Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - ORBCOMM-2 - SLC-40 - Dec 21, 2015 - UPDATES  (Read 453140 times)

Offline mr_magoo

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 21
Congratulations to everyone at SpaceX.    You earned your Merry Christmas this year.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Should we create a post-flight updates thread ?

Why not stick with this one? Historically, post-flight news has gone on to the last updates thread for the mission unless it's something with its own unique and only semi-connected discussion (like a failure investigation).
« Last Edit: 12/22/2015 03:03 pm by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
https://twitter.com/Marc944Marc/status/679280298455101440

Marc Eisenberg ‏@Marc944Marc 3h3 hours ago

All 11 satellites were placed out of flight mode and into normal Operating mode (to GES).  Thanks for all the well wishes.

https://twitter.com/Marc944Marc/status/679280298455101440

Marc Eisenberg ‏@Marc944Marc 3h3 hours ago

We'll work for the next couple of months to bring them into commercial service.  Have a happy holiday all.

I don't know about you, but I'm certainly going to have a happier holiday now :)

Offline mongo

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Congrats to Space X.................if the first stage had a camera during boost for launch coverage, is there video of the ENTIRE sequence of turn around, boost back, entry and landing?  That would be spectacular to see.

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Another image taken a short while ago:
« Last Edit: 12/22/2015 03:10 pm by ugordan »

Online mtakala24

Congrats to Space X.................if the first stage had a camera during boost for launch coverage, is there video of the ENTIRE sequence of turn around, boost back, entry and landing?  That would be spectacular to see.

Seeing the stage covered in soot, I strongly suspect that the lens would have been covered with it at the beginning of the boost back burn.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768

you can see that its been moved and lifted on to the deservicing structure so the legs can be retracted/removed along with tank offloading and such.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2015 03:15 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline mongo

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0

Seeing the stage covered in soot, I strongly suspect that the lens would have been covered with it at the beginning of the boost back burn.

What makes the middle of the booster clean, and the other 2 parts dirty?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

given L2 info do you think they'll clean this stage before proceeding into next years testing??

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

What makes the middle of the booster clean, and the other 2 parts dirty?
the LOX frost layers

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
There are lots of soot questions on the other threads.  My best theory right now: at launch the top of the rocket is full of LOX and covered in ice.  The bottom half gets sooted up during launch, but the top stays clean (soot goes on the ice, which then falls off), with a sharp dividing line where the LOX tank starts.

At S2 ignition (after all the ice and most of the LOX is gone) the top of S1 gets sooted up.  The top soot doesn't have a sharp division, it just fades out.  You can see streaks where protuberances shadow the soot, making it clear the source of the soot is from above.

Boostback, reentry, and landing burns apparently do not contribute significantly to the soot.

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
Haven't seen this posted, and this is great news as well.  There was a third Objective

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/679218508224401408

Peter B. de Selding
SpaceX confirms successful Falcon 9 Upgrade 2d stage reignition after Orbcomm sats released - key for GTO telecom missions, where $$ lie.

Edit: 
And now a full article on this Third Obejective @SpaceNews.
http://spacenews.com/falcon-9s-second-stage-restart-was-just-as-important-as-sticking-the-landing/
« Last Edit: 12/22/2015 04:06 pm by TrueBlueWitt »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Wow! I missed this one as I was enroute from Detroit to Shanghai, but this is so super awesome. Congrats to all at SpaceX and to OrbComm for having the vision and grit to stick with SpaceX, and to all the other parties that helped.

Truly the dawn of a new era.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 263
It's Great ...

I've Lost count how many times I have watched the T-0 to the landing 7, deployment.

Isn't it just Great that we as Space fans, have SpaceX  to fill our emptiness lately. As you can tell by my Avatar,               Go SpaceX Nice Job !
You Only Live Twice

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
So, are the tanks we can see in the foreground (particularly the ones on the left, which are helium tanks IIRC) for storing leftover propellant and helium?

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
Does anyone have a launch video with radio voice but without the talking heads? They did a good job of covering the launch for the general public but I would prefer the traditional footage, pure rocket..

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
Does anyone have a launch video with radio voice but without the talking heads? They did a good job of covering the launch for the general public but I would prefer the traditional footage, pure rocket..

I liked seeing Tim Urban there, in a train wreck sort of way.  His articles on WaitButWhy are so technically detailed and deep, but on the live broadcast he was reduced to excited jibberish.

As was I.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
Guys, this is an UPDATE thread. Everybody gets one free congratulatory post, discussions have a specific thread for that.

Moderators, please remove this post freely.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline dawei

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 235
I'm late to the party but can't stop myself from saying ... AWESOME JOB to SpaceX.  Big congrats to all who worked on this for so many years.  And a special thanks to nasaspaceflight for your superb coverage as usual.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
SpaceX added more landing pictures to their Flickr page, from cameras pre-positioned at the landing site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacexphotos
« Last Edit: 12/22/2015 05:20 pm by Lars-J »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography