Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424152 times)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
ASDS OCISLY: Worlds Raddest Barge!
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
 :-*

"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Great video from the camera drone showing OCISLY wallowing in the waves. Definitely not perfectly stable, but she caught the rocket anyway. Strike!

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
What? No kaboom?  :o

A superb landing!!! Way to go OCISLY!

And, to make this post not quite entirely worthless, a note on the sea state; it's very windy out there - those kind of whitcaps only occur when you've got strong surface winds. I'd say right on the edge of gale force.

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
I'm looping the landing, and it really looks to me as if it bounced/scooted just a bit on landing.  (As in, it looked like the initial landing point was actually closer to the center than the final resting point.)  Obviously, it would've been built for that, and it didn't hurt, but if it did translate just a bit, the targeting may actually be a smidge *better* than the resting stage makes it look.

amazing amazing

should we now get the name changed to of course i caught it!

Offline MarekCyzio

When do you guys estimate it will come back to the port? I need to be at Jetty park for that!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
When do you guys estimate it will come back to the port? I need to be at Jetty park for that!

I figure at a minimum, around 36 hours from now...which is early Sunday morning. But that assumes a fairly quick securing process for the stage. If it takes longer to tie the stage down, maybe later Sunday morning or early afternoon.

Since you are local you can wake up early Sunday morning and check MarineTraffic. They'll show up offshore on AIS at least an hour before reaching port.

Update: Elon confirmed Sunday arrival at press conference.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2016 10:22 pm by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

Looks like the support ships weren't hesitating to get there, unless they anchor that close the whole time anyway. I can see why they would need or want to get there quickly, with surface winds so strong, but assume the remote safing can't be avoided, and would take an hour or two before approach.

:-*

« Last Edit: 04/08/2016 10:34 pm by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

so they are welding her down directly to the deck  elon just confirmed

Offline MarekCyzio

I figure at a minimum, around 36 hours from now...which is early Sunday morning. But that assumes a fairly quick securing process for the stage. If it takes longer to tie the stage down, maybe later Sunday morning or early afternoon.

Since you are local you can wake up early Sunday morning and check MarineTraffic. They'll show up offshore on AIS at least an hour before reaching port.

Thank you. I guess I will be spending my Sunday at the beach ;)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Looks like the support ships weren't hesitating to get there, unless they anchor that close the whole time anyway. I can see why they would need or want to get there quickly, with surface winds so strong, but assume the remote safing can't be avoided, and would take an hour or two before approach?

Hans said some time ago the support ships wait about 10 miles away and it takes them an hour or two to get back on board the barge.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2016 10:28 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Cross-posting from abaddon, quoting Elon at the press conference:

OCISLY was maintaining within a meter of targeted position today.

One meter position accuracy on the barge...just like we said was possible... ;)

Awesome for those wind and sea conditions. Which means GPS "knowledge" accuracy was probably even better...most error probably from thruster control loop conteracting wind/wave action.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2016 10:43 pm by Kabloona »

Offline CyndyC

Thank you. I guess I will be spending my Sunday at the beach ;)

Wouldn't Fish Lips have a better view, or not? I finished my taxes after working all week on them, so might be a good way to reward myself. It would be about a 2 hr drive from Jacksonville.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Tuts36

• Memphis, TN
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 2002
Cross-posting from abaddon, quoting Elon at the press conference:

One meter position accuracy on the barge...just like we said was possible... ;)

Awesome for those wind and sea conditions. Which means GPS "knowledge" accuracy was probably even better...most error probably from thruster control loop conteracting wind/wave action.

He also pointed out in the press conference that, since it has 4 engines & other equipment installed, we really shouldn't be calling it a barge anymore as he now considers it a ship  ;D

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943

ASDS OCISLY: Worlds Raddest Barge!
(Ship!)
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
Also Elon said ultimately it'll be at Port Canaveral but not sure if it is initial destination.

@17m42s mark
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
Looks like the support ships weren't hesitating to get there, unless they anchor that close the whole time anyway.
  Huh?  No?  What do you think you are seeing?

Hans said some time ago the support ships wait about 10 miles away and it takes them an hour or two to get back on board the barge.
Yes, I remember that it seems that it was a year back, at the CRS-7 pre-launch conference?  But in the time since (and before) then we've had a tremendous demonstration of the F9's accuracy in smart bomb mode.  I would think they would have relaxed their standoff distance by now.

I suspect that those barge fixer guys are really having a career high feel good moment now, the kind that has them cutting pictures out of newspapers to be preserved.

I think we need to be looking in the next few months for additional Marmac conversions. 
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Space Opera

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 3
Also Elon said ultimately it'll be at Port Canaveral but not sure if it is initial destination.
What could be this initial destination ?
« Last Edit: 04/08/2016 11:59 pm by Space Opera »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography