Author Topic: Space Policy read only decision  (Read 21739 times)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Re: Space Policy read only decision
« Reply #40 on: 07/16/2012 12:04 pm »
My main problem with many anti-SLS posts is the nearly Cult-like level of self-fulfilling negative prophecy: "I don't want it, I don't like it - If we all join hands and bash it together kum-by-yah; maybe we can make it go away". If SLS fails to exist and gets cancelled, then let it happen 'organically'. I'd be rather sorry to see it go, but I'd also be pragmatic about it. I'd move on to the 'next best thing' - Falcon Heavy and/or upgraded Delta IV-Heavy and Atlas V, whatever. But it would be sad to never see a really big rocket fly again - as if that reason were actually important. But if SLS had a concrete mission or set of missions - Moon, Mars and Beyond for instance - then there would be less argument for its reason to exist. But in this Presidential election year that has fragile promise for the future of Space Exploration, its better if NASA keeps its head down and its powder dry - Don't draw too much attention to its big plans, lest the Politicians catch an acute case of 'Cancel-itus'.

It would be nice to think we could afford a big rocket that would nonetheless still be cheaper to have than Ares 1 & V combined would have been. But over time I have become more 'Launch Vehicle Agnostic'. It is the Mission/Destination that is important, not the Jalopy that gets you there. The U.S. already has an available stable of fine rocket launchers; you don't need me to list them or remind you that many could be uprated fairly cheaply and simply to be launched in 'salvoes' to assemble a big mission.

But I have no skin in this game: I'm not a U.S. taxpayer or citizen - I'm a second-rate Space Blogger and third-rate Science Fiction writer!! Unlike many other space bloggers on other (mostly) inferior websites, I do not have an inflated opinion of my opinion's importance. As far as the SLS is concerned: Live and let Live. Or Live and Let Die...  :(
« Last Edit: 07/16/2012 01:59 pm by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #41 on: 07/16/2012 12:54 pm »
I'm not against SLS/Orion because I don't like it. I'm against it because I know it will fail.

I worked my tail off for this program for years, while trying to explain why it will fail. There is no control of or even accounting for long-term program costs and no practical goal, commercial, geopolitical, technological, or scientific, that justifies those costs and no willingness to admit how high they are and how little the program can actually accomplish of practical value.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #42 on: 07/16/2012 01:58 pm »
I don't know if you can "know" it will fail - but you just might have a more educated opinion than most. But if it does fail; what then do you replace it with? Careful!! That was mostly a rhetorical question. This thread probably isn't the place for 'my design/philosophy/architecture is better than yours' etcetera.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 07/16/2012 09:35 pm »
Just to note, it's just Space Policy that required the change. Worked for the better by for calming the section down from the Wild Wild West of previous years.

Everything else is managable as it stands.

Got to remember, this is a very busy place, it's the internet and it's an emotional and stressful time for the space program. We should be putting fires out all over the place.

Thankfully we're blessed with an excellent membership to the point troublemakers stick out like a sore thumb and we can deal with them before it impacts on the enjoyment of others.

So right now, we're good.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography