Author Topic: Artemis I Pre-Launch Testing at LC-39B (Leading up to and including all WDR's)  (Read 122705 times)

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1004
  • Likes Given: 42
So when is the next attempt ? after AX-1 (NET 4/9/2022) ?
« Last Edit: 04/04/2022 09:21 pm by hektor »

Offline waf102

• Cleveland, OH USA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 17
That's a scrub.

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 4719
  • Likes Given: 1011
Did they ever have such problems on the ML during the Apollo missions?

Yes: https://history.nasa.gov/afj//ap11fj/pdf/stephen-coester-apollo11-lh2-leak.pdf
An additional is that all the launch providers have had similar types of prop loading problems from time to time, ULA and SpaceX included. Everyone has had problems with their GSE throughout the life of their LV launch operations.

An additional is that AX-1 has a hotfire midday on the 6th. So tomorrow is still open for another try maybe. Else it is a cascading slip to both AX-1 and Crew 4. There would be not enough space between Crew 4 and the OFT-2 to do a AX-1 mission after Crew 4 without slipping OFT-2. Delaying AX-1 any significant amount can make significant problems for all of the ISS ops. A day or 2 possible but not 3 or 4. Note here is that AX-1 and Crew 4 is currently in a day for day slip scenario. a couple of days OK. A week is not.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4980
  • Likes Given: 44986
Moderator:
I split/merged 18? posts to the Artemis I discussion thread.  They were less directly related to the business at hand.

The WDR should now be easier to follow in this thread.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2022 11:43 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Offline cplchanb

• Toronto
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 23
Any news on next steps? Hopefully this is a simple fix with the panels or breakers. They said a big reason why they scrubbed was it happened so late in the day. Perhaps if it occurred in the morning they couldve spent more time to troubleshoot and maybe solve the issue.

Offline [email protected]

Any news on next steps? Hopefully this is a simple fix with the panels or breakers. They said a big reason why they scrubbed was it happened so late in the day. Perhaps if it occurred in the morning they couldve spent more time to troubleshoot and maybe solve the issue.
The next attempt is likely several days away, so no
https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/status/1511107003522994178?t=f6PhtroBde0Ue24rw3ysCg&s=19
« Last Edit: 04/05/2022 02:19 am by [email protected] »
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 55495
  • Likes Given: 25062
https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/04/04/artemis-i-wet-dress-rehearsal-called-off-for-april-4/

Artemis I Wet Dress Rehearsal Called off for April 4

The Artemis I team has ended today’s attempt at the wet dress rehearsal test at 5 p.m. The countdown ended after partially loading liquid oxygen into the Space Launch System core stage tank. This provided the teams a valuable opportunity for training and to make sure modeled loading procedures were accurate. This was the first time using new systems at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39B. The team was able to monitor the Artemis I core stage as it was exposed to cryogenic liquids and gather data that will inform updates to propellant loading procedures.

After troubleshooting a temperature limit issue for the liquid oxygen, which delayed the countdown by several hours, the team successfully developed a new procedure for loading the liquid oxygen and filled the tank to 50 percent. Liquid oxygen is an extremely cold, or cryogenic, propellant that is maintained at minus 297 degrees Fahrenheit.

During chilldown of the lines in preparation for loading the liquid hydrogen, the teams encountered an issue with a panel on the mobile launcher that controls the core stage vent valve. The purpose of the vent valve is to relieve pressure from the core stage during tanking. Given the time to resolve the issue as teams were nearing the end of their shifts, the launch director made the call to stop the test for the day. A crew will investigate the issue at the pad, and the team will review range availability and the time needed to turn systems around before making a determination on the path forward.

The wet dress rehearsal is the last major test before launch. This test allows the team to practice propellant loading and thoroughly check out the Artemis I rocket systems as they are exposed to cryogenics.

The note about range availability suggests NASA wants to avoid impact to the Axiom-1 launch (which makes sense given the potential consequences to the ISS schedule, as noted up thread).

Offline Overwatchfan123

• United Kingdom
    • My YouTube channel
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 68
According to an Instagram story post from @nasaartemis on Instagram, NASA ended the WDR test after encountering a vent valve issue while loading propellent into the SLS fuel tank. NASA plans to provide another update during a media teleconference at 5 p.m. EDT (9 p.m. GMT).
I've been a space aficionado since 2008. I love space.
Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/DarkFalconAnimations

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1034
  • Likes Given: 1285
Media call at 4pm ET.  I hope this one gets up onto Youtube faster than Sunday's, or they don't hide it as "unlisted".  Either way, gracious thanks to whoever finds it and posts it here.

https://twitter.com/JimFree/status/1511321898654875656
« Last Edit: 04/05/2022 02:51 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 2107
  • Likes Given: 781
April 05, 2022
MEDIA ADVISORY M22-046
NASA to Discuss Final Test Status Today Before Artemis Moon Mission

NASA will hold a media teleconference at 4 p.m. EDT today on Tuesday, April 5, to provide another update on the final major test with the agency’s mega Moon rocket and Orion spacecraft at the launch pad ahead of the uncrewed Artemis I lunar mission. Audio of the teleconference will stream live on the agency’s website.

During the approximate two-day test known as a wet dress rehearsal, NASA encountered an issue Monday, April 4, with a panel on the mobile launcher that controls the core stage vent valve. The purpose of the valve is to relieve pressure from the rocket’s core stage during tanking. NASA’s launch director made the call to stop the test given the time to resolve the issue as teams were nearing the end of their shifts.

At the time the test ended, the team had loaded about 50% of the liquid oxygen into the Space Launch System rocket core stage. Teams are reviewing range availability and the time needed to turn systems around before determining another attempt to conduct the wet dress rehearsal.

Teleconference participants include:

Tom Whitmeyer, deputy associate administrator for Common Exploration Systems Development, NASA Headquarters in Washington
    Mike Sarafin, Artemis mission manager, NASA Headquarters
    Charlie Blackwell-Thompson, Artemis launch director, Exploration Ground Systems Program, NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida

To participate by telephone, media must RSVP to NASA no later than one hour prior to the start of the event to: [email protected]

The test is designed to demonstrate the ability to conduct a full launch countdown at Kennedy’ Launch Pad 39B, including loading and draining cryogenic, or supercold, propellants into the Artemis I rocket. The dress rehearsal initially began April 1 and was previously stopped Sunday, April 3, to troubleshoot issues with two fans required to help pressurize the mobile launcher ahead of cryogenic propellant loading operations, and resumed a day later.

Through Artemis missions, NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon, paving the way for a long-term lunar presence and serving as a steppingstone on the way to Mars.

For updates, follow along on NASA’s Artemis blog at:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online gbl

• US
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 11

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1034
  • Likes Given: 1285
« Last Edit: 04/05/2022 08:30 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 2107
  • Likes Given: 781
"have you been able to determine why the primary and back-up valves failed to operate?"  "Yes, we sent a team to the pad yesterday and they determined a manual valve (in front of the two valves) that should have been open, was in the closed position"  Several folks are getting checklist refresher training...
« Last Edit: 04/05/2022 09:38 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline eeergo

Since no scheduling updates were transcribed, here go so belated ones:

- June launch is still unaffected.
- Will attempt the WDR again after Ax-1's launch (currently set for Friday 8th).
- Aiming for a 36-hour process (not starting from the beginning of the countdown again), don't want to prolong shifts over 12 hours. This means if they start work Saturday the 9th, earliest they could reach T-0 would be Sunday 10th in the evening - more likely they'd start a bit later on Saturday to have T-0 during the day on Monday 11th. Assuming then the initially-expected closeout time, and a successful WDR at the third try, rollback would tentatively be around the 19th.
- One of two primary test objectives, and two-and-a-half secondaries out of five, have been completed. Of course, the most critical ones remain.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2022 08:19 am by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
  • Liked: 7469
  • Likes Given: 4154
To boldly go where no human has gone before !

Offline centaurinasa

• CETI Alpha V
  • Liked: 7469
  • Likes Given: 4154
« Last Edit: 04/06/2022 01:43 pm by centaurinasa »
To boldly go where no human has gone before !

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1446
  • Likes Given: 1347
Some mosaics I took of SLS as it awaits its WDR.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2022 01:53 pm by Orbiter »
Astronomer & launch photographer

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2366
  • Likes Given: 1798

Some satellite images from WorldView-3 where the SLS can be seen.https://twitter.com/maxar/status/1511715913615257601
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2366
  • Likes Given: 1798

New livestream for Artemis I Wet Dress Rehearsal.
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Offline Remes

• Germany
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 130
The golden hour

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight