Author Topic: DIRECT v2.0 - Thread 4  (Read 79951 times)

Offline Stephan

• Veteran
  • Paris
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: DIRECT v2.0 - Thread 4
« Reply #160 on: 05/31/2009 12:57 pm »
Any feedback from the ISDC 2009 ?
Best regards, Stephan

Offline usn_skwerl

• Space Junkie
  • Ad Astra
  • South Bend, IN
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #161 on: 05/31/2009 10:43 pm »
Good question, Stephan. Unfortunately www.spacevidcast.com couldn't cover the Direct talk, because they were on their own panel at the same time in another room, and were suffering from minimal bandwidth.

I was really hoping to hear the Direct guys, and found out later that the viewers who saw it were baffled and amazed that NASA chose Ares over Jupiter. I even threatened extreme violence if Direct wasn't covered. :D

So what's up? How'd it go?

If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 810
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #162 on: 05/31/2009 11:02 pm »
It went very well.   I will prepare a more comprehensive answer for later, but we were delighted with the response and the feedback so far.

The conference also gave us the opportunity to meet a lot of important people and open some new doors which were previously closed to us -- and with a touch of luck, those could prove to be quite important.

As I say, after a good night's sleep and a little rest I will try to put something more comprehensive together for you all.

Alternatively, you could all just listen-in to "The Space Show" on Tuesday night -- I will be Dr. Livingstone's guest for the evening (7pm PDT, 10pm EDT).

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
  • Liked: 960
  • Likes Given: 2107
« Reply #163 on: 06/01/2009 12:21 am »
May be getting off topic, but solar shades tend to cool (and dry) the tropics drastically, but fail to cool the poles enough to save the ice caps.  So they aren't a practical solution to keeping the Earth's climate suitable for habitation by 10 billion people.

There was an AGU session on this a few years ago; abstracts might still be online.

People also forget that the ITCZ (Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone) reflects a great deal of sunlight out into space from its cloud masses. Reducing the insolation there could reduce evaporation rates, reducing cloud formation and actually doing more harm than good. Also, keeping temperatures low while CO2 levels rise can have other feedback loops. Forests will spread more readily, lowering albedo.

The Earth is a very complex system. I would say the best way Direct 3.0 can help climate change is with orbital SPS, or night-time mirrors to solar farms.

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
  • Liked: 960
  • Likes Given: 2107
« Reply #164 on: 06/01/2009 12:25 am »
The biggest launch requirement for a solar shield is not Payload MASS, its the same one as for Space-based Solar Power too: Payload VOLUME.

Yes, you still need some pretty serious mass capability too, but the volume is the more critical limitation.

Even just the Jupiter-130 would be able to loft a 12m diameter, 30m barrel PLF, carrying a total mass right around 60mT or so.   One of those would be able to lift a fairly vast solar 'blanket' to LEO, or a really large solar array for powering an SSP module.   There might even be room to do both in the one unit if the solar arrays can be made large enough and light enough to act as the solar shield as well!

We could lift some pretty impressive payloads in this category if there is the demand.

Ross.

Hadn't considered volume vs mass - obvious now you mention it.

BTW, I was assuming SEL1. I guess this would require J-24x. How much mass/volume could be lifted to SEL1?

cheers, Martin

Since it could probably sail itself to SEL1, about the same as could be lifted to a 1000x1000km orbit.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #165 on: 06/01/2009 05:36 am »
New Jupiter-130/246 animation sequence!

Here's what a lot of you have been waiting to see!

Thanks go to Philip Metschan for all his hard work on this getting it ready for us at ISDC!

Enjoy.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 06:23 am by kraisee »
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #166 on: 06/01/2009 05:40 am »
And here is the .wmv version.

This one is slightly lower quality, yet is roughly twice the file-size too.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 06:04 am by kraisee »
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline duane

• Liked: 2
« Reply #167 on: 06/01/2009 05:42 am »
And here is the .wmv version.

Ross.

Was this shown at the conf ? It certainly shows in very very graphic and
simple terms what Direct is all about. Much more informative than 10's of post explaining it here

Duane

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #168 on: 06/01/2009 05:46 am »
Yes, this was one of our opening slides in our ISDC Presentation.

In the next few days this will replace the 'old' animations currently on the website.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 05:47 am by kraisee »
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline duane

• Liked: 2
« Reply #169 on: 06/01/2009 06:18 am »
Yes, this was one of our opening slides in our ISDC Presentation.

In the next few days this will replace the 'old' animations currently on the website.

Ross.

Great concept for the vid. Show the Direct concept better than anything I have seen

Duane

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #170 on: 06/01/2009 06:27 am »
Philip is a really talented guy -- which is why he was Graphic Designer for "WALL-E" after all!

All credit really goes to him.

The only person who has gotten close to showing DIRECT as well as this so far has been Antonio Maia.   A few years ago he did our original video sequence of a complete real-time Jupiter launch using "Orbiter".   And that is pretty impressive to watch too.   I'm looking forward to seeing the new DIRECT v3.0 implementation which he, and others, are currently working on.

I wonder if they can get something done in time to include as part of the Augustine presentation...

Ross.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 06:30 am by kraisee »
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #171 on: 06/01/2009 06:52 am »
Thanks for posting the updated animation...it really looks great. Man, I thought Direct 2.0 looked cool, but Direct 3 is an even better looking launch vehicle. It was an old pilot's thing that if the aircraft looked right, it would fly right. Well Direct 3 just looks right.
Great work guys.

Offline Cale

• Bowmanville, ON Canada
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #172 on: 06/01/2009 11:28 am »
Philip is a really talented guy -- which is why he was Graphic Designer for "WALL-E" after all!

All credit really goes to him.

The only person who has gotten close to showing DIRECT as well as this so far has been Antonio Maia.   A few years ago he did our original video sequence of a complete real-time Jupiter launch using "Orbiter".   And that is pretty impressive to watch too.   I'm looking forward to seeing the new DIRECT v3.0 implementation which he, and others, are currently working on.

I wonder if they can get something done in time to include as part of the Augustine presentation...

Ross.

Well, I've got the J130 flying into orbit using your last-posted specs (May 5).  I did guidance files for both a 30x100nm (ie. STS profile) and the circular 100nm launches.  Meshes/Textures are old, but the guidance file very closely matches what's on the cards (as you can imagine, there are some limitations with Orbiter).

What's the timeline you're working with for the Augustine presentation? If you'd like, Ross, I could record a couple of flights and post/send to you.

Best,

Cale
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 11:30 am by Cale »

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #173 on: 06/01/2009 02:13 pm »
Yes, thanks Cale.   Also PM me your e-mail address so I can provide the meshes/textures.

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Danny Dot

• Rocket Scientist, NOT Retired
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #174 on: 06/01/2009 03:01 pm »
Great video -- and you kept it to less than 2 minutes.  You might look at making an MPEG4 that all readers can read.  Be careful to not make an non-standard MPEG4.  This way you wouldn't need a Mac version and a PC version.  MPEG4 is a universal standard for readers, but most coders don't use it because that want to make a file that only their reader can read. 

Did I see the size of the LOX tank is increased?  If it is, can you explain why?  3 SSMEs on shuttle should burn the same as 3 SSME's on Jupiter.

Danny Deger
Danny Deger

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #175 on: 06/01/2009 03:05 pm »
Good suggestion Danny, I'll see about making an MPEG version.

And no, the LOX tank is sized to precisely the same capacity as the current ET's Ogive tank.

We do still have an option to increase the capacity of both the LOX and LH2 tanks by ~7-9% (in the same way as NLS was going to), but right now, mostly for simplicity sake, we have simply chosen not to mess around with altering the capacities.   We can close all performance requirements comfortably without it.

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #176 on: 06/01/2009 03:09 pm »
Just want to make sure it is cool to take that link outside of NSF...could I post the new animation to the Facebook group?

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #177 on: 06/01/2009 03:14 pm »
Danny, your wish is my command! :)

MPEG 4 version is here.

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #178 on: 06/01/2009 03:18 pm »
I'm fine with re-distribution, but I would very much prefer people use the links to the 'parent' versions on the website, just in case they are updated for any reason.

In order of picture quality, the correct links to use are:-

http://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/Direct/media/video/STS_to_Jupiter-246.mov
http://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/Direct/media/video/STS_to_Jupiter-246.mp4
http://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/Direct/media/video/STS_to_Jupiter-246.wmv

They are all active as of right now.

I am already preparing a YouTube version for embedding, but it is still "processing".   It will be located here:

Ross.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 03:26 pm by kraisee »
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
« Reply #179 on: 06/01/2009 03:21 pm »
When do we get an official Direct 3.0 Thread?

Seems these animations would be a great way to kick off that thread.  :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography