Author Topic: NSF at 13  (Read 8856 times)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Re: NSF at 13
« Reply #20 on: 04/17/2018 07:01 pm »
I was forwarded a link to a story in early December, 2005...this is what it looked like at the time:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051231000849/http://www.nasaspaceflight.com:80/content/?id=4115

Today, it's here:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2005/12/discovery-leak-under-investigation/

I was already aware of the site, but this forced me to join.  After nearly 25 years of missions, it was kind of shocking that someone was actually reporting to that level of detail and frequency...so it turns out the Internet isn't all bad.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #21 on: 04/17/2018 07:34 pm »
Joined in February 2008, so recently celebrated my first decade here.

Surely enough, ask whatever space-related question, be sure somebody will answer sooner rather than later with the most detailed answer you can dream about.

What says a lot about this forum quality (and good moderation) is how *famous* people from the space program (some I red the names in books) gently answer questions, however stupid they are. This really blows my mind.

Here is an example: where on Earth bar this forum could I've asked somebody like HMXHMX (which real name and achievements we all know about  8) ) details about the Percheron rocket he build ? (I wasn't even born, damn it !)

People like David Baker, Asif Siddiqui, Bart Hendrickx and many, many others actually have an account here. Pretty cool when you think about it. You read their books, then you can ask them further details  :D 
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #22 on: 04/18/2018 12:32 am »
In the period just after Columbia I continually scoured the web for any information that I could find and the future RTF. I came across a little gem of a website called Nasaspaceflight.com. The topics were timely and the conversations were balanced and informed. Looking at future options post Shuttle the DIRECT discussions were fascinating and seemingly a sensible path forward. Following the Augustine hearings and discussions proved revealing on what was behind  the paralysis at NASA. We soon started to hear about some guy with a few bucks that wanted to launch his own rockets that turned the industry on it's head with SpaceX. Commercial spaceflight is alive and growing and soon we'll see American crews launching from US soil once again. The return to the Moon and the first boots on Mars potentially looms in the hopefully near future. NSF you've covered so much with your talented reporters and writers under the watchful guidance of Chris Bergin, who has given so much of himself to provide us with a forum to express ourselves and to be inspired on this great journey outward from our earthly cradle... Happy 13th and many more to come...

~Rob
Lifetime L2 member
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #23 on: 04/18/2018 05:07 pm »
I joined this site in January of 2007. I found out about it from a now-nonexistent site called "Marsdrive". Someone had referenced this site and I quickly learned how many space experts post here.

Here's to another 13 years of this site!
e^(pi*i) = -1

Offline apollolanding

• Veteran
  • Member Since 2006-04-10
  • New Jersey
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #24 on: 04/18/2018 05:17 pm »
I joined in March 2006.  I'm not as active as I once was due to life, career changes, etc. but I still come here regularly for my spaceflight fix!  Here's to the next 13!
Proud Member of NSF Since 2006-04-10.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #25 on: 04/18/2018 06:29 pm »
My favorite section, by the way, is "Historical spaceflight".

Well, it shows in my stats :p  (to all: check your profile statistics, it's pretty fun. Looks I'm forum number 2302)   8)

Historical Spaceflight
    761 posts (33.06%)

Advanced Concepts
    253  (10.99%)

General Discussion
    176 (7.65%)

Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle (HLV/SLS)
    159  (6.91%)

Missions To The Moon (HSF)
    125 posts (5.43%)

Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies
    109  posts (4.74%)

Commercial Space Flight General
    87 (3.78%)

Space Science Coverage
    76 posts (3.30%)

Space Policy Discussion
    68 posts (2.95%)

Live Event Section - Latest Space Flight News
    66 posts (2.87%)
« Last Edit: 04/18/2018 07:03 pm by Archibald »

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #26 on: 04/18/2018 06:47 pm »
My favorite section is the "Education" section, better known as the entire NSF. I am so better informed due to the efforts of the BTDT (been there, dome that) people and so many others. I've gone from thinking I know something about spaceflight to realizing how much more there is to learn, past and future.

Thanks!

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81673
  • Likes Given: 36940
« Reply #27 on: 04/19/2018 12:21 pm »
From my NSF 10 years old congratulations post:

I registered almost exactly 5 [now 8] years ago. IIRC I googled something, found an NSF thread and then registered so I could access the attachments! I posted four times in the first 6 months and then nothing for 2.5 years. To be honest I was too intimidated by the depth of knowledge shown by people posting on the site.

With just 4 posts in the first 3 years, it would appear that I don’t feel so intimidated now :D

As others have said, I’ve learnt and continue to learn so much from the amazing NSF community. If I want to learn about anything spaceflight related, or just catch up on the latest news, this is always the first place I look.

Thank you again Chris. You may have had no idea what you were starting, but thousands of people have benefited from your endeavours and we are all very grateful that you did!

Offline Archibald

« Reply #28 on: 04/19/2018 05:06 pm »
To be honest I was too intimidated by the depth of knowledge shown by people posting on the site

Me too, although it did not lasted too long   ;D

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #29 on: 04/19/2018 06:13 pm »
having experienced the old sci.space.policy newsgroups and the state of what forums there were when NSF rolled out, it was a real breath of fresh air. Having all these experts talking to those of us that aren't so expert, seeing collaborations that really were positive and on various levels have affected the course of spaceflight. It's been a treat. here's to the next decade.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #30 on: 04/19/2018 06:29 pm »

To echo and bolster what others have said, I've learned so much from this site, and want to thank Chris and all of the folks whole share their knowledge.  Not only the NSF staff, but the posters as well.  I had to look back to find my first post--almost exactly 10 years ago to the day! (April 22, 2008).  I lurked for two years before that before finally gathering the gumption to say something.
Met ChrisG and other NSFers ("staff" and members and some fascinating people) at the STS-130 launch dinner, and watched the Atlas V launch of SDO from Kars thanks to guidance from members on NSF.
Keep up the good work--I promise to keep my posts as on topic, informed and snark-less as possible!  Here's to the next lucky 13...

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8740
« Reply #31 on: 04/20/2018 03:18 am »
Food for thought: at the end of the next 13 years, we will probably need a NSF representative on Mars!  Chris?
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Archibald

« Reply #32 on: 04/20/2018 05:33 am »
having experienced the old sci.space.policy newsgroups and the state of what forums there were when NSF rolled out, it was a real breath of fresh air.

Oh gosh, never been a member of these ones, but I come across some of the "discussions" doing research on the web. WTH. The trolls there were far beyond insanity - "where no troll has gone before" Nowadays these people are on Reddit or The Space Review comment section  ::)

Fortunately, NSF has the ultimate weapon against them: the JIM member :)  He is our very own Van Helsing, except he chase trolls rather than Draculas.

Food for thought: at the end of the next 13 years, we will probably need a NSF representative on Mars!

The neat things with internet discussion forums is that they don't care about the speed of light or the distance between Earth and Mars. I mean, when you post something, you know the answer won't be immediate - in fact you wait a little - as if the answer was coming from Mars.

Hell maybe some people are already posting from Mars, and we don't even know  8)  How about that ?

Sometimes I also wonder if Elon Musk isn't lurking here, under a concealed identity of course, and we don't even know. He would have a lot of fun, really.
All he would need would be an ordinary I.P address, an ordinary computer, and a random pseudo - "spacecadet" or something like this.
How could we guess Saint Elon is among us, really ?
« Last Edit: 04/20/2018 05:42 am by Archibald »

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #33 on: 04/21/2018 01:56 pm »
If he was; he'd probably be equal parts embarrassed by the 'amazing peoples', eye-rolling over some of the guessing, and probably a little annoyed by some of the criticisms both meant constructively and made in ignorance. He'd be human, in other words... ;)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #34 on: 04/24/2018 01:03 pm »
Congrats Chris and team!

I don't get to internet all the time, but when I do, I NASA SpaceFlight.com.

Paul

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #35 on: 04/28/2018 03:32 am »
Wow! Congrats Chris and the NSF team. I've been coming here since 2008 when a coworker at USA forwarded me an article. Still my favorite site for all things space. Great articles and unparalleled community.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography