Author Topic: Upgraded NASASpaceFlight.com News Site Launch  (Read 82549 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Upgraded NASASpaceFlight.com New Site Launch
« Reply #80 on: 12/22/2017 01:01 am »
So we're looking at three points to work on so far:

1) Active Discussion placement on the right hand side.
2) Potential of a Dark Theme option.
3) Long articles with several pages (remember, it won't be all articles, just the really long ones) require more obvious page indicators.

Copy that!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #81 on: 12/22/2017 09:38 am »
Is it possible to have a tab on the home page that can switch to the "old classic view" for those that might have a "ghost in the machine" (like I have :o) but are too embarrassed to ask? :-[ I have no pride... ;D
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 09:45 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #82 on: 12/22/2017 09:46 am »
Do you use chrome? Open the new site in an Incognito window and see what happens.

Bah, clearing cookies, cache, reboot didn't work... May need an exorcist... :o

That screenshot is funny, as it has some content from the old site and the mobile theme from the new site. Something very wrong in your browser there. :)

PS. HOW many tabs do you have open! :o My PC grinds to a halt when I go over six tabs.
I lost count of how many on different windows... ;D I believe more open windows uses more resources than tabs. Perhaps a RAM upgrade would help? We can start a go fund me page for that on here, I'm sure many will chip in! :)

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #83 on: 12/22/2017 09:50 am »
Do you use chrome? Open the new site in an Incognito window and see what happens.

That screenshot is funny, as it has some content from the old site and the mobile theme from the new site. Something very wrong in your browser there. :)

PS. HOW many tabs do you have open! :o My PC grinds to a halt when I go over six tabs.
I lost count of how many on different windows... ;D I believe more open windows uses more resources than tabs. Perhaps a RAM upgrade would help? We can start a go fund me page for that on here, I'm sure many will chip in! :)
Yes, I have Chrome but I have been road-testing the new Firefox Quantum since it's release about a month or so back. Thanks for the incognito window idea, Ill give it a try... Cheers!

Brilliant Kevin, thank you, it works in "incognito"! 8) Is the new site "classified" or something? ??? ;D

Edit to add:
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 10:00 am by Rocket Science »

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
« Reply #84 on: 12/22/2017 09:57 am »
If that doesn't work then in chrome, right click and then Inspect, then click on Console in the debug window that shows up. - the info from the console can give Chris and the team (and the rest of us) info on what's not loading.

I suspect you are either loading different versions (cache problem) or something is failing to load properly.

Yes, I have Chrome but I have been road-testing the new Firefox Quantum since it's release about a month or so back. Thanks for the incognito window idea, Ill give it a try... Cheers!

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #85 on: 12/22/2017 10:27 am »
OK, I think I found a home page fix for the Firefox Quantum: Go to NSF homepage, type Ctrl+F5 and it will clear the cache for the issue of not loading correctly...
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1127301

Ctrl+F5=Exorcism... "Spirit be gone"!!... ;D
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 10:33 am by Rocket Science »

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
« Reply #86 on: 12/22/2017 10:46 am »
Chris (and the team).
there's something on your home page that causes my GPU on my laptop to running endlessly (and then the fans kick in and the heat builds up). Jumps to > 50% usage on page load and then settles down to around 18/20% continuous.

This is Chrome on Windows 10. I  will try on other browsers and see if it's the same.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #87 on: 12/22/2017 10:51 am »
Chris (and the team).
there's something on your home page that causes my GPU on my laptop to running endlessly (and then the fans kick in and the heat builds up). Jumps to > 50% usage on page load and then settles down to around 18/20% continuous.

This is Chrome on Windows 10. I  will try on other browsers and see if it's the same.

Do you also see this problem on article pages (any other as the homepage) ?

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
« Reply #88 on: 12/22/2017 10:56 am »
Just the home page - Forums and everything else are fine. It's related the image loading (and processing) and also you don't seem to be caching them - they re-fetch every time. Once the images have loaded, it settles down to 20% with the odd spike back to 50%+

Chris (and the team).

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #89 on: 12/22/2017 11:52 am »
Just the home page - Forums and everything else are fine. It's related the image loading (and processing) and also you don't seem to be caching them - they re-fetch every time. Once the images have loaded, it settles down to 20% with the odd spike back to 50%+

Chris (and the team).

Kevin, in Chrome site specific, try a "hard reload" or empty cache/hard reload: Good luck! :)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #90 on: 12/22/2017 12:27 pm »

Looks like the slider is misbehaving for some. Thanks for reporting, we will investigate (and fix) this!

Mark

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #91 on: 12/22/2017 12:45 pm »
I like the new site quite a lot.  Of course, I liked the old one as well.  Elegance of form is wonderful, but it is the great content that keeps me active.

I am not a "power user."  Mostly I lurk, with just a few posts per year.  But I visit the site several times a day.

Minor point:  I like the Calendar of upcoming events near the bottom of the Forums page; I think it would be worthy to move the Calendar to a "Coming Events" box on the main page.  I understand that real estate there is at a premium, but a very readily accessible display of launch dates and times would be great for the lower- to mid-level users such as I.

Thanks again for all you do.  I consider my Life L2 membership very much a bargain.

--Pete
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #92 on: 12/22/2017 01:05 pm »

Can you try this again ?  I made a quick fix/workaround which seems to drop the load a lot on my machine(s), can you confirm ?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
« Reply #93 on: 12/22/2017 01:10 pm »
That's better. Not perfect but a lot less. Low end is now 4% and top end is 16% (which is a lot better than 50%)

Can you try this again ?  I made a quick fix/workaround which seems to drop the load a lot on my machine(s), can you confirm ?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #94 on: 12/22/2017 01:15 pm »
That's better. Not perfect but a lot less. Low end is now 4% and top end is 16% (which is a lot better than 50%)

Thanks,
Mark

thanks for checking, this gives me good guidance to fix this.

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
« Reply #95 on: 12/22/2017 03:59 pm »
Very Very nice.

For myself, I could reasonably easily find everything i was looking for, and the *only* design element that was unfavorable is the "popular" bar right at the top.
As it is high contrast, *and* the automatic changeover to next item on list is a very rapid scroll, it forcibly snatches my eye's focus every time it changes.
Using a slower scroll, or using no scroll just a wipeover, or using a lower-contrast display, would alleviate this.

I **love** the level of detail/info available on the mouseover heading tabs (under International and Other). It shows when article was created, region applicable, and a thumbnail with just the right size to see what it is about without clutter.

Even the placement and identification of advertisements is quite acceptable.

Is there a possibility for a "dark" theme, as some people (not myself) prefer to view in a dark room, and then the large amount of brilliant white background would be painful.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #96 on: 12/22/2017 04:08 pm »
Thanks for the kinds words!  :D As said before, the possibilities for a dark theme are currently being investigated and this will probably have first results in the coming weeks.

Mark

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #97 on: 12/22/2017 06:10 pm »
As an early Christmas present, a small peek on the on the dark-mode development. Please let me know if this is what you are looking for..

Homepage

Article
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 06:16 pm by NSF Webmaster »

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #98 on: 12/22/2017 06:31 pm »
Oh no! Not change!

Looks great guys. Fantastic job. Do we get some new merch to buy? Can we still buy the old merch?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #99 on: 12/22/2017 06:40 pm »

Looks great guys. Fantastic job. Do we get some new merch to buy? Can we still buy the old merch?

Online store is on my to do list on working out the best way forward :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography