Author Topic: STS-128 Discovery: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 60315 times)

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Tickets for the STS-128 launch go on sale tomorrow at 9am!
I would go but it is the night of my first day back at school so I can't. (Hoping for STS-130) :)

Tickets for the visitor center are already on sale!
http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/space-shuttle-launch-viewing-tickets.aspx?ic_campID=4&ic_pkw=GH_128LaunchTickets_FL_July09
« Last Edit: 08/06/2009 07:09 pm by Spaceboy7441 »
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: STS-128 Discovery: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2009 07:02 pm »
Lets have a show of hands for those going - I'm one. Perhaps another NSF get together?

It's all in the data.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2009 07:08 pm »
I'm hoping to go *fingers crossed* as long as I can get tickets through KSC, though I feel dumb trying to plan a trip down all the way from MI and for under a certain budget... geez I feel like NASA, big plans, little budget. If only I lived closer.

Thankfully classes don't start for me until Sept. 9th so I do have some leeway.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Davidgojr

• Lead & Producer PROJECT SOAR
  • Texas
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2009 09:15 pm »
I will be going!  I just got my congressional VIP invitation in the mail this afternoon.  I can't wait to view and record the launch!  I hope we get a firm launch date locked down shortly so I can purchase flight tickets at a good rate.

Offline UprightCitizen

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2009 09:33 pm »
I will be going!  I just got my congressional VIP invitation in the mail this afternoon.  I can't wait to view and record the launch!  I hope we get a firm launch date locked down shortly so I can purchase flight tickets at a good rate.

I was also curious how people received these. How did you get yours?

Offline aldelphi

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2009 09:54 pm »

Do the causeway launch viewing tickets sell out almost immediately?

I was wondering if there are any tricks people know of to help the chances of getting a tcket?  Is there a way to fill in the form before 9am on Friday?  I don't seem to be able to see any order form on the Kennedy Launch Ticket web page.

How soon should one write their representative to get VIP tickets?

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2009 09:56 pm »
Yes, they sell out within minutes.

Get on before 9 AM tomorrow and try as fast as you can.

I'd write my representative now.  Not much time left to wait, if it's not too late already.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline smith5se

« Reply #7 on: 08/06/2009 10:42 pm »
How soon should one write their representative to get VIP tickets?

To write your rep to get these tickets, do you have to be somebody or can it be just anyone? And why didn't I know about this sooner...

@aldelphi I was told to have all your information saved in a word document so you can just cut and past credit card, address, etc. information (much quicker) because you are given a time limit to fill out the form and it's not much time.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/2009 11:20 pm »
From what others have written, you just write the rep for your Congressional district.  I tried for STS-128 and he didn't get back to me...although that's OK, as the slips in the launch date mean I wouldn't be able to go anyway.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #9 on: 08/07/2009 12:12 am »
If anyone is interested in an NSF get-together THE DAY BEFORE liftoff, send me a PM.  Remember, the launch date is still up in the air so I will firm up plans once we have a better idea of the launch date they'll target.

*NOTE: In your PM, include your real name, a phone number with which I can contact you when you're here in Florida, and the number of people who will be in your party at the dinner.*

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 08/07/2009 12:13 am by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #10 on: 08/07/2009 01:37 am »
My tickets for STS 127 came from a board member who could not go back in July, so I am not speaking from experience, but wanted to relate what I have read about the ticket sale:

They go very fast

Your order isn't placed until it is accepted - type fast - some have complained about taking too long and not getting tickets.

Some have also said that the tickets that include a meal with an astronaut last slightly longer.

Good luck to all - wish I could come back again but 127 tapped out this year's vacation budget - 9 nights and 2 trips!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: 08/07/2009 03:21 am »
I managed to get tickets a couple of times in the past by entering my info on the KSC visitor center web site in right on the dot at 9 AM and it worked for me. I hope you all have good luck with that.

I was able to get a viewing pass from another source this time so I am looking forward to that. When I was not sure if this would work out though, I emailed the staff member at my senator's office who helped me get causeway tickets in the past. This was just a few days ago and she responded that I could get on a waiting list if I wanted to do that. So some passes might still be available for those exploring that option.

I sure hope to meet some of you down there, if they ever set a firm target date. Planning for this has been very difficult. I guess I'd better try for refundable plane tickets, even if it costs a lot more. I would not be disappointed if they pushed it back to 8/26 because I also very much want to go to the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson KS for the 25th anniversary of flight 41D with Steve Hawley, Mike Mullane and the rest of their crew. It was the first flight of Discovery and the first launch I ever saw. I think it would be a great event to attend but if 128 aims for liftoff on the 23rd or 24th it will probably be impossible for me to do both trips.

Hopefully things will come together and we will all see an on time launch once the date is set.

Offline boostincoyote

• Miami
« Reply #12 on: 08/07/2009 11:59 am »
There like a bear in underwear. Class starts on Monday for me but who cares its a night launch its gonna be sick, I think I can make it back to Miami by 11am when class starts.  And luckily my CCAFS badge expires on Sep.1 im gonna try and get next to LCC like I did for STS-127

Offline smith5se

« Reply #13 on: 08/07/2009 05:05 pm »
Got my tickets this morning at 9:01, now I sit and wait... so far it's proved to be a fun roller coaster ride. Hopefully it'll go as smooth as it did for me during STS-125.

Offline Davidgojr

• Lead & Producer PROJECT SOAR
  • Texas
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: 08/07/2009 06:11 pm »

I was also curious how people received these. How did you get yours?

I had met in person with a few of my US senator's staff discussing a project I was working on some time ago.  I remember reading that NASA congressional VIP passes could be requested and I gave them a call one day and asked about it.  They told me it was the first request they had received but they began looking in to it.  They informed me that they had gotten into contact with the NASA point of contact and could try to get some passes for me and a few others.  They told me to give them several months prior to the launch in order for the best chance of success.

I asked the senator's office to see if they could get passes to view STS128 about two months ago.  It was then a waiting game to see if it would work out and I just got the formal NASA invitation of the office of the administrator yesterday.  I'm very excited and looking forward to the launch!
« Last Edit: 08/07/2009 06:14 pm by Davidgojr »

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: 08/07/2009 06:14 pm »
Got my tickets this morning at 9:01, now I sit and wait... so far it's proved to be a fun roller coaster ride. Hopefully it'll go as smooth as it did for me during STS-125.

So glad to hear you got in. This latest news about a potential major delay is frustrating, but obviously we want the crew and vehicle to be as safe as possible. Chris's article says meetings are ongoing through today so I hope perhaps there will be some resolution one way or the other soon. It would be unfortunate if they have to roll back after all the difficulties encountered with the roll out just a few days ago.

I am still sort of in limbo as I don't know how to arrange travel plans. The launch date for 128 will decide whether or not I can make it to the Kansas Cosmosphere for the 41D 25th reunion. I hope something works out.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #16 on: 08/07/2009 06:22 pm »

So glad to hear you got in. This latest news about a potential major delay is frustrating, but obviously we want the crew and vehicle to be as safe as possible. Chris's article says meetings are ongoing through today so I hope perhaps there will be some resolution one way or the other soon. It would be unfortunate if they have to roll back after all the difficulties encountered with the roll out just a few days ago.

I am still sort of in limbo as I don't know how to arrange travel plans. The launch date for 128 will decide whether or not I can make it to the Kansas Cosmosphere for the 41D 25th reunion. I hope something works out.

Thanks, I was quite impressed with how fast they really went (under 3 minutes). I had a world clock ticking on my computer for a countdown, and right at 9 hit the buy button. Though I think next time I want to go I may try the senator approach, waking up to massive stress/pressure to get tickets first thing in the morning is not something I like LOL

As for the rollback, IF it happens I'll just look at it as a belated birthday present from NASA (at least I have my tickets). There is no way it could launch Sept. 8th though is there? No correct, because other agencies will be accessing the ISS at that time?

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #17 on: 08/08/2009 12:00 am »
For those who commented about airfare and changes.  I made my reservations on Southwest - they fly to Orlando.  Southwest does not charge change fees - you just have to pay the net change in airfare when you rebook.  I rebooked twice.  Started out at $130 round trip and ended up at around $200 roundtrip.  If you end up cancelling, you have a year to use your credit.

I wouldn't fly down for a launch any other way.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #18 on: 08/08/2009 12:42 am »

There is no way it could launch Sept. 8th though is there? No correct, because other agencies will be accessing the ISS at that time?

No.  The Japanese HTV is scheduled to launch on September 10 and requires the same CBM that Discovery's payload (MPLM Leonardo) will be berthed to.

Offline Robwi

• Sweden
« Reply #19 on: 08/09/2009 10:56 am »
I was prepared at 9.00 am (hitting that refresh button on my browser) to buy a ticket to NASA Causeway, but it sold while I was typing in my order... Anyway, I got a ticket from Grayline/Gator tours to watch the launch from NASA Causeway. Have anyone here done that tour with them before?

Now we just have to hope that the launch will occur on time.

Is anyone here in the forums from Sweden, and will travel to watch the launch?

Cheers,

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography