Author Topic: Mainstream news coverage of Starship events  (Read 83163 times)

Offline steveleach

• Liked: 2779
  • Likes Given: 961
Mainstream news coverage of Starship events
« on: 12/09/2020 11:27 pm »
I knew all of us here at NSF were excited about the SN8 flight, but it looks like it is mainstream front-page news here in the UK, up there with Brexit, COVID-19 and the threatened Facebook breakup...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55239628

I went looking assuming there would be a chance I'd find it buried somewhere on page 7 of the science section at some point over the next day or two, but there it was on the front page.

[edit: thread title changed to be more generic]
« Last Edit: 08/06/2021 05:30 pm by steveleach »

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
Re: Mainstream news coverage of SN8 flight
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2020 11:28 pm »
It's on the front page of CNN.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Online Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2020 11:31 pm »

Offline GoatPrn

• USA
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2020 11:33 pm »
Damn you should see ABC's twitter post. https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1336811865616224258?s=20

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #4 on: 12/09/2020 11:35 pm »
Damn you should see ABC's twitter post. https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1336811865616224258?s=20

People who live on the island of Cyprus are called Cypriots.

ABC is located on the island of Id.
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #5 on: 12/09/2020 11:41 pm »
I think The Washington Post (my local paper) did a much better job of describing the test.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/09/sapcex-starship-explodes-on-landing/

"Elon Musk’s Starship launches successfully but lands hard, explodes in what SpaceX calls an ‘awesome test’"

Don't forget, this is the paper owned by Musk's competitor, Jeff Bezos.

Fortunately, I've made money off of both of them due to owning both Amazon and Tesla stock. :)

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2020 11:45 pm »

Offline steveleach

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2020 11:48 pm »
The BBC article is actually quite good.

But then we have The Sun...

SpaceX’s $216million Mars Starship rocket EXPLODES as it misses landing pad on first high-altitude test flight
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13434027/space-x-mars-starship-explodes-misses-landing-pad/

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #8 on: 12/09/2020 11:56 pm »
The BBC article is actually quite good.

But then we have The Sun...

SpaceX’s $216million Mars Starship rocket EXPLODES as it misses landing pad on first high-altitude test flight

I mean, its not even true.  It literally exploded as it HIT the landing pad -- that's why it exploded.. hitting the landing pad.   

But I doubt there's any real malice, just pure clickbait. Like everything else they do.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #9 on: 12/10/2020 12:03 am »

People who live on the island of Cyprus are called Cypriots.

ABC is located on the island of Id.

They think we are too. That's why they saw the need to point out that there was no one aboard what they'd just described as an unmanned vehicle. I'm so glad they did; I'd have never figured that out on my own. :)

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #10 on: 12/10/2020 12:06 am »
In the Dutch media:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2360013-prototype-starship-spacex-explodeert-bij-landing-na-geslaagde-test.html
Apart from an obvious machine-translation Falcon-up*, it's pretty neutral and factual.

* They translated "header" as if talking about a news article.

Offline TorenAltair

• Germany
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 116
« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 12:25 am by TorenAltair »

Offline AndrewRG10

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 290

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4412
  • Likes Given: 2691
« Reply #13 on: 12/10/2020 12:32 am »
Any outlet trying to portray this as a failure is just doing it to rile people up and draw attention to themselves. Don't give them any.

Honestly, who cares? In less than a month, SN9 could have a successful landing. If it doesn't, there's SN10 a month after that, etc. etc. Any negativity will be completely irrelevant very, very soon.

Offline TorenAltair

• Germany
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #14 on: 12/10/2020 01:16 am »
Adding an impression from „German“ Twitter today: what surprised me was that trending in Top 10 were and are terms like Starship, Elon, StarshipSN8, SpaceX etc.
usually there is mostly gossip talk or strange stuff like „good morning [insert name]“ trending

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #15 on: 12/10/2020 03:59 am »
Any outlet trying to portray this as a failure is just doing it to rile people up and draw attention to themselves. Don't give them any.

Honestly, who cares? In less than a month, SN9 could have a successful landing. If it doesn't, there's SN10 a month after that, etc. etc. Any negativity will be completely irrelevant very, very soon.

To be fair, it takes a bit getting used to SpaceX blowing up vehicle after vehicle. Imagine NASA blowing up Space Shuttle after Space Shuttle just for the "data".  ;D

Offline Barnalby

• Liked: 324
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: 12/10/2020 04:04 am »
I think The Washington Post (my local paper) did a much better job of describing the test.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/09/sapcex-starship-explodes-on-landing/

"Elon Musk’s Starship launches successfully but lands hard, explodes in what SpaceX calls an ‘awesome test’"

Fortunately, I've made money off of both of them due to owning both Amazon and Tesla stock. :)

Bezos just got mogged hard, so of course his blog is going to throw shade over a sacrificial test article doing its job beautifully.  He needs to light a fire under the New Glenn team's butts before they end up as irrelevant as Arianespace or Roscosmos.

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #17 on: 12/10/2020 06:04 am »
WSJ had an article by Andy Pasztor; no more need be said.

Offline Syrinx

• San Carlos, CA, USA
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #18 on: 12/10/2020 07:42 am »
So very glad to have NSF and others like Everyday Astronaut providing coverage and commentary.

My local 11pm television news was very disappointing.  I learned that SpaceX tried to land on a barge in the ocean where the rocket exploded.

Last week, the same television news quoted Elon as saying his personal trip to Mars may be in 2021.

In both cases, conflating bits of different SpaceX projects.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #19 on: 12/10/2020 08:19 am »
Imagine NASA blowing up Space Shuttle after Space Shuttle just for the "data".  ;D

That's exactly what they once did. Not shuttles, but rockets in general. And it got them to the moon...

« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 08:23 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline rklaehn

• interplanetary telemetry plumber
  • germany
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #20 on: 12/10/2020 08:27 am »
One thing I noticed is that sometimes the article itself is quite good, but the headline is extremely clickbaity. E.g. this German newspaper article is very positive and well-informed. It even includes the Elon tweet about the cause of the hard landing.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article222172050/SpaceX-Starship-zerschellt-im-Feuerball-Elon-Musk-trotzdem-ausser-sich-vor-Freude.html

But the headline is really bad clickbait.

My wife is a journalist, and this often happens to her too. She hands in a well-researched article with a good headline, and they change the headline or bits of the article to "spice it up".

Offline luinil

« Reply #21 on: 12/10/2020 08:32 am »
https://www.lemonde.fr/sciences/article/2020/12/10/space-x-l-essai-du-prototype-starship-se-conclut-par-un-crash_6062870_1650684.html

Le Monde is one of the main newspapers in France. This article is written with Reuters.

The title translates to "Starship test ends with a crash".

The content isn't very good, focussing on the ascent and the crash, does not present the main objectives (flap controlled sky-diving descent, transfert to the sub-tanks, belly-flip...).
It does quotes Musk's tweet on the test and the reason for the failure, while failing to translate them to something that means anything in French..

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #22 on: 12/10/2020 08:43 am »
One thing I noticed is that sometimes the article itself is quite good, but the headline is extremely clickbaity. E.g. this German newspaper article is very positive and well-informed. It even includes the Elon tweet about the cause of the hard landing.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article222172050/SpaceX-Starship-zerschellt-im-Feuerball-Elon-Musk-trotzdem-ausser-sich-vor-Freude.html

But the headline is really bad clickbait.

My wife is a journalist, and this often happens to her too. She hands in a well-researched article with a good headline, and they change the headline or bits of the article to "spice it up".
Don’t they specifically have people these days whose job it is to write headlines to get eyes on the article as they say.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #23 on: 12/10/2020 09:02 am »
https://www.lemonde.fr/sciences/article/2020/12/10/space-x-l-essai-du-prototype-starship-se-conclut-par-un-crash_6062870_1650684.html

Le Monde is one of the main newspapers in France. This article is written with Reuters.

The title translates to "Starship test ends with a crash".

The content isn't very good, focussing on the ascent and the crash, does not present the main objectives (flap controlled sky-diving descent, transfert to the sub-tanks, belly-flip...).
It does quotes Musk's tweet on the test and the reason for the failure, while failing to translate them to something that means anything in French..

That's my experience as well which is why I decided to just write those newspaper articles myself!  :-)

Offline bjornl

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #24 on: 12/10/2020 10:37 am »
In the Dutch media:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2360013-prototype-starship-spacex-explodeert-bij-landing-na-geslaagde-test.html
Apart from an obvious machine-translation Falcon-up*, it's pretty neutral and factual.

* They translated "header" as if talking about a news article.

Telegraaf (popular newspaper) on the other hand: https://www.telegraaf.nl/video/1661002578/gigantische-explosie-bij-raketlanding-space-x

"Gigantic explosion during SpaceX rocket landing"

And https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/551317617/prototype-van-starship-space-x-explodeert-bij-landing-na-test

which mentions a "seemingly insignificant test launch"  ::) , but does note that it was a test, that it was a prototype and that it was unmanned.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 10:38 am by bjornl »

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
  • Liked: 949
  • Likes Given: 2056
« Reply #25 on: 12/10/2020 11:28 am »
Nothing in the South African news, but right now there's a fair amount of the usual mayhem and also a second COVID wave being declared. But there was some coverage of the previous day's abort.

Offline codav

« Reply #26 on: 12/10/2020 11:39 am »
ARD/Tagesschau in Germany picked the story up this morning, also solely reporting about the explosion:

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/spacex-rakete-explodiert-101.html

Their video only shows Starship trying to land unsuccessfully just after the flip maneuver. Not a single word about the other (main) test objectives like the unprecedented 4min 30s Raptor burn on ascent, the perfect belly flop, the hardships of relighting the engines from the header tanks and the correctly executed flip maneuver.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 11:39 am by codav »

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #27 on: 12/10/2020 01:28 pm »
Looking at the article from Spaceflight Now (link here):
Quote from: SpaceFlight Now
The privately-developed Starship’s three Raptor engines performed well, Musk tweeted, but low pressure inside the nose cone tanks feeding the engines during their landing burn caused the rocket to crash-land in a fireball...

But Musk tweeted:
Quote from: Elon Musk
Fuel header tank pressure was low during landing burn, causing touchdown velocity to be high & RUD...

I thought the fuel header tank was lower, as shown in the diagram below.

Do I have this wrong, or does the SFN article need to be corrected?
« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 01:33 pm by Dave G »

Online psherriffs

• Cebu, Philippines
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #28 on: 12/10/2020 01:45 pm »

Cool. WP is my paper also. I once wrote them a letter accusing them of not covering SpaceX (they didn't- just AP copy buried deep inside) because of Bezos' influence. Maybe...

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
« Reply #29 on: 12/10/2020 02:10 pm »
Seems like SN has it wrong.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #30 on: 12/10/2020 02:16 pm »
Depends which header tank you’re talking about as there’s one in the nose and one in the mid section.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #31 on: 12/10/2020 02:27 pm »
Problem is that they don't have "dedicated" Space Reporters any longer for the most part...
For example: I just watched CNN International and she said "When an "everyday" rocket fails and it's called a success" without showing the entire flight ( just moment of liftoff and landing) or "concept" of what was being tested...
There is nothing "everyday" about this rocket at all...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline joseph.a.navin

• Freelance photojournalist/Reporter
  • Elon, North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #32 on: 12/10/2020 03:39 pm »
Problem is that they don't have "dedicated" Space Reporters any longer for the most part...
For example: I just watched CNN International and she said "When an "everyday" rocket fails and it's called a success" without showing the entire flight ( just moment of liftoff and landing) or "concept" of what was being tested...
Thats's part of the reason why I want to go into the journalism field...
On the local NBC station here in North Carolina, SN5's test made news, I haven't checked if they covered SN8.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 03:41 pm by joseph.a.navin »
Elon University class of 2024 | Past launches/events seen: Superbird-A2 on Atlas IIAS (Apr 2004), Discovery OV-103 ferry flight to Dulles (2012), NG-12, OFT-1, NG-13, Crew-2, NG-18

Offline KSHavre

• KSHavre
  • Portland, OR
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #33 on: 12/10/2020 04:09 pm »
Depends which header tank you’re talking about as there’s one in the nose and one in the mid section.

I am with Dave G; the 2 fuel tanks and 1 oxidizer tank are in the 'rocket' section and only 1 oxidizer tank in the nosecone...

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
« Reply #34 on: 12/10/2020 04:23 pm »
Not exactly on topic, but as of now the SpaceX video of the test flight has 5.6 million views, which is the most of any SpaceX broadcast since the Crew Demo 2 launch (9.7m views) and slightly more than Crew-1 at 5.2 million views.  Not really apples to apples, but it does show just how widely viewed this latest milestone was.

Offline Star One

• UK

Offline timverhoeven

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #36 on: 12/10/2020 05:04 pm »
Some Belgian media coverage:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/12/10/spacex/
https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20201210_96878916
https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/prototype-van-starship-spacex-van-elon-musk-explodeert-bij-test~b51db894/

I must say that all of them are pretty balanced reports and they get all the major facts right and most importantly they all mention that this is a a test of a new type of rocket/spaceship.

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 1178
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #37 on: 12/10/2020 05:12 pm »

Keep in mind:
1) Its just an attempt to create a sensationalist narrative to get attention
2) Since SpaceX is a private company, they aren't going to affect its valuation
3) Unfortunately for these media, SpaceX will continue to execute according to plan

During the Apollo days it was a crime in my opinion that space reporting devolved to not caring about the exploration that was going on. I expect this to continue.

The good thing is that it is possible nowadays for folks to create video feeds showing exploration activities that bypass all the major media, for those of us that want to watch the big or small steps that are taken every day. Good or bad.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2020 05:12 pm by DigitalMan »

Offline daveglo

• "a big enough engine, even a water tower can fly"
  • St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Liked: 675
  • Likes Given: 631

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #39 on: 12/10/2020 05:46 pm »

Musk said the problem that caused the RUD was in the fuel header tank.

The SpaceFlight Now article (link here) says the problem was in a nose cone header tank.

Is the fuel header tank in the nose cone?
If not, the SpaceFlight Now article got it wrong, and needs to be corrected.

Offline ioncloud9

• SC
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #40 on: 12/10/2020 05:48 pm »
https://twitter.com/AdamSafiKhan/status/1337002126858448897

Elon has often said if you aren't breaking things you aren't innovating enough.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #41 on: 12/10/2020 06:00 pm »
I'm reminded of a news report I saw when the Genesis capsule crashed. The newsreader helpfully said "luckily there was nobody onboard".
Yes, it was mere luck that nobody had climbed aboard the capsule three years prior. And not the fact that it was, as clearly shown in the footage, the size of a dustbin lid.
Bad journalism is not a new thing...
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #42 on: 12/10/2020 06:51 pm »
The “SpaceX rocket explodes” headline which I even saw in a manufacturing journal website seem to be a case of “if it bleeds it leads” syndrome.

IMHO The flight wouldn’t have gotten the press it did if it landed intact.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Oersted

« Reply #43 on: 12/10/2020 07:09 pm »
..So, the explosion was probably just a PR move by Elon.... "Bad news is good news".

Offline smisamore

• WEATHERFORD, TX
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 5394
« Reply #44 on: 12/10/2020 08:47 pm »
The “SpaceX rocket explodes” headline which I even saw in a manufacturing journal website seem to be a case of “if it bleeds it leads” syndrome.

IMHO The flight wouldn’t have gotten the press it did if it landed intact.
[/quote

I'll second that!!

A lot of teachable moments about accuracy (truth) in the media here, but I know this is not the place for that ;)

On a much more positive note, I remember many years ago seeing an interview with Joel Hodgson (the creator of MST3K) in which he said "those who are meant to get it, get it".

Unending gratitude to all those who provide the the platform (NSF), along with those who provide the subject matter (Spacex), so that those who "get it" can have a place to share the passion!

My name is Scott, but I think "Crusty the Space Clown" sounds way cooler!!

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #45 on: 12/10/2020 08:51 pm »
We're actually getting some new and perhaps important info from this news post;
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1336999881173577731

Per their picture, there was an as-yet unreported very, very serious problem with SN8; its RUD occurred at the Cape in Florida (so it was way off course).

Also, SN8's flight yesterday resulted in the Amos 6 explosion in 2016.   

Offline JMS

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 78

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #47 on: 12/11/2020 02:16 am »
Jackie Wattles is sort of CNN's dedicated space reporter, so it's not surprising that her article is much better than other main stream media.

Offline KBK

• We're not sure...
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #48 on: 12/11/2020 03:30 am »
What does the Babylon Bee have to say? it will probably be... savage.... ;D
« Last Edit: 12/11/2020 03:31 am by KBK »
More in need of philosophy are the sciences where perplexities are greater -- Aristotle

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
« Reply #49 on: 12/11/2020 06:19 am »
Ironically The South African had the most positive spin on it I've seen outside of actual space sites. Some of Spadre's Twitter pics are used.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/technology/space/starship-prototype-explodes-9-december-2020/

SpaceX on Wednesday, 9 December 2020 completed an altitude test for the Starship rocket SN8 prototype. While the test itself was a success, the rocket exploded once it was on the ground again.

A SUCCESSFUL STARSHIP MISSION

Nevertheless, SpaceX is touting the mission as a success. The rocket completed the ascent, freefall, and the bellyflop manoeuvre. Despite the explosion, SpaceX collected data to improve its next prototype, SN9.

Bit of a flub at the end as it says there are only 9 Raptor engines on the prototype, but I think that was just an honest typo from the journo who actually seems to have a clue.
« Last Edit: 12/11/2020 09:09 am by Lampyridae »

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #50 on: 12/11/2020 07:09 am »
Looking forward to all those "NRO mission crashes in to Ocean" headlines following the Delta launch this morning...
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #51 on: 12/11/2020 07:09 am »
Pourquoi l'explosion de son vaisseau Starship reste un grand succès pour SpaceX

Le Figaro, unfortunately behind a paywall.

Why the explosion of his Starship remains a big success for SpaceX

DECRYPTION - The test flight of the prototype SN-8 of the American company ended in a spectacular crash during the landing attempt. But the main thing is elsewhere.

« Last Edit: 12/11/2020 07:10 am by hektor »

Offline kessdawg

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 1554
« Reply #52 on: 12/12/2020 04:16 pm »
CNN added a detailed recap of the test flight complete with gifs explaining process. Several inaccuracies but otherwise a fine lay persperctive: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/10/tech/spacex-starship-sn8-test-flight-recap-scn/index.html

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10224
« Reply #53 on: 12/12/2020 09:38 pm »
It doesn't bother me that the mainstream news coverage is focusing on the explosion. Explosions are interesting and fun to watch for the whole family.  All news is good news.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2020 09:39 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline steveleach

« Reply #54 on: 05/06/2021 07:13 am »
SN15's landing made it onto the front page of most of the major news sites from what I can see...

CountryOutletLocationHeadline
=========================================
UKBBCFront Page"SpaceX Starship prototype makes clean landing"
USCNNFront Page"Success! SpaceX lands Mars rocket prototype for the first time"
USReutersFront Page"SpaceX Starship rocket prototype achieves first safe landing"
USNBCFront Page"SpaceX launches and lands Starship in first successful flight"
USWSJFront Page"SpaceX Starship Lands on Fifth Attempt"
UKMail OnlineMain Page"Nailed it! SpaceX's Starship SN15 blasts six miles into the sky before returning safely to the pad - a month after their last rocket exploded after landing"

Offline Scintillant

• Liked: 630
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #55 on: 05/06/2021 07:16 am »
SN15's landing made it onto the front page of most of the major news sites from what I can see...

CountryOutletLocationHeadline
=========================================
UKBBCFront Page"SpaceX Starship prototype makes clean landing"
USCNNFront Page"Success! SpaceX lands Mars rocket prototype for the first time"
USReutersFront Page"SpaceX Starship rocket prototype achieves first safe landing"
USNBCFront Page"SpaceX launches and lands Starship in first successful flight"
USWSJFront Page"SpaceX Starship Lands on Fifth Attempt"
UKMail OnlineMain Page"Nailed it! SpaceX's Starship SN15 blasts six miles into the sky before returning safely to the pad - a month after their last rocket exploded after landing"
Also got a Breaking News email alert from NYT, as well as main page placement.

Offline sleepy-martian

• Transfer Orbit
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #56 on: 05/06/2021 04:22 pm »
Just rode home on the Tram in Vienna and saw the landing played on the onboard entertainment displays.

Also was a headline in a couple local newspapers.

Hungarian news as well

I think this went truly global, which is absolutely awesome!

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: 05/06/2021 04:23 pm by sleepy-martian »

Offline Oersted

« Reply #57 on: 05/06/2021 05:30 pm »
Front page in major Danish papers as well.

Offline alang

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #58 on: 05/06/2021 05:41 pm »
BBC headline was the clean landing:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-57007136
But there was a long 'but' section showing previous failures.
I don't think the radical nature of this test programme has got through to them yet

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
« Reply #59 on: 05/06/2021 06:33 pm »
BBC headline was the clean landing:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-57007136
But there was a long 'but' section showing previous failures.
I don't think the radical nature of this test programme has got through to them yet

Jonathon Amos does their space coverage and his articles are pretty even-handed. The actual headline article from him was also quite good, for educating laypersons.

Offline alang

• Likes Given: 8
« Reply #60 on: 05/06/2021 09:34 pm »
Jonathon Amos does their space coverage and his articles are pretty even-handed. The actual headline article from him was also quite good, for educating laypersons.

Sure, Jonathan Amos is good, but anything without his name on it is more suspect.

Offline deadman1204

• USA
  • Liked: 1468
  • Likes Given: 2520
« Reply #61 on: 05/06/2021 09:44 pm »
seriously people, its not hard to make a new thread instead of necroing this one for something which is off topic. This thread is SN8, not SN15

Offline steveleach

Re: Mainstream news coverage of Starship events
« Reply #62 on: 08/06/2021 05:44 pm »
Necro'd the thread again, but renamed it to be a bit more generic; I'd prefer to have it all in one place.

Today's stacking made the BBC mobile app's home page, which actually surprised me. It didn't make it onto the BBC news website home page, but is the lead article under Science and Environment.

Online edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9325
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #63 on: 08/06/2021 05:51 pm »
It also headlines the Science section of the website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58120874), and is a refreshingly full-featured article.

Offline GruiicK

• Lyon, France
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1542
« Reply #64 on: 08/07/2021 06:43 am »
BN4+SN20 stacking made it to front title, in a "vulgar science  ;)" french website :

https://www.futura-sciences.com/sciences/actualites/vols-habites-spacex-plus-grand-lanceur-monde-prend-forme-87410/

For once, they did their homework.

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #65 on: 09/30/2021 07:47 pm »
This is a great documentary about Musk and SpaceX from ABC Australia. It doesn't explain a lot of the technology but it focuses on the significance of what SpaceX is doing, and the wide range of reactions to it.

EDIT: Thanks to Oersted for the correct link.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2021 02:49 pm by billh »

Offline Oersted

« Reply #66 on: 09/30/2021 08:29 pm »
Great, great half-hour programme... - Well done Sarah Ferguson and Aussie TV. They really tell the whole story of SpaceX, also giving screen time to those opposing Musk, and all the social media scene that has grown up around the Starship project.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #67 on: 09/30/2021 08:40 pm »
That was really good.

Offline su27k

« Reply #68 on: 10/13/2021 03:31 am »
Pretty good article from Financial Times covering the revolutionary potential of Starship: SpaceX: how Elon Musk’s new rocket could transform the space race

If paywalled, try searching the title in google and click through google search result, or you could use https://archive.is/
« Last Edit: 10/13/2021 03:32 am by su27k »

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4316
  • Likes Given: 1757
« Reply #69 on: 10/13/2021 03:56 am »
Pretty good article from Financial Times covering the revolutionary potential of Starship: SpaceX: how Elon Musk’s new rocket could transform the space race

If paywalled, try searching the title in google and click through google search result, or you could use https://archive.is/

It's quite a good article, but the reporter missed the fact that a Starship launch will be cheaper in absolute terms than an F9 launch. The reporter was still focused on $/kg instead of $/launch. It will be cheaper to launch a 1000 kg payload on an otherwise-empty Starship than it is to launch it on any smaller launcher.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #70 on: 10/13/2021 08:10 am »
NBC did a Meet the Press piece title "Space: Billionaires Vs. Nation States" last Sunday (Oct 11th).

Nor a good piece. The reporters keep equating SpaceX, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic as equals along with other global launch providers.

They bring out general Charlie Boldin at last part of the show. Well just watch the discussion on the current state of the global space industry.

There is a you tube video of the show:

edit: wrong broadcast date
« Last Edit: 10/14/2021 08:06 am by Zed_Noir »

Offline jlv

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 681
« Reply #71 on: 10/14/2021 12:04 am »

Archived link: https://archive.is/SimN3

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #72 on: 10/18/2021 11:37 pm »
While Teslarati probably doesn't qualify as mainstream news, they today reported that the first SS orbital launch has slipped to late March 2022.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-first-orbital-launch-date-nasa-update/?fbclid=IwAR3nXp-fk_JtRh-eCVtNWSmjQye9jg4iP-jCwOSUDW06YKThU_A5AtO0Pgo

In the same article, a link to the SpaceX Lounge on Reddit leads to a discussion that the information, in all probability, is actually about the imaging system (as already discussed on NSF) being ready by that time, not SH/SS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceXLounge/comments/q64efq/most_likely_starship_to_orbit_date_late_march_2022/?ref_source=embed&ref=share

Offline Alvian@IDN

« Reply #73 on: 10/19/2021 12:17 am »
While Teslarati probably doesn't qualify as mainstream news, they today reported that the first SS orbital launch has slipped to late March 2022.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-first-orbital-launch-date-nasa-update/?fbclid=IwAR3nXp-fk_JtRh-eCVtNWSmjQye9jg4iP-jCwOSUDW06YKThU_A5AtO0Pgo

In the same article, a link to the SpaceX Lounge on Reddit leads to a discussion that the information, in all probability, is actually about the imaging system (as already discussed on NSF) being ready by that time, not SH/SS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceXLounge/comments/q64efq/most_likely_starship_to_orbit_date_late_march_2022/?ref_source=embed&ref=share
SN8 keep doing its flight even though the WB-57 had retreated, so that's just a weird connections from Teslarati part
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #75 on: 10/21/2021 10:54 pm »
A friend forwarded this piece to me today from Texas Public Radio.    https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/10/20/space-x-launch-concerns
We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Offline volker2020

• Frankfurt, Germany
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 832
« Reply #76 on: 10/25/2021 03:01 pm »
Good news for SpaceX.

According to the independent https://www.independent.co.uk/space/spacex-launch-starship-sn20-elon-musk-b1944780.html, SpaceX will launch its next-generation Starship SN20 rocket next month.

I am sure that SpaceX will be very happy to hear that  ;)

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #77 on: 10/25/2021 04:53 pm »
Good news for SpaceX.

According to the independent https://www.independent.co.uk/space/spacex-launch-starship-sn20-elon-musk-b1944780.html, SpaceX will launch its next-generation Starship SN20 rocket next month.

Well being as that’s what Elon put on Twitter…

Offline rakaydos

• Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #78 on: 10/25/2021 05:08 pm »
Good news for SpaceX.

There's a difference (apparently lost on the british paper) between "Will launch if all goes well, and regulators permitting" and "Will launch."

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #79 on: 10/25/2021 06:53 pm »
Good news for SpaceX.

There's a difference (apparently lost on the british paper) between "Will launch if all goes well, and regulators permitting" and "Will launch."
I doubt that it was lost on them rather that even if inaccurate it makes for a more interesting angle.

Offline Bryan Hayward

• Madison AL
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #80 on: 10/25/2021 07:26 pm »

Having lived in England and worked with Rolls-Royce on specifications, can confirm.  "Will" is a mild word of prediction. "Shall" indicates a firm promise or mandatory action. (Same in NASA specs, FYI.)

Offline Slarty1080

• UK
  • Liked: 1871
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #81 on: 10/26/2021 08:33 am »
Good news for SpaceX.

There's a difference (apparently lost on the British paper) between "Will launch if all goes well, and regulators permitting" and "Will launch."
I doubt that it was lost on them rather that even if inaccurate it makes for a more interesting angle.
Papers certainly like to simplify and find a more interesting angle. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were simply ignorant of the importance of the "and regulators permitting" part of the statement and just assumed that regulators would just rubber stamp it as required or didn't care. With a few exceptions the press tend to be very ignorant on scientific issues compared to the effort put in to cover sport, political or financial stories (not that they're always good at those - just put more effort in).
My optimistic hope is that it will become cool to really think about things... rather than just doing reactive bullsh*t based on no knowledge (Brian Cox)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72392
« Reply #82 on: 10/27/2021 05:22 pm »
Moderator:
Splinter discussions that went or were off-topic, requiring two thread trims.

Grammar of "will" vs "shall."  (Veteran members will note that this discussion is a recurring one here.)

USA Federal constitutional legality of another proposed "eat the rich" tax.

The accelerating decline in the quality of the reporting by the mainstream media.

All three are interesting but off-topic here.
« Last Edit: 10/27/2021 05:33 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA

Offline su27k

« Reply #85 on: 11/20/2021 01:49 am »

Offline su27k

« Reply #86 on: 11/30/2021 02:25 am »
Long overview article from Air & Space Magazine: Marsliner - Elon Musk’s giant Starship will leave the world behind.

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
« Reply #87 on: 12/05/2021 08:29 am »
Not mainstream news, but this trailer for a forthcoming anime has a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of a Starship in orbit.

Offline rpapo

« Reply #88 on: 12/05/2021 09:23 am »
Not mainstream news, but this trailer for a forthcoming anime has a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of a Starship in orbit.
To be expected.  After all, Starship looks more like the classic sci-fi rocket than anything else ever actually built.

If you capture the image, you find that it is based on one of the earlier versions of the Starship, the one which had small fairings around landing legs.

Cameo by an enormous Canadarm.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
« Reply #89 on: 12/06/2021 02:48 pm »
To be expected.  After all, Starship looks more like the classic sci-fi rocket than anything else ever actually built.

If you capture the image, you find that it is based on one of the earlier versions of the Starship, the one which had small fairings around landing legs.

Cameo by an enormous Canadarm.

The Japanese media are also probably following Starship more closely than other nations because of Maezawa's moonshot. I remember when Kaguya was orbiting the Moon, there was a lot of mainstream media coverage of that: plenty of national pride and a widespread interest in science and technology.

Given the development timeframe of animation series, they would have had to freeze the Starship design at some point or they'd never get any storyboards done with it.

Offline su27k

« Reply #90 on: 12/16/2021 02:29 am »
Elon Musk: Interview with FT’s Person of the year

Quote from: Financial Times
There are also the supremely difficult technical challenges that appear to cause even Musk to doubt himself at times, including building the fully reusable Starship and perfecting the autonomous driving technology which Musk has claimed for years is just around the corner. These, he says, are the two things that take up “the most amount of cognitive load” in his life.

“I am confident we don’t need new physics,” Musk says of Starship. “But it is just a staggeringly difficult technical problem. I sometimes wonder, is it actually within the ability of humans to do this? I know that it can be done, but it remains to be done.”

Recently, he has been trying to prepare SpaceX’s workers for a difficult road ahead, writing to staff that its future is not assured. Many at the company have never lived through a failed rocket launch, he says. And he outlines how the company could get into financial difficulty should SpaceX fail to produce the engines needed to meet its Starship launch plans and put enough Starlink satellites into orbit. “Bankruptcy is not out of the question,” Musk says. “So we should not be complacent or entitled.”

Offline su27k

« Reply #91 on: 01/12/2022 02:21 am »
Not mainstream news, but this is a music video from a notable singer which has stylized Starship and Starbase as background:

And it was shown during halftime of US college football championship game.

Offline golosio

• Italy
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #92 on: 01/13/2022 03:24 am »
An article by Elizabeth Howell on space.com about launch/catch tower:
https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-launch-tower-elon-musk-video

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
« Reply #93 on: 02/03/2022 06:27 pm »
Well, The Orbital Children is now out on Netflix. Second part airs 11 Feb. We get quite a few shots of the not-JAL Starship, as well as an interesting modular seat arrangement. The anime is quite realistic in terms of physics, with things like coriolis force and internal suit pressure being issues.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #94 on: 02/12/2022 08:22 am »
The Atlantic has a long article on SpaceX and Boca. Reads like a hit piece with all the usual descriptions and terms.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/02/elon-musk-starship-spacex/622054/

Offline Oersted

« Reply #95 on: 02/12/2022 02:57 pm »
The Atlantic has a long article on SpaceX and Boca. Reads like a hit piece with all the usual descriptions and terms.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/02/elon-musk-starship-spacex/622054/

Mainstream media desperately wants Musk to fail. Sad to see, but not surprising, unfortunately.

Offline steveleach

« Reply #96 on: 02/12/2022 03:11 pm »

Mainstream media desperately wants Musk to fail. Sad to see, but not surprising, unfortunately.
Mainstream media desperately wants drama, because it sells ads. They'll seek out and dramatise both the good and the bad.

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #97 on: 02/12/2022 09:05 pm »

Mainstream media desperately wants drama, because it sells ads. They'll seek out and dramatise both the good and the bad.
Yes it does not matter if it is a dramatic success or a dramatic failure. But a case in point is the last Starlink launch vs all those earlier ones that were hardly noticed at all! It is all about drama and not the mundane same as before. Some news agencies use a positive side controversial vs others a negative side controversial. This will be the case so long as there is 2 obvious possible sides to the event.

Offline su27k

« Reply #98 on: 02/13/2022 02:40 am »

Not sure I would call this hit piece, the author does recognize SpaceX's ability to execute, and realizes the fate of the US space program is somewhat intertwined with SpaceX, seems to me the subtext is if SpaceX has a setback at Boca Chica due to FAA, it will impact NASA as well. This reality based reporting is mixed with author's dislike of Musk, which results in a unique style not usually seen on main stream media.

Offline su27k

« Reply #99 on: 02/13/2022 04:22 am »
Why Musk’s biggest space gamble is freaking out his competitors

Quote from: politico.com
Starship is threatening NASA’s moon contractors, which are watching its progress with a mix of awe and horror.

Elon Musk is planning yet again to rocket beyond the status quo. And if he succeeds, the aerospace giants that won the first space race may never catch him in this one.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #100 on: 02/13/2022 06:09 pm »
Write up on Starship in Politico, which covers US public affairs. A pretty good piece but this part made me giggle.

Could this lobbyist be the infamous LT?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/12/elon-musk-space-freaking-out-competitors-00008441

>
But NASA officials - and their longtime aerospace contractors - are watching with a mix of awe and horror.

“They are sh***ing the bed,” said a top Washington space lobbyist who works for SpaceX’s competitors and asked for anonymity to avoid upsetting his clients.
>
« Last Edit: 02/13/2022 06:12 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline rpapo

« Reply #101 on: 02/13/2022 07:27 pm »
Write up on Starship in Politico, which covers US public affairs. A pretty good piece but this part made me giggle.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/12/elon-musk-space-freaking-out-competitors-00008441

>
But NASA officials - and their longtime aerospace contractors - are watching with a mix of awe and horror.

“They are sh***ing the bed,” said a top Washington space lobbyist who works for SpaceX’s competitors and asked for anonymity to avoid upsetting his clients.
>
The article was fairly accurate, for a mainstream article.  But the writer claimed that Starship has already flown to the "edge of space".  If Starship has, then more than a million people have done it every day... in airliners.  For a number of reasons, including the FAA, Starship didn't fly all that high.

"That makes Starship, which conducted a successful flight to the edge of space last year, especially threatening to the contractors and their allies in Congress."
« Last Edit: 02/13/2022 07:28 pm by rpapo »
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #102 on: 02/13/2022 07:49 pm »
Meh, it was up around 60,000 feet? It's a lot higher than any human could survive in, but definitely not in space. How wide is this edge we are quibbling about? It didn't bother me.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #103 on: 02/13/2022 08:07 pm »
Nah, I believe the highest it got was around 12 km which is just a few hundred feet below 40k feet. 60k feet is around 18.3 km.
« Last Edit: 02/13/2022 08:08 pm by DaveS »
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #104 on: 02/13/2022 11:48 pm »

>

>
Rand Simberg, who was quoted in the article also, says he asked the author, Bryan Bender, point blank whether the "potty-mouthed D.C. lobbyist" was Loren Thompson. According to Simberg, Bender responded, “No lol. No one listens to Loren any more.”

Haha!!

Offline su27k

Offline GreenEnvy22

• Niagara, Canada
  • Liked: 155
« Reply #106 on: 03/14/2022 02:18 am »
NBC coverage.
Other than a few minor inaccuracies like the engine count on starship, actually a pretty decent piece.

Offline Alvian@IDN

« Reply #107 on: 03/14/2022 03:35 am »
NBC coverage.
Other than a few minor inaccuracies like the engine count on starship, actually a pretty decent piece.

When you have knowledgeable folks like Michael Sheetz in your media, your coverage wouldn't be bad
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
« Reply #108 on: 07/13/2022 02:25 am »
Gotta love CNBC taking NSF's video, cropping out the watermark, and making fun of commentators, while their own commentators seem hopelessly unprepared and confused about what they're even looking at:

Offline Echo_Jex

• California, USA
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #109 on: 07/13/2022 09:04 pm »
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/spacex-starship-booster-probably-returning-pad-after-explosion-elon-musk-2022-07-13/

This might not be covering a lot of content, but I feel like the tone of this article briefly covering the B7 anomaly was very fair.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #110 on: 07/14/2022 01:30 am »
Gotta love CNBC taking NSF's video, cropping out the watermark, and making fun of commentators, while their own commentators seem hopelessly unprepared and confused about what they're even looking at:

NSF staff have formally responded to this incident.

Offline Oersted

« Reply #111 on: 07/20/2022 07:06 pm »
NSF should just give a blanket denial to those guys using any NSF footage in the future. Dimwit MSM...

Offline su27k

« Reply #112 on: 09/16/2022 03:57 am »
Northrop Grumman exec says SpaceX’s Starship rocket has ‘awesome’ potential but ‘not there yet’

Quote from: CNBC
“We’re working with SpaceX — Starship is going to be an awesome capability,” Rob Hauge, president of Northrop Grumman’s SpaceLogistics, said during a panel at the annual World Satellite Business Week conference on Wednesday

But, speaking to CNBC after the panel, Hauge said that while “Starship will be helpful,” SpaceX has yet to reach orbit with a prototype of the rocket.

“There’s still a lot of work to do ... we need to see a mature launch vehicle,” Hauge told CNBC. “Starship is not there yet.”

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1590
« Reply #113 on: 09/16/2022 04:11 am »
Thanks for clearing that up, Bob.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #114 on: 09/16/2022 04:13 am »
Better than many who are still fairly dismissive. And accurate. Accurate things are almost always boring.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline volker2020

• Frankfurt, Germany
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 832
« Reply #115 on: 09/16/2022 05:23 am »

I really think that is good news! For a long while, you got the impression that the industry did handle StarShip like the h-4 spruce goose. A vanity project, that will never have economic impact. If you take StarShip serious, a lot of decisions taken (take SLS, Ariane 6, Mobile Infrastructure Investments, ...) look rather short sighted.

His comments are clearly not flattering, but apart from some skepticism being realistic at least he accept the possibility that StarShip could work and could end up with massive cost savings for the $ per ton to orbit benchmark. So it seems that there is a rethinking in the industry here, and that can only be good.

Offline su27k

« Reply #116 on: 11/24/2022 02:34 am »
King of rockets, NASA’s SLS could soon be usurped by SpaceX’s Starship

Quote from: orlandosentinel.com
That future, though, could see Elon Musk’s in-development Starship with Super Heavy booster for SpaceX not only take the title of most powerful rocket to make it to orbit but also be considered as an alternative for crew and cargo launch capability.

Using 33 of SpaceX’s new Raptor 2 engines, the Super Heavy booster will produce 17 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, which is nearly double that seen, heard and felt on the Artemis I launch.

Offline su27k

« Reply #117 on: 12/05/2022 01:29 pm »
SpaceX Plans to Beat NASA in Launching the Biggest Rocket Ever

Quote from: time.com
NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) moon rocket officially became the most powerful rocket ever flown when it lifted off in the early morning hours of Nov. 16, putting out a prodigious 4 million kg (8.8 million lbs) of thrust. That comfortably beat the old record holder—the Apollo era’s Saturn 5, with its 3.4 million kg (7.5 million lbs) of thrust.

But the SLS won’t hold that title for long. As Space.com reports, earlier this week, SpaceX successfully test-fired 11 of the 33 engines on its Brobdingnagian Super Heavy rocket, a beast of a machine that, when all of its engines are lit, will produce more than 7.25 million kg (16 million lbs) of thrust, nearly double that of the SLS. The Super Heavy stands 69 m (230 ft.) tall, and serves as the first stage carrying the 50 m (164 ft) Starship spacecraft. The entire stack, also known as Starship, stands nearly 40 stories tall—again easily beating out the SLS’s 32 stories.

Offline su27k

« Reply #118 on: 12/24/2022 02:56 am »
Elon Musk’s SpaceX Prepares for Starship Launch

Quote from: WSJ
SpaceX is gearing up for a key test of its immense rocket that is designed for commercial launches, as well as the Mars mission Elon Musk has long sought.

Near a beach east of Brownsville, Texas, employees at Mr. Musk’s space company are preparing for the inaugural orbital flight of Starship, the towering rocket system the company has been developing for years to one day launch into deep space. The initial test mission would last around 90 minutes, beginning with a fiery blast of the ship’s booster over the Gulf of Mexico, SpaceX has said in a regulatory filing.

Offline su27k

« Reply #119 on: 02/07/2023 03:07 am »
Bigger, faster, farther: A batch of new rockets is set to blast into space this year

Quote from: nbcnews.com
Starship

Few rockets attract the kind of curiosity and awe that SpaceX’s behemoth Starship does.

Standing at a towering 394 feet (with a 164-foot-tall spacecraft also known as Starship attached), the fully stacked launch vehicle is taller than NASA’s retired Saturn V rocket that was used during the Apollo moon program, as well as the agency’s new Space Launch System.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #121 on: 05/09/2023 01:45 am »
SpaceX wants this supersized rocket to fly. But will investors send it to the Moon?

Quote from: NPR article extract
But Starship will take multiple years to bring to market, and it likely will need additional money, says analyst Chris Quilty. Given the troubles in the tech sector, it makes sense that SpaceX would try and stretch its existing cash for now. "SpaceX is probably betting that market conditions will be better next year," he says. But that strategy carries risks: If the economy slips into a prolonged recession, Quilty warns, "they could find themselves out of cash and out of runway."
Sigh, just who is going to launch most of the NASA, DoD & NRO payloads along with most of the commercial comsats for the next few years? Payloads that is already funded and in the pipeline. Mr Quilty's analysis seems to be too myopic, IMO.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #122 on: 05/09/2023 03:10 am »
Who tf is this guy? Edit: Chris Quilty looks to be an analyst specializing in the space sector.

BTW, Ed Kyle, your old website statistics were super good. You could get a side gig as an analyst and beat most of these guys.

EDIT: Caleb Henry was a pretty good journalist, now working for Quilty, so that's something in favor of them...

...however, I'm not really sure it's all about capital-raises right now. Launch is normally not a huge money maker, but Falcon 9 OWNS the market at the moment, everyone is going to SpaceX for launch (even Europe), and Starlink is starting to hold its own on revenue, so I honestly don't know that they actually need to do a capital raise soon.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2023 03:52 am by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8781
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #124 on: 05/09/2023 03:24 am »
« Last Edit: 05/09/2023 03:28 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #125 on: 05/09/2023 03:47 am »
Actually, that article had a ton of really good analysts on there. McDowell (who definitely knows what he's talking about), Lori Garver, etc. I think Carissa Christensen of BryceTech is right here:
""SpaceX has consistently raised money – and even in this more constrained environment seems to be able to raise substantial amounts," says Carissa Christensen, the CEO of BryceTech, an analytics and engineering firm."

It's really hard to exaggerate just how far ahead SpaceX is with Falcon 9 alone (and how much hardware they had to blow up to get to the reuse moat they have now). This isn't Astra; SpaceX is launching around twice a week, sometimes with two of the 3 biggest rockets in the world, and in nearly every other case don't need to expend anything but the upper stage. They are making pretty substantial money from this, from Dragon, from Starlink.

Overall, a good article.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2023 03:51 am by Robotbeat »

Offline Eric Hedman

« Reply #126 on: 05/09/2023 01:42 pm »
StarLink has now reached 1.5 million subscribers: https://www.neowin.net/news/starlink-now-has-more-than-15-million-subscribers-globally/

I can imagine that is becoming a significant revenue stream for them.  Of course we don't know how much their costs are for delivering this service.  I imagine this growth would draw in more investors if they need them because of the potential for making a lot of money.

Offline Eric Hedman

« Reply #127 on: 05/09/2023 02:13 pm »
When the mainstream media covers space topics, I'm not surprised when they get some basic things wrong just like they do at times on other topics.  When they don't follow an industry regularly, they just don't know a lot of the details us space junkies do to ask the right questions.  They do however get access at times that the space niche media do not.

A couple of years ago, I had a chance encounter and a conversation about space with Soledad O'Brien https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soledad_O'Brien.   I was having a conversation with a friend at an outdoor cafe who asked me, "What's going on in space these days?" just as she walked by and overheard the question.  That led to a half hour very interesting conversation with her.  She had just filmed an episode for her show All that Matters, nationally syndicated through Hearst, where she had interviewed Bob Cabana at KSC and had filmed inside the factory making satellites for OneWeb.   I never saw the episode to judge how well done it was.  What I do like when the mainstream media covers space is that they tend to get access to things we often wouldn't otherwise see.  When they do get things wrong, it's not unexpected considering it's often out of their wheelhouse.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #128 on: 07/08/2023 02:37 pm »

Online catdlr

« Reply #129 on: 11/21/2023 08:00 am »
Starship Just Took One Step Closer to Mars

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
« Reply #130 on: 11/21/2023 01:48 pm »

Just to clarify, Newsthink isn't mainstream news. It's a tech-focused video essay channel run by one woman, and a significant number of her videos are Elon Musk-related.

Offline steveleach

« Reply #131 on: 11/21/2023 02:45 pm »
The BBC pinged me about it at the time, but I forgot to mention it here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67462116

Online catdlr

« Reply #132 on: 11/21/2023 08:32 pm »

Just to clarify, Newsthink isn't mainstream news. It's a tech-focused video essay channel run by one woman, and a significant number of her videos are Elon Musk-related.

StevenOBrien
Agreed, I just didn't know where to post that.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 865
  • Likes Given: 1727
« Reply #133 on: 11/21/2023 08:47 pm »
From Deutsche Welle (DW), a long way to go before Germany has a more constructive and positive view of (space) tech innovation in progress. Really funny to see another DW article a day later that they still want to be an engine of innovation in Europe, the irony.
https://www.dw.com/en/spacex-starship-rocket-explodes-on-second-test-flight/video-67481286
« Last Edit: 11/21/2023 08:48 pm by leovinus »

Online edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9325
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #134 on: 11/22/2023 10:55 am »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement