Author Topic: Senate Commerce Committee Executive and Congress Version - July 15 onwards  (Read 710743 times)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
And that's a wrap; markup adjourned.

Offline Chris Bergin

"Everyone feels they've given something, but fairly and for the benefit of this country." - Senator Hutchison.

That's it!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Hutchison thanks Jeff Bingham. She says that he knows more on this than any of us in Washington.   Time for him to ask for a raise...
« Last Edit: 07/15/2010 02:44 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Cog_in_the_machine

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Yay for 51D Mascot :)
^^ Warning! Contains opinions. ^^ 

Offline raketen

"Everyone feels they've given something, but fairly and for the benefit of this country." - Senator Hutchison.

That's it!

Guess the next item is Sen. Nelson's news conference?

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
Senator Hutchison:

"I want to make sure we recognise the staff that worked so hard on the bill. Amazing work. (names and then)... Jeff Bingham who knows this issue more than anyone in this capital." :)

OUTSTANDING!

One person whose posts I seek out and look forward to. An outstanding NSF member!

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Here is what happens next to this bill:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22163.msg614614#msg614614

Curious wording about the timing of submitting to the President.  If it's an authorization bill, that's unlikely to get through Congress and to the President that soon.  There's been reports about mid-month being timing for when the Senate authorizing committee might vote to send a bill to the floor.  If it's not a bill, whatever the plan is would still need to be passed in some form by Congress.

Chalk it up to reporter confusion...Jay knows a lot about space, but not so much about the legislative process. The 15th is the date set for Committee Mark-up of a bill, where it will consider any proposed amendments, then vote to report it to the Senate (or not) as amended. Then it gets in line for consideration by the full Senate, presumably via a unanimous consent procedure, since floor time (for debate, etc.) is VERY limited. Then, of course, there's the issue of House action, either on a Senate-passed bill or a version of their own, followed by, if needed, a joint Senate-House Conference to iron out differences, and acceptance of that outcome by both houses after that, so quite a few steps before being "presented" to the President. (There IS the possibility, as well, that, at some point along the line, the White House/President may engage in discussions/negotiations with the Congress, so it is "possible" that the final language will be "acceptable".) But I can tell you, as of this moment, the final draft language of the bill in question has not been completed.
« Last Edit: 07/15/2010 02:49 pm by yg1968 »

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 3
Does this mean peace can now break out ?  8)
« Last Edit: 07/15/2010 02:49 pm by marsavian »

Does anyone know when we'll see the numbers in the bill?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
Senator Hutchison:

"I want to make sure we recognise the staff that worked so hard on the bill. Amazing work. (names and then)... Jeff Bingham who knows this issue more than anyone in this capital." :)

OUTSTANDING!

One person whose posts I seek out and look forward to. An outstanding NSF member!

SECONDED!!

Nothing short of amazing they got to this point with concensus, and I'm sure we all want to extend our thanks to him for all his help for what I would consider saving HSF, but more particularly: SKILLED JOBS, in the United States.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
Here is what happens next to this bill:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22163.msg614614#msg614614

Curious wording about the timing of submitting to the President.  If it's an authorization bill, that's unlikely to get through Congress and to the President that soon.  There's been reports about mid-month being timing for when the Senate authorizing committee might vote to send a bill to the floor.  If it's not a bill, whatever the plan is would still need to be passed in some form by Congress.

Chalk it up to reporter confusion...Jay knows a lot about space, but not so much about the legislative process. The 15th is the date set for Committee Mark-up of a bill, where it will consider any proposed amendments, then vote to report it to the Senate (or not) as amended. Then it gets in line for consideration by the full Senate, presumably via a unanimous consent procedure, since floor time (for debate, etc.) is VERY limited. Then, of course, there's the issue of House action, either on a Senate-passed bill or a version of their own, followed by, if needed, a joint Senate-House Conference to iron out differences, and acceptance of that outcome by both houses after that, so quite a few steps before being "presented" to the President. (There IS the possibility, as well, that, at some point along the line, the White House/President may engage in discussions/negotiations with the Congress, so it is "possible" that the final language will be "acceptable".) But I can tell you, as of this moment, the final draft language of the bill in question has not been completed.
51D Mascot can provide an inside take, but given Senator Boxer's comments, it doesn't sound like the bill will go the unanimous consent route on the Senate floor.

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406
I just wanted to say that this bill really excites me. I'm a a second-year aerospace student, and I hope to work in the space industry someday, and this seems like it will do good stuff for NASA with the new (possibly SD?) heavy launch vehicle and continued support for commercial space.

To put it another way, this bill has interested me enough in a Congressional hearing that I found this forum while looking for more information. So even if the bill dies, I got one thing out of it by leading me here.

Now, if you'lle excuse me, I have to return to trying to read every thread in the forum archives at once.
« Last Edit: 07/15/2010 02:55 pm by e of pi »

Welcome to the forum e :)

Stick around, many interesting folks frequent this place.

Offline AndrewSTS

• New York
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 14
Sounds hopeful! Has to be a SD HLV, right?

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183

Implicitly, but not explicitly. They require NASA to use as much existing STS and CxP hardware and contracts as possible (including explicitly ET-94), while not doing the engineering for NASA and selecting a specific option.

That said, the real battle between sidemount and inline begins today...

Offline quark

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0

Not exactly.  the language says it should make use of shuttle and constellation assets "to the greatest extent practicable".  It will be up to the administration and NASA to determine the specifics.

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406

It certainly seems like it. Is there any sort of typical thing for new members, someplace to acclimatize? I found the acronym page, but...I guess I'm thinking more of trying to get a feel for the culture of the board. I sort of feel like a kid sitting at the adults table for Thanksgiving for the first time...

It certainly seems like it. Is there any sort of typical thing for new members, someplace to acclimatize? I found the acronym page, but...I guess I'm thinking more of trying to get a feel for the culture of the board. I sort of feel like a kid sitting at the adults table for Thanksgiving for the first time...

There's an introduction thread if you want to check that out - http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=606.0

Offline Chris Bergin

Welcome to the site's forum :)

The Q&A sections: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=36.0 are usually a good place to get your feet wet, but feel free to dive in. There's a lot of experts and people who work with the vehicles here, but don't feel intimidated.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Implicitly, but not explicitly. They require NASA to use as much existing STS and CxP hardware and contracts as possible (including explicitly ET-94), while not doing the engineering for NASA and selecting a specific option.

That said, the real battle between sidemount and inline begins today...

Another trade study maybe.....although technically they've already been there with that.

Will be interesting to follow regardless :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography