Author Topic: NASA Announces Changes to International Space Station Coverage  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
If you have a space program that isn't even covered live daily on your own TV network, does the space program exist?

July 29, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY M16-090
NASA Announces Changes to International Space Station Coverage

In September, NASA will bring its online audience inside the world of human spaceflight as never before, from its Johnson Space Center in Houston -- home to NASA’s astronaut corps, the storied mission control and several human spaceflight programs.

New and unique stories from the International Space Station, Orion spacecraft program, and other human spaceflight projects, will take viewers behind the scenes of the groundbreaking science taking place off the Earth, for the Earth, and the technology NASA is developing to prepare for its journey to Mars. This programming will be available to a worldwide audience on various NASA social media accounts, including YouTube.

NASA Television’s Space Station Live program will be phased out in August and discontinued Sept. 1. However, NASA TV will continue to air live coverage of dynamic space station operations, including launches, dockings, landings, spacewalks and briefings. NASA TV also will continue to air weekly highlights of life onboard station in the short-format Space to Ground program, also available on YouTube and via podcast.

Daily updates on space station research and operations will continue to be posted to the International Space Station blog, as will more detailed daily rundowns of crew activities on the in-orbit status report blog.

Digital audiences also have the option of receiving weekly video highlights by subscribing to Johnson’s news release email list. To receive this weekly highlights email, and other news and updates from Johnson, email [email protected] with “subscribe” in the subject line. Or, check out the hundreds of hours of raw video from the station that is available for download from Johnson’s video collection archive, with additional video added daily.

Keep up with the International Space Station, and its research and crews, online at:

https://www.facebook.com/ISS

http://instagram.com/iss

http://www.twitter.com/Space_Station
« Last Edit: 07/29/2016 11:28 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

How very unfortunate! I looked forward to space station live everyday.  I can remember when it was two hours long then cut to a hour then to 30 minutes then now  no coverage daily.  Space to ground is OK but nothing too in-depth. Hopefully the online coverage is better but not really happy about this

Online dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
If you disagree with NASA's decision to end ISS coverage contact your Senators and Congressman. 
Those who live in Maryland, Florida, Alabama, Texas, and California have the most influence.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8803
  • Likes Given: 7821
so here is the first video newsletter....

Today's Topics:

1. NASA Begins Weekly Service to Release Video from Space
      (JSC News Releases)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:47:51 +0000

Subject: [jsc-news] NASA Begins Weekly Service to Release Video from
    Space

MEDIA ADVISORY J16-008
NASA Begins Weekly Service to Release Video from Space

The NASA weekly video highlights for July 24-30, 2016, features video from the International Space Station of the arrivals of two cargo spacecraft - a Russian Progress and SpaceX's Dragon - as well as a feature about how NASA and Star Trek have inspired each other over the past 50 years.

Grab your favorite production or clips from the video archive at:

http://jscfeatures.jsc.nasa.gov/videoupdate/

Or, have the weekly video highlights link, as well as Johnson Space Center news releases and other information delivered automatically to your e-mail inbox by sending an e-mail message with the subject line "Subscribe" to:

[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston shares hundreds of hours of raw video from the space station and other NASA human spaceflight programs - some of it high- definition video -- and support activities on archive.org<https://archive.org/details/jsc-pao-video-collection> each week. This new weekly video highlights page includes postings that date back to January 2016. Go back to earlier weekly uploads by clicking on the navigation buttons at the bottom of the highlights web page.

Daily written updates about experiments and operations aboard the space station are available in the International Space Station Blog<https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/>, which also provides comprehensive coverage during dynamic events.

Get breaking news, images, videos and features about NASA's Johnson Space Center, the home of Mission Control and the astronauts, at:

http://jsc.nasa.gov

Kelly Humphries
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
« Last Edit: 08/02/2016 04:37 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
If you have a space program that isn't even covered live daily on your own TV network, does the space program exist?

Remember it's still covered live 24/7. This is just the commentary hour which honestly was probably watched by a few dozen people globally on a regular basis.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065

Remember it's still covered live 24/7. This is just the commentary hour which honestly was probably watched by a few dozen people globally on a regular basis.

The outside of the station is covered but not the inside. Hopefully, the live coverage will increase. For example, the opening of the latest Dragon wasn't covered even on a the daily space station live show. 
« Last Edit: 08/02/2016 07:25 pm by yg1968 »

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
I regularly see the inside of the station on the live feed... Note my thread about the ISS Screensaver :)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
I regularly see the inside of the station on the live feed... Note my thread about the ISS Screensaver :)

I was under the impression that a NASA PAO needed to be present in order for them to show the astronauts.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
As I recall someone from PAO had to be there to select a feed when it's internal but I can be certain it's happened outside of the 11am ET block. I don't know the specifics of how that's handled or what sort of events - I have it muted

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
Internal video of the US segment (there is never Russian segment coverage except during crew departures and arrivals) is very inconsistent.  Some days it starts right after the morning DPC.  Other days there is none (except during the daily iSS shows.)  On several occasions, CAPCOM specifically requests permission and it is always granted.  Several US Commanders (including Jeff Williams a few weeks back) have specifically stated "you are welcome on board at anytime (after the DPC) but the ground seems to often come onboard only after specifically granted permission. Jeff made that statement after learning to his surprise that Houston was not already showing internal views.  He thought it was "automatic".  I think the lack of coverage for visiting vehicle openings is more sinister :)  NASA wants to reveal that footage at a time of it's own choosing. 
« Last Edit: 08/03/2016 04:03 am by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72485
Is this a function that NASA could choose to deliver through a contractor service?

If so, there are several NSF contributors that I would refer for the (paid) job(s).

A Thought...
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
They already have people to do it - my guess is that they stopped because it's not watched by (m)any people. So they aren't going to pay to have someone else do it ;)

But on the other hand - there is nothing that would stop anyone you're thinking of from doing this on their own by adding commentary to the existing live feed.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
I don't always watch the ISS coverage live, but I turn on NASA-TV at various times of the day, just as "comfort food" for my TV watching.  (It helps that my cable system carries NASA-TV, so all I have to do is tune to the right channel.)  Most times, I end up watching a replay of the day's live ISS show.  Well, okay -- that's probably because unless it's showing ISS Live or an interesting press conference, I will generally tune back away, because what's left are the NASA Edge things and the even more basic educational programs, aimed at 18-year-olds all the way down to 8-year-olds.

But, if y'all's estimate is that only a dozen people or so ever watched it, then I'm one of those who were watching -- the replays count.

The other eleven of us need to raise our voices!

;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography