Author Topic: Artemis I Pre-Launch Testing at LC-39B (Leading up to and including all WDR's)  (Read 122432 times)

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2360
  • Likes Given: 1793
NASA to Discuss Status of Artemis I Moon Mission

NASA will hold a media teleconference at 3 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 18, to discuss the status of the next wet dress rehearsal test of the agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft at Launch Complex 39B at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida ahead of the uncrewed Artemis I lunar mission.

Due to upgrades required at an off-site supplier of gaseous nitrogen used for the test, NASA will take advantage of the opportunity to roll SLS and Orion back to the Vehicle Assembly Building to replace a faulty upper stage check valve and a small leak on the tail service mast umbilical. During that time, the agency also will review schedules and options to demonstrate propellant loading operations ahead of launch.

The teleconference will stream live on the agency’s website.

Teleconference participants include:

- Tom Whitmeyer, deputy associate administrator for common exploration systems development, NASA Headquarters in Washington
- Charlie Blackwell-Thompson, Artemis launch director, NASA Exploration Ground Systems program, Kennedy
- Mike Sarafin, Artemis mission manager, NASA Headquarters
To participate by telephone, media must RSVP no later than two hours prior to the start of the event to: [email protected] 

Through Artemis missions, NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon, paving the way for a long-term lunar presence and serving as a steppingstone to send astronauts to Mars.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2022 01:41 am by Conexion Espacial »
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Online friendly3

• Liege. BELGIUM.
  • Liked: 283
  • Likes Given: 7662

Offline gbl

• US
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 11
Artemis I Status Update - Media Teleconference 3pm EDT Monday, April 18, 2022

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
  • Liked: 7467
  • Likes Given: 4148
« Last Edit: 04/18/2022 07:28 pm by centaurinasa »
To boldly go where no human has gone before !

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4960
  • Likes Given: 44858
Moderator:
I split/merged 12 recent posts to the Artemis I discussion thread.
« Last Edit: 04/22/2022 06:09 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

NASA’s Artemis I Rocket Readying for Return to Vehicle Assembly Building

Teams at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida are preparing the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft for their return to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) early next week. As work continues at the launch pad throughout the weekend, we will also continue working closely with our commercial crew partners to confirm a date and time. The transition is underway to move from the testing configuration to the roll back formation needed to return to the VAB. This process includes offloading hydrazine from the twin solid rocket boosters and disconnecting the rocket and spacecraft from the ground systems infrastructure at the launch pad. The core stage propellant was drained shortly after completing the last test attempt. The rocket and spacecraft remain in a safe configuration and will soon be placed atop the crawler-transporter for the 4-mile trek to the VAB.
Inside the VAB, engineers will repair a faulty helium check valve and a hydrogen leak on the mobile launcher while the supplier for the gaseous nitrogen makes upgrades to their pipeline configuration to support Artemis I testing and launch.
While most objectives associated with the wet dress rehearsal were met during recent testing, teams plan to return to the launch pad when repairs and checkouts in the VAB are complete for the next full wet dress test attempt. Following completion of the test, SLS and Orion will return to the VAB for the remaining checkouts before rolling back out to the pad for launch.
« Last Edit: 04/23/2022 01:12 am by Conexion Espacial »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN, NASA readies SLS moon rocket for return to Vehicle Assembly Building, dated April 24
Ground teams moved a diesel-powered crawler-transporter underneath the Space Launch System moon rocket Sunday [Apr 24] on pad 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, preparing the towering launcher for a return to the Vehicle Assembly Building for repairs.

The rollback to the Vehicle Assembly Building is set to begin as soon as Monday afternoon, giving the SLS team plenty of time to bring the rocket back to the hangar before the scheduled launch of a SpaceX crew mission to the International Space Station early Wednesday.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8033
  • Likes Given: 315

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8033
  • Likes Given: 315

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 4713
  • Likes Given: 1006
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1518602525166948355?s=20&t=3x62J1g1VNFTxJWzkmIoxw
The NET Aug for launch is a realization with the decision to do another normal WDR process of rollout and then rollback. Most of that is has multiple reasons for that decisions and that is that and that is that the hybrid process of rollout to do a WDR then followed by a launch is unlikely to have enough certification time for the destruct to be able to do a launch after the WDR. The other is that procedures will have to be closely edited for the WDR to do a WDR with an active destruct package. In the long run the result is that no time would be saved. So a normal WDR followed by the rollback to activate the destruct then rollout to launch. Takes a minimum of 60 days. So the current question is that how long before the rollout to do the WDR. At the moment would be at best 30 days from now or NET 25 May. Then + 60 days is 25 July for rollout to launch with first launch possibility at 12 days latter of NET 5 Aug.

A basic note is that just to be able to do all the additional rolls takes ~50 days. This is because it takes 10 days for SLS/Orion stack to go from a static location state to a rolling state as well as the other way. With 5 extra state changes to do rolls that is 50 days. Hopefully after doing so many of these state change actions for rolling they get a little faster at it.

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
  • Liked: 7467
  • Likes Given: 4148
To boldly go where no human has gone before !

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Quote from: Eric Berger tweet
NASA plans to roll the SLS rocket back to the Vehicle Assembly Building on Monday night. While NASA is not publicly discussing a launch schedule, two sources say the Artemis I launch is now NET August.
Psyche will launch on a Falcon Heavy from LC-39A; the launch window opens August 1.

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1398
  • Likes Given: 3480
Psyche will launch on a Falcon Heavy from LC-39A; the launch window opens August 1.

Interesting.  The late July / early August Artemis I window is July 26 - August 9.

Do we know when the next window is?

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1096
  • Likes Given: 3020
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

The SLS rocket has left Launch Complex 39B and is headed for the VAB in the morning.

Artemis I Moon Rocket Arrives at Vehicle Assembly Building

At approximately 6 a.m. ET Tuesday, NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft for the Artemis I mission arrived at the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at Kennedy Space Center after a 10-hour journey from launch pad 39B that began at 7:54 p.m. ET Monday, April 25.

Over the next several days, the team will extend the work platforms to allow access to SLS and Orion. In the coming weeks, teams will work on replacing a faulty upper stage check valve and a small leak within the tail service mast umbilical ground plate housing, and perform additional checkouts before returning to the launch pad for the next wet dress rehearsal attempt.   

If you want to be updated on the latest information from the SLS after the rocket's arrival at the VAB, check out the following article from NASASpaceFlight where you will find NASA's action plan to solve the problems and how the current situation is for the Artemis I launch.

Article: Artemis 1 vehicle heads back to VAB while NASA discusses what to do next

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography