Author Topic: STS-133 Shuttle Discovery's Final Launch: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 646287 times)

Offline orbitjunkie

• Maryland
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
I was a little too impatient with my question, I must have jinxed it. Got the rejection email this evening :-(

Given some other personal events this fall, I don't think I'll be trying to go anyway. The Feb launch is also simply not possible for me so I guess I'll have to hope/wait for STS-135 next summer. It seems reasonably certain that will happen, though I'm sure it will be an absolute madhouse...

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
I got the email last night also saying I am not eligible to buy tickets. Oh well. There might be some other options.

Speaking of Discovery, my favorite orbiter, today is one year since the launch of STS-128, which I was at KSC to view. What a stunning sight. An unforgettable memory.

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
  • Liked: 0
I also got a you were not selected e-mail.  Had very little chance of going on the scheduled date.  Like others, I probably need STS-135 next summer to be able to go.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988
Got my rejection email today as well.  I've never been to a shuttle launch, so if a generous NSFer is offering opportunities to tag along, I might take advantage of that. :)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Remember all, they said there may be tickets available to Gator & Dolphin tours after these ticket sales are complete, so don't give up hope!

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
This was the launch that was going to be the hardest to make, so of course we got selected.  Going to make the most of it though and take 4 newbies with us. 

Offline spacedog71

• Likes Given: 3
i wasn't selected either. add me to the list of people looking for a spare ticket.  ::)

i point this out every launch or so: the day before the launch (and two hours or so after the event, whether it's a launch or a scrub) KSCVC has just a regular parking lot.

on both STS-119 and STS-128 i was on a gator bus during a scrub, and i managed to pick up an extra parking pass at KSCVC with the intention of driving back myself during the reschedule.

it's possible the KSCVC box office may not have spare parking passes available to be handed out during business hours on october 31st -- but that's where i'll be looking, assuming i can track down a spare ticket. ;)

Offline bidptl

• STS133 pictures
the first post appeared on eBay. 6 CW tickets for $5000 !
its quite annoying that some actually take their luck as a money making opportunity ...

Offline Swee

..shot in the dark, but anyone not using two of their prize-winning tickets, I'd love to buy them from you.....yep, I'm begging and pleading....seems that's what it's come down to for the die-hards....  :(

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
the first post appeared on eBay. 6 CW tickets for $5000 !
its quite annoying that some actually take their luck as a money making opportunity ...

As far as I know, nobody has actually purchased them yet...so I don't know how they can legitimately sell them...
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline smith5se

For those interested, tweetup selection emails have gone out; congrats to those who were selected :)

Look forward to meeting you all at STS-133.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline wjbarnett

Congrats Sara!  No email here yet :(  :'( :(
Jack

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
Just got my Tweetup email, no joy.  :'(
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline wjbarnett

Just got my Tweetup email, no joy.  :'(
Same here  :'(
Jack

Offline LoveMrEd

• Oklahoma
Add more more to the rejected email list.

I'm warming up to the idea of viewing from the beach at the hotel and avoiding the time in traffic.

Offline Haakon

• Melbourne, Australia
Hopefully later tonight (Australian time ;) ) I'll be the proud owner of some tickets!

Whats the latest on spare tickets - am I able to pass them along to others?

And what hassles are expected when sales open at 9am your time? Server crashes, Causeway selling out in 30seconds etc?

I am flying from Australia for this (and to see some friends in NYC and Nth Carolina) - very excited!!

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
They -should- have enough tickets for each selected to buy up to 6 tickets, so they shouldn't sell out to you, if you got selected.  That's if they are doing it how I think.

Speaking out loud, if NASA did it this way (ideally, that is): 100 people get selected for tickets, and can buy up to 6 tickets a piece - 600 spots.  Not everyone will buy 6 tickets, so they shouldn't sell out.  Then they'll sell the rest somehow, whether they open the tickets to other people or sell them at the VC.

Last time they sold tickets, there was nothing but server crashes and the causeway selling out in 30 seconds.  We'll see how well this works, though.  Good luck!

Offline Frostywinter

So if we registered for tickets for STS133, should everyone have received an email either way (Yes or No) by now?
I registered as needed but had no emails back...??

Tks  Frosty

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
I'm guessing yes (didn't sign up to get tickets), but it sounds like everyone has gotten their confirmation or denial.  Check your spam folders to see if an email got passed through to there, rather than your inbox.

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
Hopefully later tonight (Australian time ;) ) I'll be the proud owner of some tickets!

Whats the latest on spare tickets - am I able to pass them along to others?

And what hassles are expected when sales open at 9am your time? Server crashes, Causeway selling out in 30seconds etc?

I am flying from Australia for this (and to see some friends in NYC and Nth Carolina) - very excited!!

These will be tickets that you can do anything you want with.  They will not have your name or anything on them (can you imagine that nightmare on launch day if they were checking that your ticket matched your ID?)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography