Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 1  (Read 424504 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site
« Reply #480 on: 06/14/2012 07:00 pm »
Extinction? Really? Are you really going there? Please, NASA has a long history of rocket launches next to wetlands. They have an excellent track record. I'm sure SpaceX with correct oversight could do much the same. This is too much environmental hype and I'm a big conservationist myself.

but remember SpaceX is NOT NASA.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #481 on: 06/14/2012 07:09 pm »
And your point? SpaceX will still have to go by Texas and US environmental,standards. They will not get a free ride in this. Remember we are talking about 6 or less launches a year. That's only one launch every several month at most, tops. This is not an airport and will not have the environmental footprint like a Spaceport America that plans near daily flights.
« Last Edit: 06/14/2012 07:14 pm by mr. mark »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #482 on: 06/14/2012 07:25 pm »
Extinction? Really? Are you really going there? Please, NASA has a long history of rocket launches next to wetlands. They have an excellent track record. I'm sure SpaceX with correct oversight could do much the same. This is too much environmental hype and I'm a big conservationist myself.

I went there in broad terms because this board was bashing environmentalism in very broad terms. I assume that a happy middle ground between wild-eyed conservationists and wild-eyed conservationist-bashers can be found, and correct oversight is exactly what I support. But the amount of unanswered snideness about how much trouble "they" always cause "us", and the examples of evil, obnoxious environmentalists getting thrown about, were unacceptable to me. This isn't a pro- or anti-conservation board, so I have no particular problem asking the anti-folks to cool their jets a little. They chill, I chill, and this thread goes back on topic.

EDIT: I actually agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Mark & JBF.  "Extinction" is apparently way more of a buzzword than I realized, so I apologize for effectively derailing my own argument up front.
Not only that, but there need not be antithesis between conservation and space travel. Arguably, the unique perspective given by space travel provided the motivation for the modern environmental movement:

And astronauts started this environmental project:
http://www.fragileoasis.org/
« Last Edit: 06/14/2012 07:27 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #483 on: 06/17/2012 07:01 pm »
There are several things mentioned here that I haven't heard of before, such as Perry's May 9 letter to the FAA and Musk's statement that Florida and Puerto Rico have had stronger cases.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/spacex-141476-meeting-elon.html

State ramps up attempt to lure SpaceX to Brownsville
June 16, 2012 9:50 PM
By LAURA B. MARTINEZ/The Brownsville Herald

Days after a meeting between Gov. Rick Perry and SpaceX founder Elon Musk, the governor’s office is doing all it can to persuade the multimillionaire to build a launch pad near Brownsville.

“We are looking at pretty much anything that we can do,” said Lucy Nashed, deputy press secretary for the governor. “Pretty much everything is on the table at this point because we are really interested in the project.”

(snip)

Texas has been working with SpaceX, short for Space Exploration Technologies, for about a year and is working on an incentives package to help lure the company to Cameron County. Because negotiations are still under way, no details are being released, Nashed said.

In a letter dated May 9 to the Federal Aviation Administration, Perry expressed his support for the SpaceX launch site coming to the Brownsville area. He states the project could mean “well-paying jobs and economic development to South Texas.”

“Please know that I strongly support the efforts of SpaceX and the Brownsville community to bring this business to Texas. I ask you to favorably approve their application for a South Texas launch site,” he wrote.

Although Musk has said that Florida and Puerto Rico have made stronger cases than Texas for the new launch site, he also said that things were changing.

SpaceX could not be reached Friday for comment.

Sources have reported after Texas appeared last week to be gaining the top spot in the competition to lure the new SpaceX launch site, Florida is trying to sweeten the deal they offered the company.

“We are no stranger to competition,” Nashed, Perry’s spokeswoman said. “If Florida wants to step up their game, then of course we are certainly open to that. We really want this project to be here and we are committed to doing what we can to get it here.”

(snip)
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
« Reply #484 on: 06/17/2012 08:00 pm »
All else being equal, Florida and PR can reach more orbits. Texas could take load away from other sites by handling the launches that wouldn't care, but ultimately would not be as versatile.

I'm guessing they want to crank the launch rate at the fully custom site higher than the others though, so that's a fairly sizable disadvantage.

As usual though, the optimal strategy is to pursue everything at once. I've seen it suggested that all they really want is bargaining power at the cape, but I think they went into this willing to pull the trigger on any of the above in the right circumstances. If it's a partially a bargaining tactic it's because the threat is credible.

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #485 on: 06/17/2012 08:46 pm »

All else being equal, Florida and PR can reach more orbits. Texas could take load away from other sites by handling the launches that wouldn't care, but ultimately would not be as versatile.

I'm guessing they want to crank the launch rate at the fully custom site higher than the others though, so that's a fairly sizable disadvantage.

As usual though, the optimal strategy is to pursue everything at once. I've seen it suggested that all they really want is bargaining power at the cape, but I think they went into this willing to pull the trigger on any of the above in the right circumstances. If it's a partially a bargaining tactic it's because the threat is credible.

I think the real need is to find an East coast site for F9H. They can't easily convert SLC 40 to handle it without the the substantial modifications that have been discussed elsewhere: second hanger, second set of tracks coming in at 90 degrees to the current set etc. That work would probably lead to considerable downtime which would affect traffic to ISS and other F9 missions.

KSC might be an alternative to Texas for F9H. In which case, I think you're right: there is an element of bargaining going on.
Douglas Clark

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #486 on: 06/17/2012 08:58 pm »
I think the real need is to find an East coast site for F9H.

Wallops
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #487 on: 06/17/2012 09:27 pm »
Well once they truly master reusability, and if the rockets will self-ferry, they will need a factory outlet launch site. 
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline douglas100

« Reply #488 on: 06/17/2012 10:20 pm »
I think the real need is to find an East coast site for F9H.

Wallops

You think so? For GTO missions?
Douglas Clark

« Reply #489 on: 06/17/2012 10:24 pm »
Well once they truly master reusability, and if the rockets will self-ferry, they will need a factory outlet launch site. 
Self-ferrying over populated landmasses will never happen.

Offline douglas100

« Reply #490 on: 06/17/2012 10:30 pm »

You mean if they master re-usability.

As far as self-ferrying rockets are concerned, they are so far down the line (even if this ability were needed, which I doubt) that they have no relevance to whether SpaceX sets up a Texas launch site or not.
Douglas Clark

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #491 on: 06/18/2012 12:17 am »
Yes - "If", not "when".  But IF they do, there will be a track record of performance, and I don't see a problem flying overland.  Airplanes fly fully fueled over cities, and airplanes have accidents into cities.  It's accepted.  Of course jetliners are incredibly reliable, but they also fly a lot, and at the end of the day, we do have a major incident about once a year or two.

There are reasonable precautions to take, such as starting and ending each burn in a "safe" flight envelope, so that failure to ignite (or RUD on ignition) will always crash into a cleared area, but at least the rocket won't be circling over town in a waiting pattern for 30 minutes before being allowed to land.

And sure - everything about rapid-reusable first stages is not going to happen next year.  But they are not building a TX site while thinking only a couple of years ahead, are they?

All I'm saying is that assuming rockets will be able to rapid-reuse, then odds are they will self-ferry, and once they do, there will be a launch pad whose main requirement will be being next to the stage integration floor, wherever that might be.

« Reply #492 on: 06/18/2012 12:31 am »
All I'm saying is that assuming rockets will be able to rapid-reuse, then odds are they will self-ferry, and once they do, there will be a launch pad whose main requirement will be being next to the stage integration floor, wherever that might be.
Bringing us back to the point: self-ferrying over populated landmasses will never happen.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #493 on: 06/18/2012 01:17 am »
self-ferrying over populated landmasses will never happen.

TBD, I guess.   There are a number of LTA proponents from the 1920's that would like a quick word meanwhile...

Offline douglas100

« Reply #494 on: 06/18/2012 08:04 am »

And sure - everything about rapid-reusable first stages is not going to happen next year.  But they are not building a TX site while thinking only a couple of years ahead, are they?

How do you know that? This is a proposed development. How do you know it's not just a bargaining ploy?

My last comment on self ferrying rockets. Unnecessary and completely unacceptable from the safety point of view. And they have nothing to do with the proposed Texas site. Rockets are  not airliners.  Spaceflight is not aviation. The history of aviation is not a reliable guide to the future of spaceflight. Self ferrying rockets are OT: they should be in Advanced Concepts.
Douglas Clark

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #495 on: 06/18/2012 01:28 pm »
Fair enough.   Agreed on advanced topics, agreed on aviation not being a close analog, and also on the TX site not being necessarily related, and definitely agreeing this is speculative.

I can't tell for sure that the whole rapid-reuse idea is not a ploy.  Even the Mars scenario may be a ploy to get people motivated on the floor.  After all, Mars hardware is speculative at best right now.

But given all of these admissions...   Grant me that rapid-reuse, if it comes to pass, will be a paradigm shift in cost and in the way rocket ops are viewed.   So for speculation on what-if rapid reuse happens, current rocket ops and current rocketry constraints are not a very good guide either.

That said - I can start a thread on rapid-reuse - if we have something else to say.

Offline b ramsey

• Liked: 15
« Reply #496 on: 06/18/2012 01:42 pm »
With the talk of competition from Florida and Puerto Rico.  Where in Puerto Rico is the site located and the same with this "other" Florida site?

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #497 on: 06/18/2012 07:29 pm »
The Texas site evaluation process, which the other two sites are not yet even started on, is costing SpaceX real money now. SpaceX has to pay for all evaluations that are done. The Texas site is not a ploy but a real site. The launch load of 6 GSO flights per year from Texas and 6 Dragon flights per year from the Cape (2 DragonRider, 3 CRS, and 1 DragonLab) is what is predicted now for year 2015. If the Texas site is not built all 12 flights would fly from the Cape really pushing the envelope for processing of 4 weeks or less from hardware arrival at the pad to launch. At 6 per year there is 8 weeks for processing and room for handling launch slips.

Offline douglas100

« Reply #498 on: 06/18/2012 07:40 pm »
OK, you've convinced me it's not a ploy. Moving all the GSO flights to Texas and keeping the ISS flights at CCAFS makes sense in the context of the restricted launch azimuths from Texas. It also allows them to build a site capable of handling F9H without disturbing the processing flow at SLC-40.
Douglas Clark

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #499 on: 06/18/2012 08:05 pm »
OK, you've convinced me it's not a ploy. Moving all the GSO flights to Texas and keeping the ISS flights at CCAFS makes sense in the context of the restricted launch azimuths from Texas. It also allows them to build a site capable of handling F9H without disturbing the processing flow at SLC-40.
They also said they could reach the ISS, at least, that's as a possibility.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography