Author Topic: May 2021 Pentagon Report on UAP/UFO Sightings, followup: updates and discussion  (Read 98641 times)

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2181
Re: Upcoming (May 2021) Pentagon Report on UAP/UFO Sightings
« Reply #20 on: 05/19/2021 08:54 am »
I want to keep this focused on hard news and factual sightings or events.

Do you?

Performance is well beyond any known aircraft technologies and seem to defy the laws of known physics too. [...]
[...]But I suspect that the government has much higher quality materials

Apparently not.

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 4080
« Reply #21 on: 05/19/2021 11:10 am »
Can someone please link the various videos in question?
Preferably a link to just the military videos and not some long-winded explanation video.

Just the facts, ma'am.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #22 on: 05/19/2021 11:20 am »
Preferably a link to just the military videos and not some long-winded explanation video.

Just the facts, ma'am.
Did you visit the links in the first post?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Nascent Ascent

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #23 on: 05/19/2021 11:29 am »

Just the facts, ma'am.

Uh.. That is what I did.

Here's another link.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/former-intelligence-chief-quite-a-few-more-ufos-detected-than-public-knows

It is clear to me that the government is about to finally admit that these sightings are legit and that they have no idea what they are.

And by legit I mean these are not the delusions of individuals, not yet explainable by any known cause like weather balloons, Venus, US military technology, temperature inversions, mirages, etc.

This will be a change from prior government positions and statements.

Just the other night former President Obama made some interesting comments...

Former President Barack Obama acknowledged the existence of UFOs days after a 60 Minutes special featured Navy pilots and their witness accounts with such objects.

"When it comes to aliens, there are some things I just can’t tell you on air," Obama said during a Tuesday episode of The Late Late Show with James Corden, when asked if he had a theory about the origin of various unidentified flying objects seen over the years.

"Look, the truth is that when I came into office, I asked," he continued. "I was like, 'All right, is there the lab somewhere where we’re keeping the alien specimens and spaceships?' They did a little bit of research …. and the answer was, 'No.'"

"But what is true — and I’m actually being serious here — is that there’s footage and records of objects in the skies that we don’t know exactly what they are," the former president said.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 11:31 am by Nascent Ascent »

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 530
« Reply #24 on: 05/19/2021 11:30 am »
Honestl;y, I don't think that the witnesses being trained fighter pilots adds that much to the credibility of the reports. They may be superbly trained and experienced, but it's as fighter pilots. In the cockpit they take in all the inputs and evaluate them in the context of Is it going to shoot me down?/Should I shoot it down?, Is it going to attack the fleet?/Should I shoot it down?, Should I run?/Should I chase?, etc. Their neural nets have been trained with the bias of performing their military duties of offense and defense as well as possible. When you're a hammer, every problem is a nail. I think that the cat and laser pointer analogy mentioned above is spot on. With cats, everything that moves away quickly is dinner trying to avoid being eaten.

When neural nets that are very strongly trained for one kind of discrimination are presented with completely new data than what they encountered in the training set, funny things will happen. Remember the story about the ball tracking camera that locked onto the referee's bald head for the entire game? Or the tank detection software that was actually determining if the sun was out or hidden behind clouds?

So while I have no opinion one way or another about the flying tic-tac (insufficient data), I think that the constant refrain about highly-trained Navy pilots doesn't actually add anything to deciphering what they saw, other than possible data about their biases.

Offline Nascent Ascent

« Reply #25 on: 05/19/2021 11:41 am »
If it were only the statements of one fighter pilot I would agree with you. Here we have four pilots seeing and experiencing the same event. Plus, they have radar tracking data. Plus they have FLIR recordings.  And they have these data over multiple days.

https://www.newsweek.com/5-past-ufo-sightings-uap-report-task-force-1592053

Absolutely there's insufficient data. That is why these events are called unidentified aerial phenomena.

I don't think any of these people coming forth are trying to suggest alien encounters. In fact, these pilots were subjected to ridicule by their peers (just as some have done here). The one pilot said, if she had encountered this alone, she doubts she would have even mentioned it.

The only reason I posted this topic was to discuss what technical or scientific approaches might be employed to obtain sufficient data.

Honestl;y, I don't think that the witnesses being trained fighter pilots adds that much to the credibility of the reports. They may be superbly trained and experienced, but it's as fighter pilots. In the cockpit they take in all the inputs and evaluate them in the context of Is it going to shoot me down?/Should I shoot it down?, Is it going to attack the fleet?/Should I shoot it down?, Should I run?/Should I chase?, etc. Their neural nets have been trained with the bias of performing their military duties of offense and defense as well as possible. When you're a hammer, every problem is a nail. I think that the cat and laser pointer analogy mentioned above is spot on. With cats, everything that moves away quickly is dinner trying to avoid being eaten.

When neural nets that are very strongly trained for one kind of discrimination are presented with completely new data than what they encountered in the training set, funny things will happen. Remember the story about the ball tracking camera that locked onto the referee's bald head for the entire game? Or the tank detection software that was actually determining if the sun was out or hidden behind clouds?

So while I have no opinion one way or another about the flying tic-tac (insufficient data), I think that the constant refrain about highly-trained Navy pilots doesn't actually add anything to deciphering what they saw, other than possible data about their biases.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 11:53 am by Nascent Ascent »

Offline Nascent Ascent

« Reply #26 on: 05/19/2021 11:43 am »
I want to keep this focused on hard news and factual sightings or events.

Do you?

Performance is well beyond any known aircraft technologies and seem to defy the laws of known physics too. [...]
[...]But I suspect that the government has much higher quality materials

Apparently not.

Well the report is supposedly going to be released before June. So, apparently I am going to wait until then before further judgement.

One other point... There has been a continuing and increasing pattern of statements being made by government sources. The latest being Obama's statement the other night. I don't know why this would be. But it seems to me (opinion here) that it is a planned campaign of information release. Essentially, prepping the American public for the announcement that they have no idea what is going on.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 11:49 am by Nascent Ascent »

Offline electricdawn

• Liked: 614
  • Likes Given: 1478
« Reply #27 on: 05/19/2021 12:27 pm »
One or two things that no UFO-adherent has ever been able to answer:

If there are truly alien crafts out there that visit us on a regular basis, why have we - in the day of the internet and smart phones whose cameras put professional cameras from two decades ago to shame - NEVER, EVER seen a sharp, focused picture of an alien craft?

Why do alien craft that have seemingly unlimited possibilities show themselves under the weirdest circumstances when they obviously could just turn on their infinity drive and super cloak and hide from us ALL THE TIME? Why are they so bad at hiding?

And lastly, what is the purpose of all that? Why not just show themselves in plain sight?

Trust me, I'm pretty sure there's lots of worlds out there that harbor intelligent life. But none of that has ever visited us.

Offline Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 240
« Reply #28 on: 05/19/2021 12:37 pm »
I think there is too much focus on aliens and alien spacecraft....

IMHO, all that is being reported is some Object that’s Unidentified that appears to be Flying...

An  Unidentified Flying Object ....

Let’s leave the little green men out of this ....

Offline electricdawn

« Reply #29 on: 05/19/2021 12:45 pm »
Ok, let's leave them out. What else could it be that uses seemingly impossible technology? Like anti-gravity drives and cloaking (that, of course fails at the most inopportune moment)...

Who can reasonably own such technologies that nobody else seems to have? And why would that be totally realistic?

Edit: And please don't mention the moon Nazis... ;)
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 12:49 pm by electricdawn »

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 2574
« Reply #31 on: 05/19/2021 12:55 pm »
It's all nonsense, always has been. I have been following the subject for many years. Even seasoned "UFO researchers" say the vast majority of sightings are simple phenomenon, misinterpreted.

People are really, really good at thinking they see things that are not there, this is not limited to UFOs. (Check out the "Mars mushrooms"). It's known as pareidolia.

No one has ever given a credible reason why super-advanced aliens would travel 1000's of light years just to play hide and seek with Navy pilots. Would a human travel to the other side of the world to tease a cat with a laser pointer? Of course not.

When, or if aliens arrive on Earth, it will be damn obvious, we won't be peering at fuzzy blobs on videos.

Or, as a police investigator here in Austria once said in an interview:“The LAST thing I need is an eye witness.“
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 12:55 pm by Hauerg »

Offline electricdawn

« Reply #32 on: 05/19/2021 12:58 pm »
@Nascent Ascent:
Do I need to quote myself? What nation on earth is possessing seemingly impossible technology and is using it ONLY to spy on somebody else? Why would it not use it to simply just conquer everything that is in its way? Or if it is acting more benignly, why does it not use this technology to make everyone's life better?

No UFO-adherent was ever able to answer these simple questions and I don't expect one here.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 12:59 pm by electricdawn »

Offline deadman1204

• USA
  • Liked: 1468
  • Likes Given: 2520
« Reply #33 on: 05/19/2021 01:24 pm »
For over 70 years the US Government has labeled anyone who talks about UFO's a crackpot and now all of a sudden they are admitting they are real. I myself had to hide reports from the Air Force in order to not get psychiatrically examined or worse.

Ummm... the UFO people kinda label themselves as crackpots for us  ;)

Offline Nascent Ascent

« Reply #34 on: 05/19/2021 01:27 pm »
@Nascent Ascent:
Do I need to quote myself? What nation on earth is possessing seemingly impossible technology and is using it ONLY to spy on somebody else? Why would it not use it to simply just conquer everything that is in its way? Or if it is acting more benignly, why does it not use this technology to make everyone's life better?

No UFO-adherent was ever able to answer these simple questions and I don't expect one here.

UFO Adherent?

What does that even mean? Someone who believe in unidentified objects? Or do you mean Alien Visitation Adherents? That is a huge leap with no data to back it up.

You are raising valid questions, but your questions only serve to highlight the problem. You are assuming that there's an intelligence behind these objects.  I make no such assumption. I have no idea what these sightings are. Until we have more data, speculation is just that.

That is why this issue is so perplexing. There doesn't seem to be any rational explanation. If you take these latest sightings (visual, FLIR, radar) at face value there's no current theory that can satisfactorily explain what is being reported.

What I was hoping to get from this thread was a discussion of how could we scientifically obtain more information given the circumstances of these sighting. We have many talented engineers and scientists here.

For example, are there sensor technologies that could be employed? We have visual, IR and radar reports. Are there any technologies that can detect and remotely image magnetic fields? They can detect and image the magnetic fields of sunspots due to the Zeeman effect.

Or perhaps since these things come and go (apparently) would there be any way to sample the air for trace gases or elements once the "thing" leave the vicinity? We must know the coordinates of where these things are being seen. Perhaps fly in a drone afterward to sample the atmosphere?

How about satellite imaging? If these events are being taken seriously you might expect a coordinated effort. One of the military guys said these events happened on a regular basis. If you have these things zipping around 60 miles in a second or two - you would think a satellite could/would pick up some trace.

Maybe there's other sensor technologies out there. Could LIDAR be used?

Offline Nascent Ascent

« Reply #35 on: 05/19/2021 01:29 pm »
Yeah. But we are not discussing UFO crackpots. Or at least, I am not.

For over 70 years the US Government has labeled anyone who talks about UFO's a crackpot and now all of a sudden they are admitting they are real. I myself had to hide reports from the Air Force in order to not get psychiatrically examined or worse.

Ummm... the UFO people kinda label themselves as crackpots for us  ;)
« Last Edit: 05/19/2021 01:31 pm by Nascent Ascent »

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #36 on: 05/19/2021 01:54 pm »
@Nascent Ascent:

UFO Adherent?

What does that even mean? Someone who believe in unidentified objects? Or do you mean Alien Visitation Adherents? That is a huge leap with no data to back it up.

You are raising valid questions, but your questions only serve to highlight the problem. You are assuming that there's an intelligence behind these objects.  I make no such assumption. I have no idea what these sightings are. Until we have more data, speculation is just that.

That is why this issue is so perplexing. There doesn't seem to be any rational explanation. If you take these latest sightings (visual, FLIR, radar) at face value there's no current theory that can satisfactorily explain what is being reported.

What I was hoping to get from this thread was a discussion of how could we scientifically obtain more information given the circumstances of these sighting. We have many talented engineers and scientists here.

For example, are there sensor technologies that could be employed? We have visual, IR and radar reports. Are there any technologies that can detect and remotely image magnetic fields? They can detect and image the magnetic fields of sunspots due to the Zeeman effect.

Or perhaps since these things come and go (apparently) would there be any way to sample the air for trace gases or elements once the "thing" leave the vicinity? We must know the coordinates of where these things are being seen. Perhaps fly in a drone afterward to sample the atmosphere?

How about satellite imaging? If these events are being taken seriously you might expect a coordinated effort. One of the military guys said these events happened on a regular basis. If you have these things zipping around 60 miles in a second or two - you would think a satellite could/would pick up some trace.

Maybe there's other sensor technologies out there. Could LIDAR be used?

What I am hoping to see when the report is released are data on these phenomena correlated across multiple platforms.  If we could see evidence validated across multiple sensor platforms and technologies, i.e. a sighting validated by FLIR, visual imaging, and radar would be a good example.  From what I have heard discussed by some of the interviewees in the media is that some of these encounters were validated across multiple platforms.  Examples with that level of validation would have a lot more credibility and would more precisely characterize the observations that are on record.

Offline VaBlue

• Spotsylvania, VA
  • Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 186
« Reply #37 on: 05/19/2021 02:00 pm »

If there are truly alien crafts out there that visit us on a regular basis, why have we - in the day of the internet and smart phones whose cameras put professional cameras from two decades ago to shame - NEVER, EVER seen a sharp, focused picture of an alien craft?

Why do alien craft that have seemingly unlimited possibilities show themselves under the weirdest circumstances when they obviously could just turn on their infinity drive and super cloak and hide from us ALL THE TIME? Why are they so bad at hiding?

And lastly, what is the purpose of all that? Why not just show themselves in plain sight?

Trust me, I'm pretty sure there's lots of worlds out there that harbor intelligent life. But none of that has ever visited us.

Why do billions of people believe in religion, including many scientists, when there is absolutely ZERO data supporting any of it?

You ask an impossible question - 'why haven't we identified it...'.  Well, maybe nothing exists to identify?  Or maybe the 'technology', or phenomena (if you prefer), hasn't been explored by humans yet?

I also doubt that alien life has visited Earth, but I can't explain what's been seen and recorded by otherwise mature scientific systems and intelligent pilots and scientists - so I'll keep my mind open about the possibility.  Who knows?  Maybe it's swamp gas from Godzilla's farts? 

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #38 on: 05/19/2021 02:22 pm »
My (current) theory is that "genuine" UFOs as seen on instruments by military personal are as a result of highly advanced and highly classified sensor spoofing technology, intended to be used as misdirection against other navies and air forces.

This technology of course needs to be tested, but without revealing its existence, even to one's own side, so occasionally it is secretly used against one's own forces during military exercises or training and the effectiveness measured.

Or, to take the meta one step further, (another layer of tinfoil), the reports could actually be total misinformation, intended to make adversities think that such spoofing technology actually exists, in order to reduce their trust in their own sensor systems during a future conflict.

That has been my feeling as well.  Instrumentation issue or as you say spoofing tech to me seems the most likely cause.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #39 on: 05/19/2021 02:25 pm »

While I agree, have you ever taken a picture with your phone of an aircraft at cruising altitude?  It doesn't come out very clear even with today's phones.

But to your point, we have so many camera's available to the public at least one clear picture should be available by now.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography