Author Topic: Mystery Launch?  (Read 44447 times)

Offline csmjr91090

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mystery Launch?
« Reply #60 on: 11/09/2010 10:13 pm »
Well...here goes ::)
Most civilian radar sites actually track transponders aboard aircraft rather than the reflection from the skin of the plane. I know a lot of you know that. My point is, just because there isnothing on the radar tapes doesn't mean there was nothing there. Now MILITARY radar is another matter. We still haven't heard from them yet.

Last time I checked missiles are still equipped with IFF...

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1414
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #61 on: 11/09/2010 10:20 pm »
BreakingNews.com : Update on mystery plume over Calif.: Defense official tells NBC most likely cause was an airplane, not a missile

Offline Commander Keen

• Liked: 1
« Reply #62 on: 11/09/2010 10:38 pm »
BreakingNews.com : Update on mystery plume over Calif.: Defense official tells NBC most likely cause was an airplane, not a missile

This is a very plausable explanation.  Given there was a low pressure nearby it is not uncommon to get lots of contrails that look a lot like missile exhaust.  I live east of Vandenberg and I see lots of contrails that sometimes look like a rocket exhaust plume but I know it is not.

« Reply #63 on: 11/09/2010 10:43 pm »
For the record, I believe Occam's Razor principle more than my impressions. An unexplained missile of that size with no apparent incident response up to 24 hours later is simply is more incredulous than the contrail explanation. Also, the closing frames show the object in shadow while the lower contrail is still sunlit--our vehicle is low enough even after several minutes of watching to catch shadows of clouds further out, which I don't think would be true of a vehicle well above normal cruising altitude, moving retrograde.
--
Don Day

Offline cozmicray

• Liked: 1
« Reply #64 on: 11/09/2010 10:44 pm »
No one wants to admit that Admiral Nelson left Seaview on FS1 to get
to his condo in Hawaii.  Let alone disclose there really is a USOS Seaview
and it has Flying sub capability.  Atmospheric conditions revealed the
FS-1 launch.   "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" was not just a TV series
but a true project.  The Nelson Institute of Marine Research (NIMR) located in Santa Barbara, California.  The Seaview and her crew's primary task is to probe the mysteries of nature and fight forces that threaten the survival of the United States and the entire world.

Hey best explaination I heard so far????

Offline IXIAN

« Reply #65 on: 11/09/2010 11:13 pm »
There were off-shore earthquakes around this time in the area.
Could a subsurface methyl hydrate strata have exploded in response to the earthquake and somehow focused into an upward, concentrated plume?

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7773
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #66 on: 11/09/2010 11:26 pm »
There were off-shore earthquakes around this time in the area.
Could a subsurface methyl hydrate strata have exploded in response to the earthquake and somehow focused into an upward, concentrated plume?

That was a byproduct of the flying saucer launch.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #67 on: 11/09/2010 11:29 pm »
At least we know it wasn't Elliott Carver and his stealth ship ;)

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 11/09/2010 11:32 pm »
Lots of photos of aircraft contrails here that look a lot like this thing.

http://uncinus.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/4/

What's the simplest explanation?  A secret missile launch?  Methane escaping form the ocean?  A secret military aircraft?  Or a commercial aircraft of the kind the flies over that area all the time?

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras, or unicorns.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #69 on: 11/09/2010 11:41 pm »

It's always possible. But that doesn't explain the black helicopters that fly over my house every time I put my tin foil hat on.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 11/10/2010 01:03 am »
It's always possible. But that doesn't explain the black helicopters that fly over my house every time I put my tin foil hat on.

And now there are reports that a cruise ship had a fire in its engine room in the _same general area_ (give or take a thousand miles).  Coincidence?  I think not!

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #71 on: 11/10/2010 01:18 am »

And now there are reports that a cruise ship had a fire in its engine room in the _same general area_ (give or take a thousand miles).  Coincidence?  I think not!

"... therefore I am not!"  (whereupon Descartes vanishes in a puff of logic)  ;)

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #72 on: 11/10/2010 01:22 am »
Clearly, it was a secret cruise missile test! ;D

Offline DarthPlagueis_TW

• Rocket Ranch
« Reply #73 on: 11/10/2010 01:24 am »
Maybe it was a southern CA rocket club testing one of their latest creations. :-)  I used to know of one who made their own with solid propellant.Very capable of reaching very high altitudes.They were not an official club just some bored aerospace technicians.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #74 on: 11/10/2010 01:26 am »
Aircraft contrail?  What's the flight number?  What's the altitude?  What's the course?  Whats the airspeed?  Does the meteorological data at the time of sighting match the characteristics of the contrail?  Were other aircraft over the west coast producing dense looking contrails?
Already answered: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/USA808/history/20101108/1955Z/PHNL/KPHX

I have a buddy who, when I can get in touch with him, can probably turn the ADS-B data from FlightAware into a Google Earth KML file. Then you can just go into, adjust your "vantage point" in GE, and see a fair approximation of the visual generated from the helicopter's view.

You can already get a kml file off that link
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/USA808/history/20101108/1955Z/PHNL/KPHX/google_earth

US Air #808, Honolulu to Phoenix, 37000 feet, 487KIAS
« Last Edit: 11/10/2010 01:49 am by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

« Reply #75 on: 11/10/2010 01:33 am »
I'm pretty sure this was westward-trending, otherwise the ruse would have been revealed as it went overhead on its way to Phoenix. It was clearly heading into the sunset.
--
Don Day

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #76 on: 11/10/2010 01:35 am »
What ruse? How many west coast launches pass over Phoenix? FA shows it was moving east anyways.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2010 01:36 am by rdale »

« Reply #77 on: 11/10/2010 01:36 am »
Referring to the appearance of being something else, not intentional.

BTW, a piece by James Oberg:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/aviation/mystery-missile-wasnt-a-missile-at-all
--
Don Day

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #78 on: 11/10/2010 01:45 am »
I'm pretty sure this was westward-trending, otherwise the ruse would have been revealed as it went overhead on its way to Phoenix. It was clearly heading into the sunset.

No, it is a east bound plane

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #79 on: 11/10/2010 01:46 am »
So you're believing a camera-wielding traffic reporter over people who have seen launches?  What if shortly after the end of the tape it the object disappeared into Earth's shadow and that part of the tape didn't make the newscast since that would have made it a lot less exciting?

Why isn't it pitched over and heading rapidly toward the horizon, and getting brighter since it's moving toward solar noon?

Don't ascribe to conspiracy that which can be described to ratings ploy.  (At least without multiple data points).
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography