Author Topic: SLS trades lean towards opening with four RS-25s on the core stage  (Read 143055 times)

Offline 93143

• Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 1
We're going to have to get one of these things anyway because a second stage with a bunch of J-2Xs on it is too heavy to have optimal TLI performance

Have you seen the mass fraction for CPS?  Also, the US can go down to one J-2X.

Depending on the mission, that could still end up being too much thrust...

I don't really like the SLS-US either.  It's a battleship stage.  I guess my main problem is that I got enamoured of the ACES/WBC technology proposed for the JUS, and the relatively primitive conservative CPS and US concepts are comparing poorly.

and we most definitely need CPS for Mars

Why?  Weren't you a huge fan of SEP a while back?  (I like advanced nuclear myself.)  Mars is 20 years in the future; we could be using Polywells by then.  Cryo storage?  Definitely.  CPS specifically?  I don't see it...

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
Right, the CPS may have a bad mass fraction, but its low-boiloff technology is needed for chemical Mars missions.

SEP would work even if you went SEP for almost all the propulsion needs of the exploration stack, but I see a hybrid approach as much cheaper and realistic. For instance, using a SEP tug that has only a small fraction of the power of a full SEP propulsion stack to push the whole exploration stack to a Lagrange point or a high Earth orbit where it is met by a crew launched in Orion (or possibly some commercial crew-derived craft). Or even using SEP tugs to pre-place mission elements in Mars orbit or on its surface (obviously using EDL of some sort). Hybrid approach works well because it allows you to trade time for delta-v very deeply and because it's not necessarily on the "critical path" and is used only for pre-placing mission elements before any crew launches from Earth. Hybrid approach works best if you already have elements which can withstand long-duration spaceflight with very low-boiloff, like CPS.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline 93143

• Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 1
Personally I like hydrogen as a VASIMR propellant.

I didn't say low-boiloff wasn't necessary.  In fact I specifically said it was.  But this does not imply that a stage identical to the proposed CPS is "most definitely" needed for Mars, which is what you said and what I was objecting to.  ACES, for instance, does low-boiloff too, with what appears to me to be a more sophisticated approach, and it can be sized for SLS.

I guess I'll let things evolve and see where this goes...
« Last Edit: 11/18/2011 08:47 pm by 93143 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography