Author Topic: Virgin Orbit LauncherOne : Orbital Test Flight : Discussion  (Read 24489 times)

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72416
EDIT May 26
Launch failure discussion, and other discussion, belongs in this thread.

Launch failure updates belong in the updates thread.

Cross-post for discussion:
Virgin Orbit’s first launch could happen later this month
Dan Hart, Virgin Orbit’s CEO, said the company is on track for the rocket’s first demonstration launch in May.

But the company does not plan to provide a live webcast for the LauncherOne demonstration flight. Instead, Virgin Orbit will release updates on social media as the flight progresses, Hart said.

“On this flight, we’ll have updates,” he said. “I don’t think we’ll have continuous video for this first launch. But we’ll be pushing things out as far as how we’re doing in ground processing, where we are in taxiing, and how we’re doing as we go through the flight.”

Hart said Virgin Orbit is looking at producing live video streams for the public on future missions.

“It’s just, for this first one, there’s so much for us to track and get our arms around, it adds another level of complexity that we just didn’t want to get into,” Hart said.

Could private planes, or local TV news channel helicopters, stage outside the NOTAM zone, parallel to the CA coast, and provide independent launch coverage?

Is anyone actually planning to do this?
« Last Edit: 05/26/2020 06:57 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline TrevorMonty

Dan Hart, Virgin Orbit’s CEO, said the company is on track for the rocket’s first demonstration launch in May.

But the company does not plan to provide a live webcast for the LauncherOne demonstration flight. Instead, Virgin Orbit will release updates on social media as the flight progresses, Hart said.

“On this flight, we’ll have updates,” he said. “I don’t think we’ll have continuous video for this first launch. But we’ll be pushing things out as far as how we’re doing in ground processing, where we are in taxiing, and how we’re doing as we go through the flight.”

Hart said Virgin Orbit is looking at producing live video streams for the public on future missions.

“It’s just, for this first one, there’s so much for us to track and get our arms around, it adds another level of complexity that we just didn’t want to get into,” Hart said.

Could private planes, or local TV news channel helicopters, stage outside the NOTAM zone, parallel to the CA coast, and provide independent launch coverage?

Doubt its of interest to general public.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115

Doubt its of interest to general public.
You underestimate the resourcefulness of NASASpaceflight.com, sir...
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
You underestimate the resourcefulness of NASASpaceflight.com, sir...
Yes, if the traditional print and video news media don't plan and execute live coverage, then it's all the more opportunity for space enthusiasts with general or business aviation connections and webcast savvy.

Hint, hint, please.
« Last Edit: 05/21/2020 01:33 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Scott Manley’s video concerning the test launch:

Offline FlattestEarth

• Usa
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 76
What is the payload?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
What is the payload?
Data collection payload, ballast, and demo cubesat is all weve known for a few years and they haven't elaborated since.

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Good luck to LauncherOne and Virgin Orbit. They're on the first leg of the OTF.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
Oh no :-(

Good job getting to attempt #1!  Onward to #2 !!!

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156
Explosion after ignition?

Offline sevaithan

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Virgin Orbit LauncherOne : Orbital Test Flight : Discussion
« Reply #10 on: 05/25/2020 08:04 pm »
Hopefully they'll release a video eventually. Space is hard.

Offline archae86

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #11 on: 05/25/2020 08:04 pm »
I had both FlightRadar and FlightAware monitoring OBT01 during the attempt.  For this purpose, I deemed FlightRadar to be superior.  With the filter function selected to callsign OBT01, and having clicked on the flight icon to get detailed text display to the left of screen, the first clear indication of the approaching launch I saw in flight data was in Mach, and airspeed, with the Mach rising from about .65 to right about .855 (which is just about the legal limit on a 747-400).  Then the indicated rate of climb skyrocketed, with one reading showing 17,000+ feet/minute and several readings in a row about 10,000.

Now I don't put much credence in the exact rate of climb values, as I think they are just using differences of reported altitude divided by difference in reporting time, so a bit subject to various sampling and error effects.

Still is was a bit thrilling to have the air data indicating the very abrupt launch pullup maneuver. 

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #12 on: 05/25/2020 08:13 pm »
Screenshot of now deleted tweet from VO propulsion engineer.

At least we get to see the tweet even though it's technically deleted. That way, we can see a preliminary cause before they break the actual news.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
« Reply #13 on: 05/25/2020 08:15 pm »
Ah well.  From my few conversations with the team, they knew full well that success is never guaranteed on flight 1, and they had plans for following up a potential failure quickly.  "Hardware-rich" might be an understatement.

I'm fairly certain we'll see them return to try again soon.  I'm less certain we'll ever get good footage/data on what went wrong, but sometimes that's just how it is.

I will say, watching the ADS-B as they throttled up and then pulled up was more exciting than I thought it would be!
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Online starbase

• Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #14 on: 05/25/2020 08:35 pm »
At least stage 0 performed flawlessly...
bit.ly/SpaceLaunchCalendar ☆ bit.ly/SpaceEventCalendar

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #15 on: 05/25/2020 08:52 pm »
Does anyone know, what the name of the test payload would have been?

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 05/25/2020 09:35 pm »
Will the next launch be a re-flight of a dummy payload, or will Virgin proceed with the ELaNa 20 payload?
Launch date may slip.

Scheduled:
Date - Satellite(s) - Rocket - Launch Site - Time (UTC)

NET    July 1   August 14 - ELaNa XX: CACTUS 1, CAPE 3, ExoCube 2 (CP 12), INCA, MiTEE 1, PICS 1, PICS 2, PolarCube, Q-PACE, RadFxSat 2 (Fox 1E), TechEdSat 7 - LauncherOne (flight 2) - Runway 12/30 Mojave Air and Space Port, Boeing 747 "Cosmic Girl"

Changes on May 24th
« Last Edit: 05/26/2020 03:02 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #17 on: 05/25/2020 11:03 pm »
Anyone know if it broke up due to aero loads, self-destructed on command, or exploded after ignition?

The white cloud in the pictures can be either smoker or vapor - but it looks large, whatever that means.
« Last Edit: 05/25/2020 11:04 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #18 on: 05/25/2020 11:12 pm »
Anyone know if it broke up due to aero loads, self-destructed on command, or exploded after ignition?

The white cloud in the pictures can be either smoker or vapor - but it looks large, whatever that means.
Answer presently restricted to L2 can be found here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38947.msg2086661#msg2086661
« Last Edit: 05/25/2020 11:13 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline ellindsey

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #19 on: 05/26/2020 12:49 am »
On the high-resolution image, that flame does not look right.  Far too bright and uneven, like the engine is just spraying out fuel that's burning in the air and not producing useful thrust.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography