Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 121026 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11524
  • Likes Given: 5157
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #320 on: 02/19/2021 02:46 pm »
One of my favourite forums is HISTORICAL SPACEFLIGHT, but with hundreds of topics and over 100 pages, it's next to impossible to navigate through all of the wonderful discussions. So I'd love to see it broken down to smaller, more navigable units, such as this.

If someone wanted to start out by making an Index thread with groupings of threads by topic that might be nice.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #321 on: 02/19/2021 02:48 pm »
One of my favourite forums is HISTORICAL SPACEFLIGHT, but with hundreds of topics and over 100 pages, it's next to impossible to navigate through all of the wonderful discussions. So I'd love to see it broken down to smaller, more navigable units, such as this.

If someone wanted to start out by making an Index thread with groupings of threads by topic that might be nice.

Sounds like a volunteer!
It works the same at my work. If you open your mouth with a good suggestion or complaint then they assign you work!
 :)
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 701
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #322 on: 02/19/2021 02:55 pm »
Thats the sort of thing a Tags system would be good for.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1500
  • Likes Given: 5489
« Reply #323 on: 02/23/2021 02:02 pm »
Dunno if this is the right thread.
Are unread topics reset on monday? Seems like i had more unread's yesterday

Some older unread topics will disappear from your current "unread topics" list, especially if you have seen them in the list previously but not looked at the marked topic at the time (I think a certain amount of time has to elapse before they are not shown though).

You can force the forum to show you all unread topics by modifying the url used for "unread topics" of the menu button:

It is normally https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0

Modify it to  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

and it will show all of them
Excellent.  I use NSF.com by going to the very end of my "Unread Topics" and begin reading posts in chronological order.  Prior to the "trick" you proposed, I would have lost all my Unread topics the moment I logged out. Visiting the site once a week usually has lots of unread topics for me to peruse.

To view all Unread Topics make teh addy "https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0"  instead of the usual
"https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0" which will reset after a logout possibly losing most of your Unread Topics
Thank you very much.

At least on the desktop version, there is a button at the bottom of the unread topics page for that.
"That's a good call, Gongora." (in John Shannon FD of STS-93 voice)

Right there on the bottom right hand corner of the "Unread Topics" titled "ALL UNREAD TOPICS" vs. the standard "RECENT UNREAD TOPICS".  Awesome!
Thank you very much.
Paul

Offline leovinus

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 693
  • Likes Given: 1341
« Reply #324 on: 03/05/2021 04:46 pm »
From the SN10 update/discussion thread:

Going to give an over arching PSA to everyone.

PLEASE please please be looking at what thread you are posting in. Itís annoying seeing discussion n a thread meant for updates, and a thread Iím sure countless people have notifications on for.

Continue discussing  :)

While I understand the annoyance of the UPDATE vs DISCUSSION mis-posts, may we just ask for a little patience and an attitude that is more welcoming for new members? I have first hand experience from a decade ago, when I joined, of experienced member annoyance, post deleting, shouting, "we have discussed this 4 times already", etc. No fun. I still get it at times, grin ;)

As a community, you have a choice - become a band of grumpy old man rehashing in an echo chamber, or evolve, grow, new ideas, and be welcoming.

And to the webmaster - a piece of code that checks the thread title on a post for "UPDATE" , and inserts a note "are you sure? There is a DISCUSSION thread" is not that hard. You could ask a question like "what are the three most helpful code pieces for new members/posters?". Just a thought.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3011
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #325 on: 03/05/2021 04:54 pm »
I use dark mode for absolutely everything that supports it.  This forum's dark mode is fine for the light text on dark background posts, but the quotes where it switches to dark text on slightly lighter backgrounds are really hard to read.

Here, the light text at the bottom is fine, the dark text on light gray is mediocre and the dark text on the dark background is terrible.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2651
  • Likes Given: 2695
« Reply #326 on: 03/05/2021 08:10 pm »
I use dark mode for absolutely everything that supports it.  This forum's dark mode is fine for the light text on dark background posts, but the quotes where it switches to dark text on slightly lighter backgrounds are really hard to read.

I also use dark mode.  What's really fun is Post Preview where links are gray on gray.

Offline rocketmaniac000

• Lewisville, Texas
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #327 on: 03/18/2021 11:03 pm »

Here, the light text at the bottom is fine, the dark text on light gray is mediocre and the dark text on the dark background is terrible.
I also use the dark mode frequently! And yes, while this mode works fine with the forum, it is true that the dark text on light grey make things difficult.

Offline dralice

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #328 on: 03/27/2021 03:20 am »

Where is the button to switch to dark mode on this forum?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2651
  • Likes Given: 2695
« Reply #329 on: 03/27/2021 03:29 am »

Thanks for the help.

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout

At the very bottom is "Dark forum theme *** THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS ***".

This used to be available to L2 members only (because of being a work in progress).  It still says it is a work in progress, so it may still be limited to L2 members.

Offline dralice

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #330 on: 03/27/2021 12:00 pm »

Thanks for the help.

This used to be available to L2 members only (because of being a work in progress).  It still says it is a work in progress, so it may still be limited to L2 members.

Thank you!  Looks like it is still L2 only.  That option isn't there for me. 

Thanks again for the reply.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 20395
  • Likes Given: 10572
« Reply #331 on: 04/22/2021 12:57 pm »
Responsive design is an anti-pattern: http://john.ankarstrom.se/responsive/
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline S.N.Green

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #332 on: 05/16/2021 11:05 pm »
Why are you by default sharing users' information without their consent? According to EU rules, there should be a clear option to decline tracking cookies. There isn't one on this forum. There's just a single one "okay, i agree" button for all cookies, without the option to disagree/decline.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/data-protection/online-privacy/index_en.htm

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1500
  • Likes Given: 5489
« Reply #333 on: 05/20/2021 05:00 pm »

Thanks for the help.

Thank you!  Looks like it is still L2 only.  That option isn't there for me. 

Thanks again for the reply.
Could be your single digit post count.  Post often!
Paul

Offline electricdawn

• Liked: 614
  • Likes Given: 1480
« Reply #334 on: 05/20/2021 05:05 pm »
Nope. Not there for me either.

Offline Ollopa11

• Dublin, Ireland
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #335 on: 08/04/2021 10:37 am »
Images should always be attached.

Hi Chris:  I wanted to attach an image to a post just now and all I got was ""!  I tried .jpg; .gif; .png, but nothing seems to work.  I'm trying again here as a test.  If nothing shows below, can you suggest what I'm doing wrong?  I haven't had a problem before, so I wonder is the image server down?

Offline Ollopa11

• Dublin, Ireland
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #336 on: 08/04/2021 10:39 am »
Ah!  Doesn't show up in preview!  Sorry!  :'(  But problem solved  :)

Offline leovinus

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 693
  • Likes Given: 1341
« Reply #337 on: 08/07/2021 07:50 pm »
Not strictly a forum improvement suggestions, but a "search" improvement for both forum and main website suggestions.

Based on the 20 years or so of site history and especially NSF articles, it struck me that you could add a timeline under the search field where you can move from ~2000 to today and you see articles written at that time. Like the Album flow in iTunes. Might be an easier way to find stuff for "what happened again in 2009 around May?".

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Calhoun, LA
  • Liked: 1298
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #338 on: 09/02/2021 11:21 pm »
Question.

What is the single digit number at the VERY bottom left of the page mean?

I noticed that every page on the forum has a single digit number there.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2021 11:24 pm by ulm_atms »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #339 on: 09/03/2021 01:53 am »
Question.

What is the single digit number at the VERY bottom left of the page mean?

I noticed that every page on the forum has a single digit number there.

I believe that's Google Analytics, which is what we use to find out page views and such (like how many online, where most people are looking - really handy). It's how they count the pages. Will confirm with Mark, but pretty sure that's what it is. Probably should be white so you don't see it :D
« Last Edit: 09/03/2021 01:55 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography