Author Topic: What does ESA get for making the service module for Orion?  (Read 691 times)

Offline EnigmaSCADA

• Earth
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 0
Wasn't sure which section this should go in but since my preliminary search involved an ISS related answer I thought this might be the place.

What I've read so far: Providing the service module is in lieu of paying the usual agreed upon fees for being apart of the ISS project. In other words, ESA astronauts will fly on NASA equipment or NASA paid seats on Soyuz to ISS.

Is this correct? It seems like if ESA provides this module, ESA wants/would want seats on exploration missions other than just ISS trips, no? Also, I was under the impression that Orion wasn't really going to be used for ISS, that NASA was going to use commercial crew for that, right? So is the service module deal a barter for ISS missions only or does it include things like lunar orbit or lunar surface missions as well (something I'm doubtful will ever happen with SLS/Orion)?

I don't know how the agreement works but it feels kind of wrong, to me anyway, if it doesn't include seats on lunar missions.

Also, does anyone if there's any progress or news with bringing India into the ISS/international coop paradigm?

Lastly, is there a link to the agreement signed by NASA/ESA regarding the service module deal? Seems like this would be publicly available and easy to find but I can't seem to do it.

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 4307
  • Likes Given: 1333
Wasn't sure which section this should go in but since my preliminary search involved an ISS related answer I thought this might be the place.

What I've read so far: Providing the service module is in lieu of paying the usual agreed upon fees for being apart of the ISS project. In other words, ESA astronauts will fly on NASA equipment or NASA paid seats on Soyuz to ISS.

Is this correct? It seems like if ESA provides this module, ESA wants/would want seats on exploration missions other than just ISS trips, no? Also, I was under the impression that Orion wasn't really going to be used for ISS, that NASA was going to use commercial crew for that, right? So is the service module deal a barter for ISS missions only or does it include things like lunar orbit or lunar surface missions as well (something I'm doubtful will ever happen with SLS/Orion)?

I don't know how the agreement works but it feels kind of wrong, to me anyway, if it doesn't include seats on lunar missions.

Also, does anyone if there's any progress or news with bringing India into the ISS/international coop paradigm?

Lastly, is there a link to the agreement signed by NASA/ESA regarding the service module deal? Seems like this would be publicly available and easy to find but I can't seem to do it.

Starting with your last question: the agreement signed between ESA and NASA, regarding the service module deal, is NOT publically available. Same goes for the previous barter agreement concerning ATV.

The initial barter, with regards to the Orion service module, specifies that ESA develops, tests and delivers one full service module (for EM-1) and parts for a second service module. This covers ESA's continued presence on the ISS between 2017 and 2021, including transportation of ESA astronauts to-and-from the ISS.
This barter agreement is in the process of being altered to adjust for the fact that ESA will now be present on the ISS until 2024. ESA will now supply three (3) full service modules and a full set of flight spares (which can be built into a fourth service module).

ESA in in negotiations with NASA for an additional barter that would apply in the post-ISS era. Under this new barter agreement ESA would continue supplying service modules for the Orion spacecraft. In exchange ESA astronauts will fly on Orion missions.

Tags: