Author Topic: SpaceX Manifest Updates and Discussion Thread 4  (Read 417125 times)

Offline rocx

• NL
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 144
Re: SpaceX Manifest Updates and Discussion Thread 4
« Reply #100 on: 05/24/2016 07:34 pm »
From the Falcon Heavy thread:
Our guy at the Space Tech Expo says the SpaceX person there is saying they are still hopeful to debut Falcon Heavy this year (NET December). We'll write up direct quotes that come back.

2016-12     FHeavy                   Falcon Heavy Demo Flight               LC39A
Any day with a rocket landing is a fantastic day.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #101 on: 05/27/2016 01:50 pm »
Tweet from Sara Seager
Looks like we’ll be spending Xmas 2017 at Cape Canaveral. New TESS launch date “no earlier than 20 December, 2017”

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #102 on: 05/28/2016 03:22 pm »
Thaicom-8 needs some green!
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Senex

• Turtle Island
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #103 on: 05/31/2016 02:36 am »
I want to express my appreciation for your project.  I find it useful to have the manifest easily accessible.

If I could make a suggestion . . . Several times I have found myself wanting to relate the listed flights back to earlier ones.  While I recognize that the list started as a collation of what could be guessed about what was coming up, it is increasingly becoming useful as a record of past flights as well.

I would weigh in on extending the list back in time to cover previous F9 flights.  Perhaps all.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #104 on: 05/31/2016 03:18 am »
I want to express my appreciation for your project.  I find it useful to have the manifest easily accessible.

If I could make a suggestion . . . Several times I have found myself wanting to relate the listed flights back to earlier ones.  While I recognize that the list started as a collation of what could be guessed about what was coming up, it is increasingly becoming useful as a record of past flights as well.

I would weigh in on extending the list back in time to cover previous F9 flights.  Perhaps all.

Thanks again for your hard work.
There is a thread called "The SpaceX Scrubs Thread" in the SpaceX General section that serves this function.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Shanuson

• Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 2542
« Reply #105 on: 05/31/2016 07:09 am »
<...>
There is a thread called "The SpaceX Scrubs Thread" in the SpaceX General section that serves this function.
Could we add the link of that post (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36507.0) to the head of the first post here? Something like:
List of past launches can be found here!

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #106 on: 05/31/2016 10:03 am »
Question: If all goes well and the twin SEP comsats fly around the second full week of June '16, could SpaceX fit in another flight before the schedule window opens for SpX-CRS-9 in mid-July?

Maybe a DragonLab cumulative payload, in other words, every experiment that is ready can can fly on reasonably short notice, in a recycled CRS Dragon flying on the CRS-8 core. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting an ad-hoc flight; I think that's currently impossible (although I can see Musk wanting to work towards something like that). What I'm wondering is if something like this was the re-flight test that Musk stated that they were aiming to fly in this general time-frame.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #107 on: 05/31/2016 12:20 pm »
Question: If all goes well and the twin SEP comsats fly around the second full week of June '16, could SpaceX fit in another flight before the schedule window opens for SpX-CRS-9 in mid-July?

Maybe a DragonLab cumulative payload, in other words, every experiment that is ready can can fly on reasonably short notice, in a recycled CRS Dragon flying on the CRS-8 core. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting an ad-hoc flight; I think that's currently impossible (although I can see Musk wanting to work towards something like that). What I'm wondering is if something like this was the re-flight test that Musk stated that they were aiming to fly in this general time-frame.

The reuse flight is no longer in this timeframe, there is still no indication that a DragonLab mission will ever fly, and what you're suggesting is most certainly an ad-hoc flight. 

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #108 on: 06/02/2016 02:52 pm »
Latest updates on Spaceflight Now launch schedule are EutelSat/ABS to June 14 10:32 local and Amos-6 postponed until September.  Possibility now that SpaceX will only have 7 launches through end of July, which would make the schedule for the rest of the year very interesting.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #109 on: 06/02/2016 10:35 pm »
Latest updates on Spaceflight Now launch schedule are EutelSat/ABS to June 14 10:32 local and Amos-6 postponed until September.  Possibility now that SpaceX will only have 7 launches through end of July, which would make the schedule for the rest of the year very interesting.

That Spaceflightnow listing says that the Eutelsat/ABS launch has been moved UP by two days from the 6/16 date at the top of this thread.
(That could give me a chance to be there and see the launch!)
Is there any corroboration or refutation?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
« Reply #110 on: 06/03/2016 02:29 am »
Delta IV Heavy is scheduled for June 9th... Seems maybe a little tight, especially if it slips.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #111 on: 06/03/2016 04:07 am »
Delta IV Heavy is scheduled for June 9th... Seems maybe a little tight, especially if it slips.

At times when SpaceX manages two flights a month from the cape, you're not going to do much better than 5-7 days between SpaceX and someone else's flight.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #112 on: 06/03/2016 09:21 am »

I believe that the Eastern Range needs two days to recycle from a full launch, so anything over that is theoretically trivial. This is especially the case when you have launches from different pads and one of the launch providers is ULA.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #113 on: 06/03/2016 08:58 pm »
SpaceX Tweet
Next launch targeting June 14 from Cape Canaveral – 45 minute launch window opens at 10:32am ET, 2:32pm UTC
Image of birds: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkDcGNMUkAAMAZx.jpg:orig

Next launch is now 14 not 16 June, per SpaceX tweet..
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #114 on: 06/04/2016 12:25 am »
Seems like the move forward of Eutelsat/Abs could be an indication of another launch between this one and CRS-9 (especially if CRS-9 moves to the left some).

Is there any indication of what the next launch would be? Are there any birds that could be moved up?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #115 on: 06/04/2016 01:12 am »
Seems like the move forward of Eutelsat/Abs could be an indication of another launch between this one and CRS-9 (especially if CRS-9 moves to the left some).

Is there any indication of what the next launch would be? Are there any birds that could be moved up?

I haven't seen an indication of anything that could launch before CRS-9.  I think it's unlikely anything launches before then.

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #116 on: 06/04/2016 01:25 am »
Moving a launch two days up has a value by itself, regardless of other launches. Is there a precedent to this?
« Last Edit: 06/04/2016 01:26 am by mfck »

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #117 on: 06/04/2016 02:48 pm »
I'm hoping we are going to see a steady stream of cores make it to the Cape and Vandenberg in June, so that maybe we'll get 4 to 6 launches in the July/August time frame.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #118 on: 06/04/2016 03:02 pm »

Unless AMOS or JCSAT are at the the launch site already, I don't think they will be getting anything else off before CRS-9. I don't think it will impact the manifest all that much either as the current manifest only has ~6 launches at LC40 for the year left. As long as LC39 comes online, the manifest for the year remains very doable.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #119 on: 06/05/2016 01:04 pm »

I haven't seen an indication of anything that could launch before CRS-9.  I think it's unlikely anything launches before then.

CRS-9 is being delayed, but haven't heard duration.  There is a big opening in the schedule, but is there a core and payload to fill it?
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 02:25 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography