Author Topic: NASA TV - how do you watch it?  (Read 19602 times)

Offline Bruce

• Spaceflight Spectator
  • I'll never see this view. Glad that others have :)
  • Kent, UK
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
NASA TV - how do you watch it?
« on: 08/23/2007 05:05 pm »
I'm interested to know how everyone watches NASA TV. Having done a search, I can't find anything specific on the subject, so I thought a poll would be useful.

Obviously there will be quite a difference if you are "in the industry" or not, and/or in the US or not. Personally, I'm interested to see how non-US people watch shuttle launch/landings, ISS live feeds, etc, but perhaps a poll might be useful to others too. So hopefully I've included enough viewing options.

Feel free to move, edit, delete, etc, if it's inappropriate for NSF
Here's something useful in a signature: This the last post in a thread? Goto Unread Topics

Offline azman818

Re: NASA TV - how do you watch it?
« Reply #1 on: 08/24/2007 02:39 am »
How do I watch it?  I don't, because Cox Cable in Phoenix TOOK IT OFF THEIR LINEUP!!!!!

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #2 on: 08/24/2007 02:43 am »
I have it on cable TV for about 12 hours a day (they put it on a Gov't Access channel), so if it's on there, I watch it there.  If it's a shuttle mission, I watch the 1200k stream, if it's between mission time, I watch 300k.  It'd be nice if we could get a bit higher of a bitrate (say 500k or 700k) for the time between missions.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #3 on: 08/24/2007 02:48 am »
azman818 - 23/8/2007  7:39 PM

How do I watch it?  I don't, because Cox Cable in Phoenix TOOK IT OFF THEIR LINEUP!!!!!

Tell, me about it! They actually still list it on the "channel lineup" card they gave we last week...

Simon ;)

Offline Moon King

« Reply #4 on: 08/24/2007 03:10 am »
On my laptop computer or on my TV. If there's a lift off then i start the show 1 hour before launch, on landings about 2 hours before landing, as they are getting ready to deorbit the shuttle.
NASA- Returning to the moon (when politicians quit slashing our budget)

Offline Fabio Zarantonello

• Italy
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 08/24/2007 07:03 am »
From Italy I watch it through Space-Multimedia WMP stream. I think it's about 500 kb/s. Very good with full screen zoom.

Fabio

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: 08/24/2007 07:13 am »
DishNetwork, which has it 24/7.  Launches & special events get recorded to DVD-RAM (Panasonic recorder), compiled to 8g DVD+R DL's and archived.
DM

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: 08/24/2007 08:18 am »
1er - 24/8/2007  7:37 AM

mms://whoodavideo1.whooda.com/whooda/?a=2406896&b=2000&d=8946475&e=7233689&f=679798

i search in web and i find 2 Mb....but the server is quick saturate.
cut video after play 1 minut...or more...
the video is 720 x 540 !! very good...but the mission sts-118 is finish....damnit........

2Meg? Awesome, must give that a go.

Should be noted, bruce, that that 1.2meg stream occasionally drops down to 500kb/s when there isn't a Shuttle mission on. Still looks decent though :)

Edit: Wow, that stream is so great. I wonder how many slots they have. It'll certainly max out the cap on my Virgin Media connection, though :(

Offline Bruce

• Spaceflight Spectator
  • Kent, UK
« Reply #8 on: 08/24/2007 08:57 am »
I'd be happy with just 300Kb. The 150 is utter rubbish. You lose all detail from such high compression.

Yahoo have "done a deal" with NASA, but they really don;t provide much of a service outside the US is seems. Anyone know when this deal finishes? Would be nice to try to get something better.
Here's something useful in a signature: This the last post in a thread? Goto Unread Topics

Offline Bruce

• Spaceflight Spectator
  • Kent, UK
« Reply #9 on: 08/24/2007 08:59 am »
Fabio Zarantonello - 24/8/2007  8:03 AM

From Italy I watch it through Space-Multimedia WMP stream.
Fabio

Is there a public URL for that stream?

Found it! And it's great

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/stream/nasa.php

It's using the 300Kb  stream from Yahoo (400 x 300

Offline stargazer777

• Extreme Veteran
RE: NASA TV - how do you watch it?
« Reply #10 on: 08/24/2007 10:31 am »
I watch it during missions on the net -- I have high a speed cable connection but I am not certain of the speed.  As much as I hate to offer a word in defense of the cable/satellite systems that don't offer NASA TV, I have to admit that it is a very poorly done channel and you would have to be a really dedicated space fanatic -- like us -- to put up with it.  The channel could never survive in its current form with the general public -- and that is why the systems drop it.  Perhaps NASA should simply limit themselves to web casts and use what money they save to try to boost their quality.  They pretty much have no where to go but up from where they are today.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 08/24/2007 11:10 am »
Web - at 300kbs :(
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Fabio Zarantonello

• Italy
« Reply #12 on: 08/24/2007 12:52 pm »
Bruce - 24/8/2007  10:59 AM

Fabio Zarantonello - 24/8/2007  8:03 AM

From Italy I watch it through Space-Multimedia WMP stream.
Fabio

Is there a public URL for that stream?

Found it! And it's great

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/stream/nasa.php

It's using the 300Kb  stream from Yahoo (400 x 300

Good!
But during STS-118 landing I'm quite sure I read 500 kbps, maybe they use higher speed only during major events.

Bye, Fabio

Offline E_ E_ H

• Fascinated
  • Southampton, UK
« Reply #13 on: 08/24/2007 01:03 pm »
Web at 2Mb per second. Unfortunately, it's not transmitted at HD standard, or even LD, from the picture quality. I can only imagine this is for bandwidth / server size reasons. Wish it was...
Ground control to Major Chris....

Offline E_ E_ H

• Fascinated
  • Southampton, UK
« Reply #14 on: 08/24/2007 01:17 pm »
stargazer777 - 24/8/2007  10:31 AM

I watch it during missions on the net -- I have high a speed cable connection but I am not certain of the speed.  As much as I hate to offer a word in defense of the cable/satellite systems that don't offer NASA TV, I have to admit that it is a very poorly done channel and you would have to be a really dedicated space fanatic -- like us -- to put up with it.  The channel could never survive in its current form with the general public -- and that is why the systems drop it.  Perhaps NASA should simply limit themselves to web casts and use what money they save to try to boost their quality.  They pretty much have no where to go but up from where they are today.

I agree with Stargazer. The content is really only for hardcore types, with very little in the way of flashy space stuff for the masses, who are likely to be drawn more to the Shuttle launches than to techie stuff that gets us lot going! I may be wrong about that, but there is a lot of very technical stuff on. I just tuned in (web 2Mb... Sorry Chris!) and they were on about LRO, with a silent, rather drab graphical display and nothing to please an audience. The length of time is also working against them. 2014 for Orion, 2020 (ish) for moon landings. Even LRO is not until next year. I suppose that the Ares I-1 launch might spark the interest, but a 1 hour launch show with a 40 second money shot in a 4 year period ain't gonna get the ratings going, let's face it! Save the TV money and get a good webcast deal sorted, IMHO...  :)
Ground control to Major Chris....

Offline Bruce

• Spaceflight Spectator
  • Kent, UK
« Reply #15 on: 08/24/2007 01:18 pm »
"Who cares "how" they watch it"

An interesting view.

At 150Kb/s, I *do* care :)

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: 08/24/2007 02:08 pm »
Flashy space stuff?  How old are you...14?

Offline SpaceNutz SA

• Veteran
  • Durban - South Africa
« Reply #17 on: 08/24/2007 02:23 pm »
As an idea - this was the useage during the STS-118 entry and landing from ym side - only NASA TV and NSF.com were active.
"Lets not make things worse by guessing" - Gene Kranz - Apollo 13 Flight Director

Offline Bruce

• Spaceflight Spectator
  • Kent, UK
« Reply #18 on: 08/24/2007 03:05 pm »
Yes, that's what we want. Very nice.

With all the contacts in NASA, can NSF find out what NASA are planning/talking about with regards to high bandwidth streaming and/or HDTV? If NASA are interested, and can provide the original content, I might be able to setup a streaming service for it.

To start with, I think we need to find out what the deal with Yahoo is. I seem to remember it was an exclusive arrangement, but I don't know how long the deal was for. So apart from some testing, it's not likely to happen with Yahoo being involved. With the current outside-of-US experience, they don't seem too excited. If any NSF members can provide any info, please can you do so.

Maybe L2 members could "trial" a new service for NASA ;)

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #19 on: 08/24/2007 03:55 pm »
1er - 24/8/2007  2:37 AM

mms://whoodavideo1.whooda.com/whooda/?a=2406896&b=2000&d=8946475&e=7233689&f=679798

i search in web and i find 2 Mb....but the server is quick saturate.
cut video after play 1 minut...or more...
the video is 720 x 540 !! very good...but the mission sts-118 is finish....damnit........

Wow!  Excellent link!

I noticed the stream lags behind by a minute or so, but I don't see where it "cuts video" or anything.  I'm using VLC.

As for the Yahoo stream, it's 1.2 M for shuttle missions and 300k inbetween.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography