Author Topic: Artemis I Pre-Launch Testing at LC-39B (Leading up to and including all WDR's)  (Read 123050 times)

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
  • Liked: 7469
  • Likes Given: 4154
Hold and cutoff.

SLS/Artemis 1 (T-0m29s): HOLD! Vehicle safing underway; the ground launch sequencer commanded a cutoff, presumably due to flags triggered by the leaking LH2 quick disconnect fitting, but no confirmation yet

https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1539030125899137024?cxt=HHwWgIC-jdrv3dsqAAAA
« Last Edit: 06/20/2022 11:43 pm by centaurinasa »
To boldly go where no human has gone before !

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
Safing of the vehicle is in progress...

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
Vehicle safing  still underway.

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
UPDATE: The launch team went through the T-10 countdown stopping at T-29 seconds. They are currently safing the vehicle.

https://twitter.com/NASAGroundSys/status/1539032031979528192?cxt=HHwWgICzwdPe3tsqAAAA

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
"critical" portion of the safing is now complete

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
SLS/Artemis 1: The good news? The team successfully fueled the SLS and made it down to inside 33 seconds, a major milestone verifying most of the terminal countdown procedures; but NASA still faces a hydrogen leak in a core stage quick-disconnect fitting; impact TBD

https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1539032574592434176?cxt=HHwWgICypZ7-3tsqAAAA

SLS/Artemis 1: In the near term, engineers will work through procedures to drain the SLS of its 750,000-gallon load of liquid oxygen and hydrogen fuel while mission managers review what went right today and what didn't; NASA promises an update from the launch director shortly

https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1539033399377244162?cxt=HHwWhMC9tZ-u39sqAAAA

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
Launch director update.

The team has wrapped wet dress rehearsal for the day. Artemis I Launch Director Charlie Blackwell-Thompson said this was a "great day for our team" and she was "really proud of the team and all they've done to get us here."

https://twitter.com/NASAGroundSys/status/1539036703691776000?cxt=HHwWgICxvcru4NsqAAAA

SLS/Artemis 1: Launch director Charlie Blackwell-Thompson says she's pleased the team finally got the SLS core and upper stage fully loaded; but she says it's too early to say what NASA's next steps might be and did not address what might be needed to fix the leaking QD fitting

https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1539036778706964483?cxt=HHwWhsC4sfny4NsqAAAA
« Last Edit: 06/21/2022 12:08 am by centaurinasa »

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
End of NASA WDR coverage.
(and for me, too...  8) )

Offline 2024MoonShot

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 32
Personal opinion: They'll have to do a WDR #5 after fixing the LH2 leak on the QD.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 57
Personal opinion: They'll have to do a WDR #5 after fixing the LH2 leak on the QD.
Whether it doesn't happen or it does, NASA might be pleased that enough WDR objectives were achieved during today's largely successful WDR test to stick by a late August launch window for Artemis 1.

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3908
  • Likes Given: 750
Whether it doesn't happen or it does, NASA might be pleased that enough WDR objectives were achieved during today's largely successful WDR test to stick by a late August launch window for Artemis 1.
The core stage is as I recall approaching its unwaivered limit on allowed number of cryogenic fill and drain cycles. It was in an SLS article and threads.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
The core stage is as I recall approaching its unwaivered limit on allowed number of cryogenic fill and drain cycles. It was in an SLS article and threads.
As pointed out by NASA officials, issues with the ground equipment rather the SLS rocket itself were to blame for the failure to completely fuel the core stage during the core stages. Recall that WDR#3 for the SLS rocket did not involve fueling the ICPS stage because there was a malfunction of the helium valve during the first and second WDR tests.

No matter if there was an LH2 leak at the QD despite both stages being completely filled and the cause of the unintentional QD leak is determined, NASA most likely will lean towards the late August launch window for the Artemis 1 mission.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2022 12:51 am by Vahe231991 »

Offline jadebenn

• Professional Lurker
  • Orbiting the Mun
  • Liked: 1139
  • Likes Given: 3218
I think there was an update on that, where there'd been confusion between the cycles allocated for the Green Run WDR and the cycles available in general. I believe the tanks are rated for 22 cycles overall.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2022 01:46 am by jadebenn »

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
I think there was an update on that, where there'd been confusion between the cycles allocated for the Green Run WDR and the cycles available in general. I believe the tanks are rated for 22 cycles overall.
The SLS rocket that is earmarked for the Artemis 1 mission had to taken back to the VAB for a few repairs because the first and second WDRs were beset by problems with ground equipment, and the third WDR suffered a liquid hydrogen leak at the umbilical tower, but the fact that the fourth WDR was a huge success notwithstanding a liquid hydrogen leak on the QD might lead NASA to evaluate whether the SLS fuel tanks can tolerate less than 22 cycles overall.

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3908
  • Likes Given: 750
As pointed out by NASA officials, issues with the ground equipment rather the SLS rocket itself were to blame for the failure to completely fuel the core stage during the core stages. Recall that WDR#3 for the SLS rocket did not involve fueling the ICPS stage because there was a malfunction of the helium valve during the first and second WDR tests.

No matter if there was an LH2 leak at the QD despite both stages being completely filled and the cause of the unintentional QD leak is determined, NASA most likely will lean towards the late August launch window for the Artemis 1 mission.
That is completely unrelated to my post. Every fill attempt that results in cryogenic fluids reaching flight side of the core stage umbilical plates count however those that dont partially fill the tanks can be waived. Every pressurisation to flight and test pressures with or without cryogenic fluids also counts yet only as a technicality.
Yep just found the article and was about to update my post to reflect. There is also a separate target limit for the KSC battleship testing campaign which include WDR, and the cancelled FRF. I was referring to the KSC limit and should have stated that.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2022 03:12 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1103
  • Likes Given: 3038
Very successful WDR, if the cause of the abort was the handover to flight control system that then flagged the masked H2 leak I think that provides enough data to close out the WDR imo.  Hopefully we get some good information tomorrow.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2387
  • Likes Given: 1807
Post-test media teleconference for the Artemis I wet dress rehearsal (15:00 UTC June 21th.)
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 15292
  • Likes Given: 9516
Post-test media teleconference for the Artemis I wet dress rehearsal (15:00 UTC June 21th.)

Good. I hope someone asks a question about current detanking status of SLS.

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2387
  • Likes Given: 1807

Summary:

- Important objectives were achieved during the test which will help prepare for the launch.
- Progress was made beyond previous attempts and good results were achieved.
- NASA teams and contractors worked well throughout the process.
- The LH2 leak was detected, an attempt was made to repair it during the test, but it was not possible, however, the test was able to continue.
- Orion spacecraft responded well to individual tests and in conjunction with the rocket.
- All data needs to be analyzed to determine if another WDR is needed or if it is time to return to the VAB to prepare the rocket for launch.
- The teams knew there would be a Hold before T-9.3s due to the leak, but it was not known when it would be, ultimately it was at T-29 seconds.
- It is still too early to know a concrete launch date, waiting for the data review to know what the next step is.
- The final countdown and the last 10 minutes went as expected and the data obtained was the most important thing.
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography