Author Topic: Marooned on Turner Classic Movies with Steve Bowen  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3129
  • Likes Given: 1075
TCM just ran the movie Marooned with a twist.  The host spoke with Steve Bowen during his expedition before and after the movie, one of my favorites.  Apparently Steve knew the host and introduced the movie to the him.  Steve said it was the first movie he remembers seeing in a theater.  The host asked about the accuracy of EVAs and Steve laughed saying "we spend more time before and after the EVA getting ready."  How movies are shown also came up and Steve mentioned a 3x4 ft screen and LCD projector.  Popcorn is obviously not an option but "candy and cookies" are.  Bravo to PAO, a frequent target of my wrath, for making this happen.  Presumably all future airings will include the interview. 
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 04:55 am by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7558
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Marooned on Turner Classic Movies with Steve Bowen
« Reply #1 on: 11/30/2023 11:41 am »
Over the summer I was doing some research at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum and saw their historical file on Marooned. They have a few interesting things in there. They have a lot of publicity photos (which aren't that great), but also a really nice full color booklet that was probably given to theater execs to introduce the movie to them. I think I have a few photos of that stuff that I'll post here.

I don't think the movie is all that good. It's very slow and overly dramatic. And the model work was pretty bad. The publicity photos show what look like models, not spacecraft. When you compare the movie to "2001" they are light years apart in terms of quality. I prefer the MST3K version.

I seem to remember that somehow the studio let the copyright lapse, which meant that the movie, at least for a short time, became public domain.

Update: Here are some photos from the promotional book, and a publicity shot.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 12:12 pm by Blackstar »

Online JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 844
  • Likes Given: 948
« Reply #2 on: 11/30/2023 12:08 pm »
Wonder how many (few) were around to read the original novel by Martin Cardin? It was written pre-Apollo, story dealt with a Mercury astronaut and a Gemini rescued him. Book got revised after the movie to reflect the Apollo capsule. https://www.amazon.com/Marooned-Martin-Caiden/dp/B000BMWY5G

“Powering up out of chimp mode. Standby.” I still use that occasionally coming off break.

For those unfamiliar with Marty’s work, do yourself a favor and take a dive. Cyborg was turned into The Six Million Dollar Man tv series, and The Saga of Iron Annie tells a great yarn of restoring a JU-52 in the early, wild, long lost days of the Warbird movement. Samurai! is a great, straightforward historical biography of Saburo Sakai, [size=78%]one of the highest scoring and surviving Japanese pilots of WW II. [/size][size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Martin-Caidin/dp/179165004X[/size]
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 07:06 pm by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline eric z

• Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 2098
« Reply #3 on: 11/30/2023 12:44 pm »
 Thanks for this! I have the original novel and think it might have made for a better movie, but of course it would have been
pretty dated by that time. Caiden was a great writer; all you young whippersnappers should check him out. 8)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8431
  • Likes Given: 1334
« Reply #4 on: 11/30/2023 01:06 pm »
Earlier in the evening, Steve introduced the 1989 documentary "For All Mankind", which had all of that great Apollo footage, backed by the  voices of several astronauts.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 11/30/2023 01:07 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline ccdengr

• Liked: 474
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: 11/30/2023 01:48 pm »
I don't think the movie is all that good. It's very slow and overly dramatic.
Don't disagree, but the scene where Gregory Peck is redlining steps in the launch procedure (and initialing them) so they can launch on time is an absolute aerospace classic, with great resonance for anyone who's ever experienced ATLO.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 3988
  • Likes Given: 2721
« Reply #6 on: 11/30/2023 07:05 pm »
and The Saga of Iron Annie tells a great yarn of restoring a JU-52 in the early, wild, long lost days of the Warbird movement.

Thanks, bought it on Abebooks just now.

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #7 on: 11/30/2023 07:17 pm »
I subscribe to TCM and have recorded Maroon, just haven't watched it yet. Will do shortly.

Offline AS_501

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 408
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #8 on: 11/30/2023 07:43 pm »
Best line in the movie given by David Jansen:  "Let's get this hay wagon off the ground!" (or something like that).  Thanks for posting.
Launches attended:  Apollo 11, ASTP (@KSC, not Baikonur!), STS-41G, STS-125, EFT-1, Starlink G4-24, Artemis 1
Notable Spacecraft Observed:  Echo 1, Skylab/S-II, Salyuts 6&7, Mir Core/Complete, HST, ISS Zarya/Present, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Dragon Demo-2, Starlink G4-14 (8 hrs. post-launch), Tiangong

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #9 on: 12/01/2023 10:07 pm »
Wonder how many (few) were around to read the original novel by Martin Cardin? It was written pre-Apollo, story dealt with a Mercury astronaut and a Gemini rescued him. Book got revised after the movie to reflect the Apollo capsule. https://www.amazon.com/Marooned-Martin-Caiden/dp/B000BMWY5G

“Powering up out of chimp mode. Standby.” I still use that occasionally coming off break.

For those unfamiliar with Marty’s work, do yourself a favor and take a dive. Cyborg was turned into The Six Million Dollar Man tv series, and The Saga of Iron Annie tells a great yarn of restoring a JU-52 in the early, wild, long lost days of the Warbird movement. Samurai! is a great, straightforward historical biography of Saburo Sakai, [size=78%]one of the highest scoring and surviving Japanese pilots of WW II. [/size][size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Martin-Caidin/dp/179165004X[/size]

I have both the original version of Marooned with Mercury-Gemini as the stars and then later one with Apollo and the lifting body.  I remember seeing the actual Titan III launch (at night) that was used.  (No Hurricane at the time, sorry).  I also have his "No Man's World" in which the Soviets beat us to the moon, but I did not like "The Cape" overmuch.  I actually got to fly with him once in the Civil Air Patrol (not in his JU-52 though).

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 12/02/2023 12:36 am »
Martin Caidin was a real character--probably in both good and bad ways. He was the kind of guy who apparently spent a lot of time at the bar when he wasn't flying his airplane or writing. He wrote a lot of books and I think he wrote non-fiction as well. He was one of those men's magazine type writers of the 1960s and 1970s. "The Cape" was about sabotaging a Skylab mission by blowing up a Saturn V in the VAB, and I remember reading a line in that book that was so amazingly sexist and crude that I wondered how the heck it ever got past an editor. He was that kind of guy.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #11 on: 12/02/2023 03:51 am »
To me the movie foretold both the manned maneuvering unit and a Saturn based space station.  Was Skylab already in development in 1968-9 or did it happen late in Apollo when the moon program was terminated?
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #12 on: 12/02/2023 03:52 am »
Earlier in the evening, Steve introduced the 1989 documentary "For All Mankind", which had all of that great Apollo footage, backed by the  voices of several astronauts.

- Ed Kyle

I DVR'd that as well, fortunately.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #13 on: 12/02/2023 03:55 am »
Best line in the movie given by David Jansen:  "Let's get this hay wagon off the ground!" (or something like that).  Thanks for posting.

I think the best scene was the XRV literally being dropped on the flatbed truck, no padding or anything else. I can see Jim cringing or laughing at that.  David Jansen launching into space with zero sleep in days also probably required a few flight rules to be X'd out...
« Last Edit: 12/02/2023 04:03 am by Targeteer »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #14 on: 12/02/2023 03:57 am »

I have both the original version of Marooned with Mercury-Gemini as the stars and then later one with Apollo and the lifting body.  I remember seeing the actual Titan III launch (at night) that was used.  (No Hurricane at the time, sorry).  I also have his "No Man's World" in which the Soviets beat us to the moon, but I did not like "The Cape" overmuch.  I actually got to fly with him once in the Civil Air Patrol (not in his JU-52 though).

what launch was it?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21280
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #15 on: 12/02/2023 01:48 pm »
To me the movie foretold both the manned maneuvering unit and a Saturn based space station.  Was Skylab already in development in 1968-9 or did it happen late in Apollo when the moon program was terminated?

AAP was in work much earlier.  MMU was from Gemini AMU

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21280
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #16 on: 12/02/2023 01:49 pm »

I think the best scene was the XRV literally being dropped on the flatbed truck, no padding or anything else. I can see Jim cringing or laughing at that.  David Jansen launching into space with zero sleep in days also probably required a few flight rules to be X'd out...

The fairing installation after astronaut ingress too.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 12/02/2023 06:01 pm »

Without looking up anything, AAP started around 1964, but it did not get refined into Skylab until after 1967 or so.

The AMU was supposed to be tested on Gemini, but the astronaut had problems. The AMU originally started out as a Manned Orbiting Laboratory project, but got transferred over to Gemini.

Online JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 844
  • Likes Given: 948
« Reply #18 on: 12/02/2023 08:11 pm »
Martin Caidin was a real character--probably in both good and bad ways. He was the kind of guy who apparently spent a lot of time at the bar when he wasn't flying his airplane or writing. He wrote a lot of books and I think he wrote non-fiction as well. He was one of those men's magazine type writers of the 1960s and 1970s. "The Cape" was about sabotaging a Skylab mission by blowing up a Saturn V in the VAB, and I remember reading a line in that book that was so amazingly sexist and crude that I wondered how the heck it ever got past an editor. He was that kind of guy.

It was that kind of time, good and bad. Without these renegades many warbirds would be scrap metal, and some are because of them, with their bodies wrapped up in the wreckage. Warbirds now are much safer, and the renegades are frowned upon, but shit still happens.

« Last Edit: 12/02/2023 08:48 pm by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #19 on: 12/02/2023 08:25 pm »

Without looking up anything, AAP started around 1964, but it did not get refined into Skylab until after 1967 or so.

The AMU was supposed to be tested on Gemini, but the astronaut had problems. The AMU originally started out as a Manned Orbiting Laboratory project, but got transferred over to Gemini.

Thanks to Blackstar and Jim for the AAP references.  A search revealed a story, on this site, which I vaguely remember from earlier this year...  https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2023/05/skylab-at-50/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography