Author Topic: STS-134 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, landing etc.)  (Read 556894 times)

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-134 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #40 on: 07/02/2010 07:46 pm »
Anyone else inquire for congressional tickets?  just got a call back from my Sen. today to get my info.

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 07/07/2010 09:36 pm »
Checked and the hotels in the area have already jacked up their prices 500% or so.  Hoping for a small shift in NET to snag a cheap room

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #42 on: 07/20/2010 12:09 am »
I'm curious to wonder as a lot of people will be viewing this launch on Television.. it being a weekend afternoon launch.. what kind of news coverage does anyone suspect possible for this last shuttle launch? Baring any major news events that day.

Orbiter
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline beef5stew

« Reply #43 on: 07/20/2010 01:43 pm »
Just got an email from my senator asking if I can make the Feb. date and confirming names and addresses.

We called back the senator to ask if we are are "in".  She called Nasa and confirmed that we are on the guest list for 134.  Yay.  We put our request in almost 2 years ago when a friend of mine said that the last launch would be for Nasa and Govt. officials only.

Sooooo...a)totally excited about this; b)anyone know if it's possible to request banana creek viewing?  I heard it's the best.

Offline beef5stew

« Reply #44 on: 07/27/2010 02:47 pm »
Update: Looks like we aren't "in"...just in the "possibility" queue.  Apparently, the Congressional ticets will be given out after all the VIPs are assigned.  SO it's a "whatevers left" situation.  Too vague to make any  travel plans yet.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #45 on: 07/29/2010 05:41 pm »
Well, for better or worse, I've book a 9 day stay at the Clarion Inn Port Canaveral from Feb 23-Mar 2

Let's hope all goes well for launching on time!
JOY  :)

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
« Reply #46 on: 07/30/2010 02:57 pm »
Well, for better or worse, I've book a 9 day stay at the Clarion Inn Port Canaveral from Feb 23-Mar 2

Still decent rates around that area.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #47 on: 07/30/2010 08:19 pm »

Yeah, that was an eye-opener.

If anyone wants to see this flight, BOOK HOTEL ROOMS NOW!

I wanted something by the beach, but at $215 US/night...I don't think so. Some places are already booked solid for the launch day.

If they move the launch up or down, I'll try for something better, but being along the highway isn't so bad anyway. Will be going all around again, especially Orlando to shop. Love my Tommy Bahama gear :)

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #48 on: 07/30/2010 08:25 pm »

I was about to say that I thought the Clarion shut down (or would be shut down before 2011), but I see you mention Port Canaveral, not the KSC location (which I believe is closed down).

We're hoping to be there as well--staying in Orlando if the congressional passes materialize...

Yeah, that was an eye-opener.

If anyone wants to see this flight, BOOK HOTEL ROOMS NOW!

I wanted something by the beach, but at $215 US/night...I don't think so. Some places are already booked solid for the launch day.

If they move the launch up or down, I'll try for something better, but being along the highway isn't so bad anyway. Will be going all around again, especially Orlando to shop. Love my Tommy Bahama gear :)

Offline ShuttleShel

« Reply #49 on: 08/17/2010 08:46 pm »
Update: Looks like we aren't "in"...just in the "possibility" queue.  Apparently, the Congressional ticets will be given out after all the VIPs are assigned.  SO it's a "whatevers left" situation.  Too vague to make any  travel plans yet.

Our senator put us on the list last January when it was the 2nd to the last launch. Last time I emailed with them (after it was switched to last) I was told that I am on the list and it would be handled like any other launch. I wonder about that though!  Was told it is first come, first serve and I have a good chance since I got on the list so early. Won't be able to tell me definitely until app. 1 month before the launch.

I have made my hotel reservations and I will plan to go even if I don't make the cut. I will also try KSC ticket sales and if all else fails try and see it as close as I can get. It's the last chance to fulfill this dream you know!!

Does anyone know how the scrub schedule would work if it couldn't be launched on 2/26? How many days after 2/26 should I plan to stay in the area? Right now I am scheduled to return to Nebraska on 3/5 which is a week after the launch date. Thanks!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #50 on: 08/17/2010 10:55 pm »

Does anyone know how the scrub schedule would work if it couldn't be launched on 2/26? How many days after 2/26 should I plan to stay in the area? Right now I am scheduled to return to Nebraska on 3/5 which is a week after the launch date. Thanks!

Welcome to the site's forum. Looking at the latest all-launch (to ISS) manifest on L2, it looks like a good long window. The Beta Angle cutout gets refined, but that's not an issue until April. Dual Docked Operations (DDO) constraint - if it remains a constraint - isn't close enough to short term issue.

We'll get a solid window via the upcoming PRCB baseline and FRR presentations (L2 - but we make news articles out of them), but for STS-134 it's a while off for that mission yet. I've taken a clipped snapshot of what I was talking about above.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #51 on: 08/18/2010 12:05 am »

Welcome to the site's forum. Looking at the latest all-launch (to ISS) manifest on L2, it looks like a good long window. The Beta Angle cutout gets refined, but that's not an issue until April. Dual Docked Operations (DDO) constraint - if it remains a constraint - isn't close enough to short term issue.

We'll get a solid window via the upcoming PRCB baseline and FRR presentations (L2 - but we make news articles out of them), but for STS-134 it's a while off for that mission yet. I've taken a clipped snapshot of what I was talking about above.

word of 'caution' though...

If STS-133 gets delayed for some reason, it might have to get pushed into Feb (I think it was Feb 2 IIRC, as noted by Chris G somewhere...). So that could push STS-134 further out, perhaps March?.

Offline ShuttleShel

« Reply #52 on: 08/18/2010 01:09 am »

If STS-133 gets delayed for some reason, it might have to get pushed into Feb (I think it was Feb 2 IIRC, as noted by Chris G somewhere...). So that could push STS-134 further out, perhaps March?.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh I know to be ready for delays. I booked hotel but I won't do airfare until much, much closer.  I was just curious how long after the initial launch date (2/26) I should give myself in case of scrubs for weather and stuff that may delay it a day or so. Wondering if a week is good enough?

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #53 on: 08/19/2010 09:45 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

Oh I know to be ready for delays. I booked hotel but I won't do airfare until much, much closer.  I was just curious how long after the initial launch date (2/26) I should give myself in case of scrubs for weather and stuff that may delay it a day or so. Wondering if a week is good enough?

Consider flying Southwest if that is an option for you.  They do not charge a fee for changing your flights.  This was a great option for me for STS-127 last year.  I had to change my return flight twice because of delays (fortunately I had the work flexibility to do so).  I had to pay more because the "new" fare was higher than my original fare, but only ended up adding about $40 to the total cost. 

Offline ShuttleShel

« Reply #54 on: 08/19/2010 10:51 pm »

Consider flying Southwest if that is an option for you.  They do not charge a fee for changing your flights.  This was a great option for me for STS-127 last year.  I had to change my return flight twice because of delays (fortunately I had the work flexibility to do so).  I had to pay more because the "new" fare was higher than my original fare, but only ended up adding about $40 to the total cost. 

That is exactly what I plan to do! ;)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #55 on: 08/20/2010 12:28 am »
I was just curious how long after the initial launch date (2/26) I should give myself in case of scrubs for weather and stuff that may delay it a day or so. Wondering if a week is good enough?

I've only been to one launch (STS-132). If you have not been to one, or you plan to see her at the pad and do the tours, then I can tell you that you can forget about seeing much the day before launch: the crowds are insane! 2 days before wasn't too bad, 3 days would be best.

After the 26th, I would give yourself 4 days easy (if possible). If you can manage 7, you're making me jealous :) Worst case I will pay more to stay longer (if I have to), but there are only so many days available at the pad before they stand down (4 is nominal IIRC), but that's flexible, as is the lead-up to launch day.

I didn't have a Southwest option, but that would have been my choice if it were available.

Not sure if you've been in the area before, but I didn't really find anything in Titusville that you couldn't travel for. Aim for Cocoa or Port Canaveral: that's where all the restaurants are & the action is (from a visitor's perspective). I found the distances between locations deceptively long. I spent too much time driving.

Offline ShuttleShel

« Reply #56 on: 08/20/2010 01:25 am »
I was just curious how long after the initial launch date (2/26) I should give myself in case of scrubs for weather and stuff that may delay it a day or so. Wondering if a week is good enough?

I've only been to one launch (STS-132). If you have not been to one, or you plan to see her at the pad and do the tours, then I can tell you that you can forget about seeing much the day before launch: the crowds are insane! 2 days before wasn't too bad, 3 days would be best.

After the 26th, I would give yourself 4 days easy (if possible). If you can manage 7, you're making me jealous :) Worst case I will pay more to stay longer (if I have to), but there are only so many days available at the pad before they stand down (4 is nominal IIRC), but that's flexible, as is the lead-up to launch day.

I didn't have a Southwest option, but that would have been my choice if it were available.

Not sure if you've been in the area before, but I didn't really find anything in Titusville that you couldn't travel for. Aim for Cocoa or Port Canaveral: that's where all the restaurants are & the action is (from a visitor's perspective). I found the distances between locations deceptively long. I spent too much time driving.

Thanks for the info. I've been to the Cocoa area before and toured KSC a couple times. I have been to Orlando many times.  I have hotel booked at Comfort Inn & Suites in Port Canaveral. I am traveling with 3 (11, 8 &6) kids so we want to do the launch of course and then would do KSC the days after depending on when the launch actually happens. I won't fly in until the day before the launch. I want to give my extra days after in case of scrubs rather than before. We'll probably spend our non-shuttle time on the beach, check out the sites around Cocoa or maybe head to Orlando for a day or 2 and check out Harry Potter or Seaworld.

Offline ysuindy

• Fishers, IN
« Reply #57 on: 08/23/2010 07:45 pm »
We had plenty of downtime with STS-127.  Some other non-beach ideas that might work for days after the launch or days where they are not attempting.  My son was 13, almost 14, when we visited.

Daytona Speedway - there is a "museum" that includes a tour of the track - you get to stand in victory lane, etc.  If any of your kids are in to racing, it is worth the drive.

St. Augustine - a little bit further up the road but lots of neat stuff to do.

If you have any baseball fans in the group - late February will be Spring Training.  The Washington Nationals have camp in Viera, a few exits down 95 from Cocoa.

Of course there is nothing wrong with hanging at the beach or theme parks either - and at that time of the year as long as its warm, its good.  :)

Good luck - hope it all works out for you!

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #58 on: 08/23/2010 08:21 pm »
We had plenty of downtime with STS-127.  Some other non-beach ideas that might work for days after the launch or days where they are not attempting.  My son was 13, almost 14, when we visited.

Daytona Speedway - there is a "museum" that includes a tour of the track - you get to stand in victory lane, etc.  If any of your kids are in to racing, it is worth the drive.

St. Augustine - a little bit further up the road but lots of neat stuff to do.

If you have any baseball fans in the group - late February will be Spring Training.  The Washington Nationals have camp in Viera, a few exits down 95 from Cocoa.

Of course there is nothing wrong with hanging at the beach or theme parks either - and at that time of the year as long as its warm, its good.  :)

Good luck - hope it all works out for you!

Good ideas, but you missed one of the better opportunities: Basketball season will be on, so don't forget the Orlando Magic!!  Yeah baby.

Lots of home games too around this time!

Offline LostInSpace

• Cape Canaveral
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #59 on: 08/26/2010 08:21 pm »
Hey gang, Careful with the "Cocoa" vs "Cocoa Beach" terminology.  I know you're abbreviating but newbies may search here and not understand that they are 2 very different areas about 15 minutes apart.  Cocoa (32922) is off US1, a quaint little village on the river.  Cocoa BEACH (32931) is probably what you all are after.

I'm a local so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography