Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 12  (Read 1132145 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80117
  • Likes Given: 36283
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 12
« Reply #2460 on: 11/30/2023 10:44 pm »
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1730344659925315960

And the sign is complete!

Gateway To Mars.

nsf.live/starbase

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7791
  • Likes Given: 7287
« Reply #2461 on: 12/01/2023 03:56 am »
At 6:30 p.m. a lone employee checks out the sign installation with a flashlight.  No lighting test tonight.

Picture attached: Squint in the upper right-hand corner.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2023 03:58 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #2462 on: 12/01/2023 07:00 am »
https://twitter.com/enneps/status/1730397026477641865

"Gateway to Mars"
Catch all the action 24/7 on @NASASpaceflight's Starbase Live
nsf.live/starbase

Online catdlr

« Reply #2463 on: 12/01/2023 07:24 am »

"Gateway to Mars"
Catch all the action 24/7 on @NASASpaceflight's Starbase Live
nsf.live/starbase

Interestingly, they require a large crane to lift over the wall a smaller crane in order to affix the letter "E" onto the wall. This suggests the possibility of a pit or gap beneath the letter E that made it difficult for the installer to properly position their ladder.  That solves that mystery.  Hopefully, the lighting comes tomorrow or soon thereafter.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2023 07:27 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline KilroySmith

• Phoenix, AZ, USA
  • Liked: 393
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #2464 on: 12/01/2023 02:20 pm »
At 6:30 p.m. a lone employee checks out the sign installation with a flashlight.  No lighting test tonight.

True, somewhat related story.  Two weeks ago, we had a new sign installed on our building announcing our company name.  Since then, electricians have occasionally been poking through the ceilings and in the wiring closet trying to figure out why the sign wouldn't light up.  Yesterday, one of them came in sheepishly and announced that the switch on the back of the sign was turned off, and once he flipped it on, everything worked.

Hey Elon - can I get a free ride if this suggestion pans out?

Offline allins

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #2465 on: 12/01/2023 03:49 pm »

True, somewhat related story.  Two weeks ago, we had a new sign installed on our building announcing our company name.  Since then, electricians have occasionally been poking through the ceilings and in the wiring closet trying to figure out why the sign wouldn't light up.  Yesterday, one of them came in sheepishly and announced that the switch on the back of the sign was turned off, and once he flipped it on, everything worked.

Hey Elon - can I get a free ride if this suggestion pans out?

"Clark, are you sure they're plugged in?"  :)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #2466 on: 12/01/2023 07:33 pm »
https://twitter.com/vickicocks15/status/1730685624900878461

Goddamn it! I swear I posted a full explanation for this! The rear panel of the BQD has been removed from the OLM.
@LabPadre #NerdleCam

Some shots from Starbase live attached

Online catdlr

« Reply #2467 on: 12/02/2023 12:29 am »
A nice reflection of the signage on the marsh.
Photo Credit Starship Gazer Live Stream

No additional tanks were delivered as of 5:30 p.m.
Photo credit LabPadre
« Last Edit: 12/02/2023 12:37 am by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #2468 on: 12/02/2023 01:29 am »
Meanwhile, there has been considerable work being done at the OLM, especially the chopsticks.  Ads you can see numerous man lifts and welding going on.

Photo Credit.  NSF Livestream
« Last Edit: 12/02/2023 01:31 am by catdlr »

Offline Nomadd

• Solomon Islands
  • Liked: 60361
  • Likes Given: 1293
« Reply #2469 on: 12/02/2023 01:55 am »
 I'm kind of offended they didn't go with the sign I suggested to them.

"Last services for 45 million miles"
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline lykos

• Greece
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #2470 on: 12/02/2023 09:38 am »
"million miles" sounds better!

Offline baking

• Boston
  • Liked: 575
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #2471 on: 12/02/2023 01:51 pm »
"million miles" sounds better!
Do you remember what happened the last time we tried using imperial units to get to Mars?
« Last Edit: 12/02/2023 02:30 pm by baking »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #2472 on: 12/02/2023 03:40 pm »
https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1730985177340403928

Crews worked to repair and modify the Orbital Tank Farm and Launch Mount, and a new large GSE tank was delivered. Meanwhile, the Gateway To Mars sign had its first test lighting.

Video from myself, Sean (@SeanKD_Photos), and SBL for @NASASpaceflight.

➡️

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1527
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2473 on: 12/03/2023 06:43 pm »
If you look at Lab Cam 2, you can see that they're tearing out the curb and container wall along the road in front of the horizontal tank farm. 

Expect another tall wall maybe, like at the other end behind the sub-orbital farm.

Online catdlr

« Reply #2474 on: 12/03/2023 11:11 pm »
The new signage mirrored the Marsh waters at high tide

Screen Grab Photo Credits: StarShip Gazer
« Last Edit: 12/03/2023 11:23 pm by catdlr »

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4139
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #2475 on: 12/03/2023 11:46 pm »
Do we know the reason for these walls? it looks like they may cause the "gust front" from the booster engine exhaust to rise away from the ground, thereby reducing the amount of dust and debris being picked up.

Online catdlr

« Reply #2476 on: 12/03/2023 11:51 pm »
Do we know the reason for these walls? it looks like they may cause the "gust front" from the booster engine exhaust to rise away from the ground, thereby reducing the amount of dust and debris being picked up.

That might be one possibility. I believe it is due to security and camera coverage, but this is only the case on the West and North sides (highlighted in RED). The south and east sides do not have any walls.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2023 11:57 pm by catdlr »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4646
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #2477 on: 12/04/2023 08:54 am »

That might be one possibility. I believe it is due to security and camera coverage, but this is only the case on the West and North sides (highlighted in RED). The south and east sides do not have any walls.
All I will say is that the walls are multipurpose and there will eventually be more walls all of the way around the launch complex, however some sections will not all end up where one would currently expect based on the what everyone currently sees. They are being built in phases. Happenings elsewhere in Starbase with recently occurred out of state arrivals that will eventually end up moving to the launch complex is your biggest hint as to when the walls will fully connect end to end minus the required perimeter gates.

Online catdlr

« Reply #2478 on: 12/04/2023 10:03 am »

Wouldn’t it be better if the 24-hour timelapse videos had their own thread in the forum? After all, there are days when they don’t provide any relevant content.

There is always something relevant happening every day. The video serves as a reference, allowing you to go back to the original live feed for more details. I did consider that, but I will wait until the mods inform me.  BTW, when responding by the Quote, delete the links to YT and Twitter as it's not necessary.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2023 10:05 am by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #2479 on: 12/04/2023 04:07 pm »

All I will say is that the walls are multipurpose and there will eventually be more walls all of the way around the launch complex, however some sections will not all end up where one would currently expect based on the what everyone currently sees. They are being built in phases. Happenings elsewhere in Starbase with recently occurred out of state arrivals that will eventually end up moving to the launch complex is your biggest hint as to when the walls will fully connect end to end minus the required perimeter gates.

russianhalo117
I think it would be a mistake to construct a wall near the OLM and the orbital launch area. This is because the combination of engine blast and high-pressure steam (water vaporized) could have two effects. Firstly, it may blow over the wall, causing debris to land on the nature preserve. Secondly, similar to what happened during the helicopter extraction of Bin Laden, the router blowdown created a suction effect. This could potentially be detrimental to the initial seconds of the launch, as vaporized gases would be directed upwards and then inward towards the OLM instead of outward.

Best
Tony

Tags: OLIT 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography