speed and number of images.
For tweets, reserve a reasonable amount of space at first, then refine. There isn't too much variability in the vertical size of a twitter card.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2019 08:24 pm by dglow »

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3907
  • Likes Given: 750
« Reply #243 on: 12/01/2019 02:10 pm »
In dark theme mode the yellow background needs to be changed to a colour that is compatible with the the white text as it is illegible.
L2 example.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=49162.msg2020911#msg2020911

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11803
  • Likes Given: 11013
« Reply #244 on: 12/01/2019 02:22 pm »
For tweets, reserve a reasonable amount of space at first, then refine. There isn't too much variability in the vertical size of a twitter card.
That will still cause jitter unless buffer space is left empty.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline dglow

« Reply #245 on: 12/01/2019 07:26 pm »

What do you propose instead? Some refinement jitter seems preferable to the jumpy 'zero-to-everything' behavior we have now.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11803
  • Likes Given: 11013
« Reply #246 on: 12/02/2019 02:32 am »

What do you propose instead? Some refinement jitter seems preferable to the jumpy 'zero-to-everything' behavior we have now.
it sounds like it'd be an improvement to me, so if it's easy to do I am in favour..... I'm just pointing out that it won't always prevent all jitter.

Also I'm not one of the web boffins here.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Calhoun, LA
  • Liked: 1302
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #247 on: 12/11/2019 09:35 pm »
At Lar's asking in another thread :-)

I have noticed the font in the poll is smaller then then well basically, everything else which at least to me squishes the selection buttons close together.  I miss selected one and realized it after when it showed the wrong one bolded.  I even noticed some of the selection buttons touch and some don't.

Any reason the poll txt is smaller then everything else?  Just curious as there is no way to go back and change a vote that I know of.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4996
  • Likes Given: 45174
« Reply #248 on: 12/19/2019 11:53 pm »
Request some kind of countdown timer to show how many minutes remain in your logged-in session.

I don't want to change my account settings to a very long time, or to never log out.  I do appreciate being automatically logged out, if I do not remember to log out.

However, it's a real frustration when you're in the middle of something long and/or tedious.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2019 11:54 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3907
  • Likes Given: 750
« Reply #249 on: 12/28/2019 07:07 pm »
Mods if you go into edit multiple times the colour system is inconsistent in that it alternates between named colours, RGB, CMYK, and Hexadecimal value formats sometimes resulting in nonmatching shades do to nonequal values (example with 3 of 4 formats):
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26990.msg2026803#msg2026803

I have not experienced this before theme update.

Another issue when I work on the schedule I manage is when returning the line to move/add an entry via copy and paste the all returns around the copy and paste are deleted.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2019 07:11 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 555
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #250 on: 12/31/2019 12:50 pm »
One minor upgrade ... the embedded tweet thing is great, but it would be helpful if it understood and automatically removed the "?s=xx" suffixes, which catch a lot of people out

--- Tony

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2415
  • Likes Given: 11786
« Reply #251 on: 01/24/2020 11:17 am »
would it be possible to write answers in threads directly below the thread without reloading the page? I have all the text from previous posts available but any images are missing and if I type a responds that refers specifically to stuff that is in images a few posts above, I always have to open two tabs in the browser to do so. Cant we have all the functionality of the "post reply" loaded just at the bottom of the normal view of a thread?

Offline dglow

« Reply #252 on: 03/03/2020 10:42 pm »
One minor upgrade ... the embedded tweet thing is great, but it would be helpful if it understood and automatically removed the "?s=xx" suffixes, which catch a lot of people out

--- Tony

On the embedding mechanism, it should be self-escaping in certain circumstances... between paired brackets of the [url] tag, for instance. As it stands today one cannot create an inline hyperlink to twitter.com without blowing up their post.

Offline dglow

« Reply #253 on: 03/03/2020 10:47 pm »
Feature request: by default, please open PDFs in the browser itself.

Today they download by default. I'd much prefer to preview in the browser first, then decide whether or not to save/download the file.

Offline ehb

• Liked: 197
  • Likes Given: 491
« Reply #254 on: 03/17/2020 01:16 pm »
Layout request:

it sounds like it'd be an improvement to me, so if it's easy to do I am in favour..... I'm just pointing out that it won't always prevent all jitter.

Also I'm not one of the web boffins here.

How about a user option to reverse order the posts (most recent first)?
Often what I want to read is most recent.

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 504
  • Likes Given: 413
« Reply #255 on: 03/17/2020 06:05 pm »
As we're doing "how about"s...

How about a way to hide threads one 'never' wants to see again.

It becomes tricky because 'never' is a long time so a proper implementation would require a way to show hidden threads and un-hide selected ones (although I personalty could live without this refinement - gone forever would be just fine).

For bonus points make the feature available only to L2 subscribers.

For even more points make available to mods (in whatever form Chris finds most useful) a report of the number of people who've hidden each thread (and, perhaps, who they are). Threads with very high numbers being candidates for locking, removal, etc.

It's all about raising the signal to noise ratio which, it seems to me, is slowly but surely falling in some nooks of the site. YMMV.
« Last Edit: 03/17/2020 06:15 pm by Arb »

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2705
  • Likes Given: 2732
« Reply #256 on: 03/17/2020 06:34 pm »
As we're doing "how about"s...

How about a way to hide threads one 'never' wants to see again.

It becomes tricky because 'never' is a long time so a proper implementation would require a way to show hidden threads and un-hide selected ones (although I personalty could live without this refinement - gone forever would be just fine).

For bonus points make the feature available only to L2 subscribers.

For even more points make available to mods (in whatever form Chris finds most useful) a report of the number of people who've hidden each thread (and, perhaps, who they are). Threads with very high numbers being candidates for locking, removal, etc.

It's all about raising the signal to noise ratio which, it seems to me, is slowly but surely falling in some nooks of the site. YMMV.

I very much like the idea of being able to hide threads.

Not just because some of them have a low signal-to-noise ratio but also because many are on topics in which I personally have no interest.  Because of this, I'm not sure how useful a report of topics with a high hide count would be.  A topic might be of interest to very few people and have a high hide count, yet be very valuable to those people who are interested.

Even though I'm an L2 subscriber, I think the capability should be available to all users.

Having an option to view a list of hidden topics and unhide them would definitely be useful.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1448
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #257 on: 03/17/2020 07:23 pm »

[...]
How about a user option to reverse order the posts (most recent first)?
Often what I want to read is most recent.

This option is already available.

Go to Profile > Modify Profile >  Look and Layout

Then tick the "Show most recent posts at the top" box

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 20476
  • Likes Given: 10629
« Reply #258 on: 03/24/2020 09:59 pm »
Layout request:

Seconded.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Calhoun, LA
  • Liked: 1302
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #259 on: 03/24/2020 10:00 pm »
Layout request:

Seconded.
Third through infinity....need a bigger like button for this one. :-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography