Author Topic: KSC All Hands: Spaceport must continue to adapt to NASA changes  (Read 22275 times)

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
I “suspect” a “standing army” is needed for the CT, ok if you want a jobs program?
Not really. Only takes a crew of 30 for a rollout.

*Three drivers (one prime and one back-up in the forward cab and one in the rear cab).
*One JEL system operator
*One Engineer Control Room operator
*Two electricians
*Two electronic techs
*Four diesel mechanics for starting, monitoring and shutting down the gen-sets
*The remaining 17 are mechanics acting as ground observers and assist in docking the MLP to the mounts.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
I suppose whatever method is used to get the LV to the pad, there is some maintenance crew required. Either the CT needs maintenance, or the KAMAG / train diesels need maintenance. The current crawler way needs maintenance, or the railway or concrete needs maintenance.

It's all a trade on which maintenance level is higher.

If we are going to continue with the CTs, then this is probably a good time to perform a significant overhaul.

Offline MP99

In recent times, Athena and Minotaur 4 have flown from the same site (Kodiak), and Minotaur and Minotaur 4 from SLC 8 at Vandenberg, but in each case I believe that the sites were reconfigured for Minotaur 4/5.

Isn't the new pad that Antares will fly from at Wallops also LV agnostic?

cheers, Martin

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437

If we are going to continue with the CTs, then this is probably a good time to perform a significant overhaul.

I think they are either going through a significant overhaul/upgrade, or will be prior to SLS.  Is that correct?

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50

I think they are either going through a significant overhaul/upgrade, or will be prior to SLS.  Is that correct?

NASA put out a factsheet in April this year which includes brief details of the upgrades:
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/639966main_20120425_Crawler%20Transporters.pdf

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography