Author Topic: Copenhagen Suborbitals - BPM5 motor test  (Read 12701 times)

Offline braendstrup

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Copenhagen Suborbitals - BPM5 motor test
« on: 05/16/2015 09:36 am »
I'm starting a new thread as the 2X rocket and it's associated motor is discontinued, and a new design philosofy has been adopted.
The BPM5 (Bi-Propellant Motor 5 kN) has now been hot fire tested, after a couple of months delay due to manufacturing issues.
The BPM5 is a test motor, developed in order to learn more about designing bi-propellant motors and aid CS in the development of the BPM100 motor, the large 100 kN motor meant to lift the Spica rocket above the Karmann line.
The tests went well and data seems to indicate that the design values are met throughout.
Three tests were performed, a short 7 second burn and after a successful first test, two 20 second burns.
Next test is planned to take place May 30-31.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Re: Copenhagen Suborbitals - BPM5 motor test
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2015 06:31 pm »
015 07 26 BPM-5 Static Test no. 3 - Atmosphere Video

Published on Aug 9, 2015
26. of July 2015 Copenhagen Suborbitals tested their BPM5 rocket booster for the third time.

Four static tests were performed during one single day (with one abort). The BPM5 booster survived the three tests, and will undergo further tests in the near future. (2015-07-31)

In this video you get to experience the splendor of these three amazing BPM5 static test burns.

You will get to see the three static tests in a video collage of videos from up to teen camera angles.

Also included are interviews with Jacob Skov Larsen and Jonas Bækby Bjarnø, two key members of Copenhagen Suborbitals.

In addition to this video, we have released a Technical Video with material from the same test day. That video contains all camera recordings including High Speed footage in full length.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2 on: 08/09/2015 06:32 pm »
technical video as mentioned above:

2015 07 26 BPM5 Statisk Test 3

Published on Jul 30, 2015
This is the full technical video of the third static test of the BPM-5 rocket engine. The video shows all 3 burns performed on Sunday July 26 2015. (Burn #2 was aborted)

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #3 on: 01/23/2016 07:56 pm »
Pressurizing standard piping for the BPM5 rocket engine.

Published on Jan 23, 2016
Copenhagen Suborbitals have begun pressure forming of standard sized tubes in 6 m lenght to use with the BPM-5 rocket engine. The BPM-5 was not designed to use standard sized piping. In hindsight this was a mistake, since welding these specialized tubes for the BPM-5 by our supplier is quite cumbersome and time consuming. We therefore decided to try hydro forming standard sized piping instead so it can be used for the BPM-5. We are using about 85 bars of water pressure to go from the standard size of 108 mm (outer tube) to 112,3 mm and 101,6 to a 104,5 mm (inner tube). So far it has been a great success. The hydro forming extended the size and the deformation hardened the tubing. The average size increased within 0,5 mm over 6 mm lenght.
Now the tubes have been cut to length and are ready to go to metal forming.

Copenhagen Suborbitals is a non profit open project that aims to build a rocket and put a man into space (above the Karmann Line, 100 km).

Please support our project at www.copsub.com and also check out our other videos on this channel.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2016 04:39 am »
BPM-5 version 2

Published on Mar 6, 2016
Follow Jacob Skov Larsen as he describes the changes in the new version of the BPM-5 rocket engine. This is the engine that will power the Nexø range of rockets.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #5 on: 03/07/2016 09:17 pm »
Silver soldering the BPM-5 v 2 engine

Published on Mar 7, 2016
This is the next step in the production of the BPM-2 version 2 engine. In the previous video Jacob Skov Larsen talked about the welding. Now we move on to the silver soldering of the copper spacers to the inner liner.

« Last Edit: 03/07/2016 09:19 pm by catdlr »

Offline braendstrup

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 05/23/2016 11:18 am »
Copenhagen Suborbitals performed six BPM5 motor tests on Saturday May 21.
The first 5 tests was performed to establish how the motor performs with different O/F ratios and different chamber pressures. The recent addition of flow meters in the test setup has made this possible.
The last test was a qualification burn with the Nexø 1 flight engine.
Unfortunately the live stream servers was not able to withstand the acoustic pressure from the motor, and the servers shut down at T=0 for the first 5 tests. They did however manage to stay alive during the last test of the day. You can view the last burn from 3.43.40 onwards in the cached video stream.
An edited video showing all 6 burns is forthcoming.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #7 on: 05/23/2016 10:39 pm »
Teaser Burn 1

Copenhagen Suborbitals

Published on May 23, 2016
A little sneak peek from the upcoming video covering this weekends static engine tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5NsIYeL4-Q?=t001

« Last Edit: 05/23/2016 10:41 pm by catdlr »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #8 on: 05/27/2016 03:25 am »
The 4th. static test of the BPM-5 bipropellant rocket engine.

Copenhagen Suborbitals

Published on May 26, 2016
The 4th. static test of BPM-5 bipropellant rocket engine, by Copenhagen Suborbitals. 2016-05-21.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #9 on: 10/30/2016 07:36 pm »
BPM5 Gimbal Engine Tests

Copenhagen Suborbitals

Streamed live Oct 30, 2016
Today we are testing the gimbal for the BPM-5 rocket engine.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #10 on: 10/30/2016 10:33 pm »
Gimbal test

Copenhagen Suborbitals

Published on Oct 30, 2016
Video from our first gimbal test. Engine is running at around 5 kN thrust.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #11 on: 11/29/2016 04:17 am »
35 second BPM5 burn

Copenhagen Suborbitals

Published on Nov 28, 2016
On October 10th 2016 we put our BPM5 engine through the longest burn to date. In 35 seconds it provided a total impulse of 180.000 Ns.
On the data overlay pressures are given in bar, temperatures in degrees centigrade and thrust in newton.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography