Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 879625 times)

Offline Fuji

• Japan
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #1020 on: 06/11/2009 01:28 am »
are the EF payloads designed to be transfered through the JEM-PS airlock??

No.
EF ORUs and JEM Small Fine Arm are compatible design with JEM-PM airlock.

is there a special reason the three EF payloads flying in STS-127 are flying in the JEM-ELM and not in a future HTV mission??

The simplest answer is simply that NASA has agreed to launch them on the shuttle.

More specifically, and IANAE, my understanding is that one of the JLE payloads (the ICS-EF) needs to be on-orbit before the HTV can be berthed. I believe it handles communication between the ISS and the HTV.

The simplest answer is correct.

ICS-EF is not used HTV operations, directly.
HTV Proximity ops. will use another communication link (Proximity Communication System: PROX). It's already installed JPM.

Offline Danny Dot

• Rocket Scientist, NOT Retired
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1021 on: 06/17/2009 09:31 pm »
Is there any plan in place to put a human through a simulated mission to Mars and measure post landing performance?

Danny Deger
Danny Deger

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1022 on: 06/17/2009 10:15 pm »
I don't think you can. You can simulate the outbound trip, but Mars is 0.38g so how do you simulate that on Earth? The only way I could imaging is a variation of the bed rest studies for the surface duration, or do the outbound leg on the ISS, 190 days on earth (0.38 of the predicted 500 sol mars surface stay) and the return leg on the ISS.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #1023 on: 06/17/2009 10:57 pm »
Vomit comets.  I don't know if the Centrifuge Accommodation Module was designed to spin at less than 1g, but it was canceled any way.

Edit due to bob's below: I had it in my head, but didn't say that it would have to be small animals or microbes in a Mars-g CAM.
« Last Edit: 06/17/2009 11:05 pm by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #1024 on: 06/17/2009 11:02 pm »
The CAM rotor (the actual centrifuge) only ever held the Life Sciences Box. The bulk of the module was a static storage volume.

Offline Suzy

• Melbourne, Australia
    • RuSpace - my Russian spaceflight website!
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 187
« Reply #1025 on: 06/18/2009 03:14 am »
The water supply in the Russian segment uses silver ions to purify it. Is this the same as colloidal silver, overuse of which can turn a person's skin blue? (I read about that condition recently, so I'm just curious!)

Offline YesRushGen

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1026 on: 06/18/2009 01:35 pm »
I don't think you can. You can simulate the outbound trip, but Mars is 0.38g so how do you simulate that on Earth?

Hmmm....

Being that Helium pocesses "lifting power" when contained, I wonder if it could be made practical to contain enough Helium to remove 62% of a person's weight.

According to http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99471.htm you need about 163 grams of helium to lift 1 kg of mass. Other sources show about 440L (at 20C) to lift 1 lb.

For a 200lb human, we'd need to remove 124lbs... Works out to 54,560L of helium. Yikes. That's almost 55 m^3. Add even more to remove the weight of the containing device itself.

Any practicality at all???

Kelly

Offline Spacenick

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1027 on: 06/18/2009 03:57 pm »
But thats not the same,with it walking and jumping might feel quite like on mars ,at least unless your balloon is small enough or your not jumping high enough to make it act like a drag chute (which is quite problematic in itself). A team at the local university build a ballon with such properties for a festifal a few years back and they could jump from the top of a high building without any problem due to drag.
The other thing is that a balloon doesn't remove gravity from  your organs and thats what we really care about/ We don't care so much about walking in 0.38g but we care about what your blodd circulation and your organs feel aboiut 0.38g
Building such a balloon is no problem but its nowhere near simulation low g
« Last Edit: 06/18/2009 03:58 pm by Spacenick »

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #1028 on: 06/19/2009 12:17 am »
A while ago there was talk of building new mini CMGs to replace the current units. Three minis would replace each full size unit, and would be small enough to be launched as pressurised cargo (PMA/Quest AL hatch limits).

Has this progressed any further.

Offline YesRushGen

« Reply #1029 on: 06/19/2009 12:26 pm »
The other thing is that a balloon doesn't remove gravity from  your organs and thats what we really care about/ We don't care so much about walking in 0.38g but we care about what your blodd circulation and your organs feel aboiut 0.38g

Ah-ha... I had not considered that aspect, which is clearly very important.

cheers!

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #1030 on: 06/20/2009 11:16 pm »
A while ago there was talk of building new mini CMGs to replace the current units. Three minis would replace each full size unit, and would be small enough to be launched as pressurised cargo (PMA/Quest AL hatch limits).

No.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #1031 on: 06/20/2009 11:18 pm »
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-104/lores/jsc2001e19791.jpg

If the problem is with the crew lock (small diameter section), they can depress the equipment lock (large diameter section) and complete ingress there.

The equipment lock is fully equipped to handle EVAs. It has all the same umbilical hookups as the crew lock and the equipment can handle repeated depress/repress cycles.

If there is a orbiter docked, they can ingress through the orbiter airlock, though that takes more work. The shuttle crew will have to return to the shuttle, close hatches between orbiter/ISS, leak checks, depress shuttle lock, ingress, repress shuttle lock, re-open hatches.

I think Pirs also has some ability to support contingency ingress by US EMUs but I don't know the degree of that ability.

There would be no radio or cooling ingressing via Pirs I believe.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #1032 on: 06/21/2009 12:27 am »

No.

Out of interest, how far along the path did it get; was it just an idea someone flaoted that got relayed to a journalist (Coppinger, I think) or did some in depth engineering find it unworkable?
« Last Edit: 06/21/2009 12:33 am by bobthemonkey »

Offline C5C6

• Regular
  • Córdoba - Argentina
    • programaespacial.com
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1033 on: 06/24/2009 12:21 pm »
should we expect brighter ISS sights from earth as the beta angle rises??? I'm looking forward for the brightest-ever (-3.4) pass I've ever seen!!
« Last Edit: 06/24/2009 12:22 pm by C5C6 »

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1034 on: 06/24/2009 06:34 pm »
Does the ISS use the RMS Situational Awareness Display (RSAD), tested during STS-85, to maneuver loads out of direct view of the SSRMS operator, or is it another system?  If it is diferent, was it derived from RSAD?
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #1035 on: 06/24/2009 07:30 pm »
Does the ISS use the RMS Situational Awareness Display (RSAD), tested during STS-85, to maneuver loads out of direct view of the SSRMS operator, or is it another system?  If it is diferent, was it derived from RSAD?

ISS uses DOUG (Dynamic Onboard Ubiquitous Graphics) rather than RSAD. I think some of the information displayed on RSAD is already available on the ISS robotics workstation anyway.
JRF

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Norfolk, VA
« Reply #1036 on: 06/24/2009 07:53 pm »

ISS uses DOUG (Dynamic Onboard Ubiquitous Graphics) rather than RSAD. I think some of the information displayed on RSAD is already available on the ISS robotics workstation anyway.

Okay, so I guess my next question would be is DOUG derived from RSAD, or was it developed independently? 

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #1037 on: 06/24/2009 08:15 pm »

Okay, so I guess my next question would be is DOUG derived from RSAD, or was it developed independently? 

Independently. DOUG can also be used with the shuttle RMS.
JRF

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #1038 on: 06/25/2009 11:51 pm »
Has there ever been mention of a Expedition crew member to two staying on ISS for a year? 

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Norfolk, VA
« Reply #1039 on: 06/26/2009 01:27 pm »
Please allow me to re-phrase my previous question.  Are both ACVS and RSAD still in use, and if so, in what capacity?  If not, what replaced them?  And was ACVS used during missions 2A-6A as planned?

ETA: Same questions re: OSVS (Orbiter Space Vision System)
« Last Edit: 06/26/2009 02:02 pm by NavySpaceFan »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography