Author Topic: L2 Intro Page - September 2016 onwards  (Read 107048 times)

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4412
  • Likes Given: 2691
Re: L2 Intro Page - September 2016 onwards
« Reply #40 on: 10/28/2020 07:28 pm »
Hey, I paid for two months of L2 yesterday, sent the PM, still haven't gotten access.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #41 on: 10/28/2020 07:47 pm »
Hey, I paid for two months of L2 yesterday, sent the PM, still haven't gotten access.

Check your messages! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4412
  • Likes Given: 2691
« Reply #42 on: 10/28/2020 07:59 pm »

Check your messages! :)
Thanks!

Offline Skyway

• Brazil
  • Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #43 on: 02/23/2021 04:48 pm »
Hi Chris, I have a question/proposal.

I fully understand that the amount charged for the annual subscription is consistent with what this space delivers even outside the L2 section. I can only imagine how fair this value is within section L2.

However, this value ends up being very heavy for members of other countries who have the same interest and often a good experience to share but is unable to pay the amount proposed per year simply because it becomes prohibitive after the exchange rate conversion.

For example, 100 US dollars weighs in an American's pocket as much as 100 Reais weighs in a Brazilian's pocket (my case). I could spend 100 reais annually to access the L2, without problems. However, that 100 US Dollars becomes 543 Reais if I sign the annual plan TODAY. (1 US Dollar = 5.43 Reais). And believe me, this weighs in the pocket of a Brazilian in the same way that 543 American Dollars weighs in the pocket of an American.

Is there a possibility to freeze the number, but not the value, for countries with a significant exchange rate difference? Example: In the USA I pay 100 American Dollars, but in Brazil, I pay 100 Reais. There would not be many countries, as the vast majority have an equivalent exchange rate with the value of the US Dollar, so I believe that it would not impact the revenue of the site (It is not my intention to propose something that affects the revenue of the site just so that the value becomes realistic for us. I'm sorry if it looks like that).

Thank you very much for your attention.
Everything is fail-proof until it fails.

Offline StarshipSLS

• Image: NASA, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
  • PA
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #44 on: 05/29/2021 06:11 pm »
What are the benefits of L2?
I love space very much. I like best NASA and SpaceX programs.

Offline Elisar

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: 09/08/2022 06:23 am »
I come from Discord, is this where I check for L2 access?

Online Chris Bergin

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Thrustpuzzle

• Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #47 on: 11/23/2023 08:41 am »
The L2 signup store currently says 12 month subscriptions are "sold out". 3 and 6 months are still available.
I assume this is just a shopping site misconfiguration?

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #48 on: 11/23/2023 08:49 am »
The L2 signup store currently says 12 month subscriptions are "sold out". 3 and 6 months are still available.

GO for a lifetime membership, it's still available.  You'll never regret it.  I got mine in 2008, for the same price.  It's a bargain now (no inflation).

https://shop.nasaspaceflight.com/products/nsf-l2-lifetime-subscription
« Last Edit: 11/23/2023 08:51 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #49 on: 11/23/2023 10:12 am »

That's a mistake :D

I've asked the store team to sort it out. One moment!

And sorted now!
« Last Edit: 11/23/2023 10:19 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 2128
« Reply #50 on: 01/14/2024 11:42 pm »
100 US dollars weighs in an American's pocket as much as 100 Reais weighs in a Brazilian's pocket (my case). I could spend 100 reais annually to access the L2, without problems. However, that 100 US Dollars becomes 543 Reais if I sign the annual plan TODAY. (1 US Dollar = 5.43 Reais). And believe me, this weighs in the pocket of a Brazilian in the same way that 543 American Dollars weighs in the pocket of an American.

Is there a possibility to freeze the number, but not the value, for countries with a significant exchange rate difference? Example: In the USA I pay 100 American Dollars, but in Brazil, I pay 100 Reais.

Skyway's proposal may work for Brazil but wouldn't work for every country since currencies vary widely in how much 1 unit buys. Here are two better ways to accomplish the goal of Skyway's request of making L2 cheaper in poorer countries. The first option would be multiplying the price by GDP_per_capita(member's country) / GDP_per_capita(US), which roughly means that L2 would cost everyone the same fraction of the average income in their country. The second option would be using purchasing power parity (PPP) exchange rates, which roughly speaking means the number of hamburgers and haircuts one can buy for the price of L2 would be the same in all countries. Either option would reduce prices in poor countries relative to rich countries, the first option by up to ~100x and the second option by up to ~4x. These adjustments could raise prices in a few rich countries a bit so Chris would need to decide if he wants to cap the price at no more than the US price.

However I'm not sure there's a reliable way to determine what country someone is in so people don't lie about their country to get a cheaper price.

Offline Eer

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #51 on: 01/15/2024 01:34 am »
100 US dollars weighs in an American's pocket as much as 100 Reais weighs in a Brazilian's pocket (my case). I could spend 100 reais annually to access the L2, without problems. However, that 100 US Dollars becomes 543 Reais if I sign the annual plan TODAY. (1 US Dollar = 5.43 Reais). And believe me, this weighs in the pocket of a Brazilian in the same way that 543 American Dollars weighs in the pocket of an American.

Is there a possibility to freeze the number, but not the value, for countries with a significant exchange rate difference? Example: In the USA I pay 100 American Dollars, but in Brazil, I pay 100 Reais.

Skyway's proposal may work for Brazil but wouldn't work for every country since currencies vary widely in how much 1 unit buys. Here are two better ways to accomplish the goal of Skyway's request of making L2 cheaper in poorer countries. The first option would be multiplying the price by GDP_per_capita(member's country) / GDP_per_capita(US), which roughly means that L2 would cost everyone the same fraction of the average income in their country. The second option would be using purchasing power parity (PPP) exchange rates, which roughly speaking means the number of hamburgers and haircuts one can buy for the price of L2 would be the same in all countries. Either option would reduce prices in poor countries relative to rich countries, the first option by up to ~100x and the second option by up to ~4x. These adjustments could raise prices in a few rich countries a bit so Chris would need to decide if he wants to cap the price at no more than the US price.

However I'm not sure there's a reliable way to determine what country someone is in so people don't lie about their country to get a cheaper price.

The Economist publishes such an index:

1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
2) https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography