Author Topic: 'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show  (Read 127033 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8

You would avoid those sort of injuries.  Since we have accumulated over 60 crew years in space to date without such injuries or even the need for invasive surgery, I suggest the risk is low

Okay, but the story of The Expanse is set in a world where millions of people are living and working in space, and even wars have been fought in space. We got to see some interesting scenes of them treating the wounded, and their interesting innovative solution to their predicament.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131

You would avoid those sort of injuries.  Since we have accumulated over 60 crew years in space to date without such injuries or even the need for invasive surgery, I suggest the risk is low

Okay, but the story of The Expanse is set in a world where millions of people are living and working in space, and even wars have been fought in space. We got to see some interesting scenes of them treating the wounded, and their interesting innovative solution to their predicament.

There has been a little bit of research into this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctors-perform-zero-gravity-surgery/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528843-600-space-surgery-possible-with-zero-gravity-tool/

https://newatlas.com/medical-team-attempts-simulated-zero-gravity-surgery/38330/

Enough to inspire SF writers anyway! :)

Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline sanman

On a related note - what was the fluid they'd pump into themselves during their high-G maneuvers, and how did it help them? Is this based on some real life biomedical technology?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
On a related note - what was the fluid they'd pump into themselves during their high-G maneuvers, and how did it help them? Is this based on some real life biomedical technology?

I think it is supposed to be some adrenaline cocktail with various sci-fi medical benefits.  :) (preventing stroke, nausea, and keeping you awake) Not based on real biomedical technology that I'm aware of. The books go into more detail but I cannot recall all of them.
« Last Edit: 11/16/2018 05:36 pm by Lars-J »

Offline sanman

I think it is supposed to be some adrenaline cocktail with various sci-fi medical benefits.  :) (preventing stroke, nausea, and keeping you awake) Not based on real biomedical technology that I'm aware of. The books go into more detail but I cannot recall all of them.

I was thinking that it'd just be easier to spread out the G-forces and avoid sudden acceleration/deceleration maneuvers. But then I suppose it would look less dramatic onscreen.  :P

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 593

I thought it was injected to the suit and helmets to counter the blood pressure by external force, based on something like the libelle  suit:
https://www.carterny.com/types-of-flight-suits-used-around-the-world/
Is there any indication in the series that the liquid was supposedly being injected to their body ?
« Last Edit: 11/16/2018 07:28 pm by dror »
Space is hard immensely complex and high risk !

Offline Lars-J

• California

I thought it was injected to the suit and helmets to counter the blood pressure by external force, based on something like the libelle  suit:
Is there any indication in the series that the liquid was supposedly being injected to their body ?

Yes, it is certainly injected in the body, that is mentioned several times in the books. And it is shown in the first episode of the TV show. (see image, from the "flip and burn" sequence 29 minutes in)

EDIT: I found the whole scene on Youtube in good quality:

« Last Edit: 11/16/2018 07:47 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Darga

• Beyond the wall
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 881

The "Juice" is most definitely injected into their bodies for the reasons Lars-J stated.

Offline sanman

Yes, it is certainly injected in the body, that is mentioned several times in the books. And it is shown in the first episode of the TV show. (see image, from the "flip and burn" sequence 29 minutes in)

EDIT: I found the whole scene on Youtube in good quality:

Thanks for that clip. So they also show people biting down on some kind of mouth guards - what's that for? Normally, I think of mouth guards as being for contact sports. In the context of the High-G maneuver, are mouth guards meant to keep one's teeth from clattering together or otherwise being damaged?

You can see how during the maneuver there seems to be a lot of vibration, so I assume this could result in teeth clattering.

Would we ever see mouth guards used in real life?
I've read that some of those Soyuz re-entries can get a little rough.
« Last Edit: 11/17/2018 10:53 pm by sanman »

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20640
Once we get Epstein drives all bets are off.

Offline sanman

Isn't the Epstein drive supposed to be nuclear-powered MPD? In which case, then why all that vibration - other than for dramatic effect?

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Epstein_Drive

The Epstein Drive is a modified fusion drive[1] invented by Solomon Epstein around 130 BXT. It enabled humanity to travel beyond Earth and the inner planets, and colonize the Asteroid Belt and outer planets.

The drive utilizes magnetic coil exhaust acceleration to increase drive efficiency, which enables spaceships to sustain thrust throughout the entire voyage. A ship fitted with the efficient Epstein drive is able to run the drive continuously for acceleration to its goal and then after flipping at about the halfway point is able to run the drive continuously during deceleration. Previous engine designs used propellant less efficiently and could not be run long enough to achieve the high velocities that the Epstein drive permitted.

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20640
Isn't the Epstein drive supposed to be nuclear-powered MPD? In which case, then why all that vibration - other than for dramatic effect?

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Epstein_Drive

The Epstein Drive is a modified fusion drive[1] invented by Solomon Epstein around 130 BXT. It enabled humanity to travel beyond Earth and the inner planets, and colonize the Asteroid Belt and outer planets.

The drive utilizes magnetic coil exhaust acceleration to increase drive efficiency, which enables spaceships to sustain thrust throughout the entire voyage. A ship fitted with the efficient Epstein drive is able to run the drive continuously for acceleration to its goal and then after flipping at about the halfway point is able to run the drive continuously during deceleration. Previous engine designs used propellant less efficiently and could not be run long enough to achieve the high velocities that the Epstein drive permitted.

Scott Manley's "The Rocket Science of 'The Expanse'" nicely sums it up.  It's a magic sci-fi space drive.  And it runs on "efficiency"!  ;D

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 627
Does anyone know when or if season 3 is coming to Netflix?

Seasons 1 & 2 have disappeared from my list as well.

Offline Lars-J

• California
Does anyone know when or if season 3 is coming to Netflix?

Seasons 1 & 2 have disappeared from my list as well.

Is Amazon Prime streaming available down under? If so I would expect Expanse to move there (soon if it has not already). If not, there might be some delays as new streaming rights are negotiated.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2018 06:00 am by Lars-J »

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
Thanks.  I'll check.

I thought that as Netflix made / was making season 3 that it would be still with them until season 4.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
Thanks.  I'll check.

I thought that as Netflix made / was making season 3 that it would be still with them until season 4.

SyFy cancelled the Expanse after three seasons. The show was picked up by Amazon for season four, not Netflix. Amazon has seasons one and two included with Prime, but you have to pay for season three (in the USA, don't know about other countries).

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
I am currently reading book 8 in the series.  If the authors keep this up we may end up with something bigger than Star Trek.

Has anyone heard anything about this going to DVD ?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
What’s a DVD?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Something slightly more sophisticated than an Edison wax cylinder.

No format ever goes away completely.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
I prefer solid media (Blu-Ray, DVD) to streaming stuff. But then again; I only buy media now if I really like something. Otherwise, I'm content to watch things once in passing if I'm only moderately/medium interested in something. Like, you know; on Netflix...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography