Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 1 Live update thread (Nov. 26 attempt)  (Read 65723 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

This will be the live update thread for this launch attempt (1pm West Coast, 9pm UK).

This thread will be where Braddock (our Private Space Flight writer) will be entering live updates from the official media line SpaceX are providing. There is no webcast of any kind apart from the one for the media at the SpaceX HQ.

Current Status:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=4073
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Additional info just in, kindly posted by Keith. (Bringing as much of the required info into one thread).

kcowing - 25/11/2005  1:42 PM

Just got another SpaceX update:

Update 24 Nov 2005 9:10 pm EST: All prelaunch preparation is complete.  The final task of test firing the torch igniters worked on the first attempt, making us green for launch.  Since our launch was bumped by a day to Saturday (California time), we will make tomorrow a shorter day and do some of the optional checkouts of systems that might cause a halt in the countdown.

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Previous SpaceX articles for background:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=38 - SpaceX awarded $100m USAF contract

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=3832 - SpaceX reveals Falcon 1 Halloween date (delayed)

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=3937 - SpaceX sues Lock-Mart and Boeing

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=4062 - SPACEX set maiden flight - goals

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
RE: SpaceX Falcon 1 Live update thread (Nov. 26 attempt)
« Reply #3 on: 11/25/2005 01:54 pm »
All the best to them, although the doubts on the Merlin will prove to be an interesting one to watch.

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 11/25/2005 02:27 pm »
Unusual for the range to be lacking notice to the point of 24 hrs. Happens, but very rare.
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
« Reply #5 on: 11/25/2005 02:35 pm »
I was wondering if perhaps with the rainy weather moving in on the islands, if the Army moved up a higher priority launch to try to get the weather.  I imagine SpaceX has some sort of secondary status on the range.

-braddock

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: 11/25/2005 02:38 pm »
Loving your work, Braddock. Do you know what military launch this is?

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: 11/25/2005 04:57 pm »
60 percent chance of unfavorable weather for tomorrow's launch window.

Offline newsartist

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: 11/25/2005 08:40 pm »
The radar hasn't worked for a bit, but here is the close focus satellite imagery for the islands:

http://www.rts-wx.com/

Offline Ad Astra

« Reply #9 on: 11/25/2005 10:02 pm »
Looks like they had a chance right now. Weather cleared just in the last 30 minutes from what I can see.

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 11/25/2005 10:51 pm »
Well for the last few hours its been like this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the downrange to the North East? If so, the weather was close, but stayed to the other end of the Island. The radar still isn't working to show the rain, so I'm only talking about cloud as if that is where the rain is.

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 11/25/2005 10:54 pm »
The loop (remember, if you aren't viewing this within a short period of me posting this) shows everything mainly stayed to the south, south west of the Island.

http://www.rts-wx.com/satellite/loops/MTSAT-IR.shtml

Offline Orbiter Obvious

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 11/26/2005 03:26 am »
Did anyone find out what the military launch was that held up the range?

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: 11/26/2005 09:20 am »
Some new photos of the beast: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon/f1/prelaunch.html  (sorry if it's been posted)  As an engineer, I just marvel at the PURE SIMPLICITY of their infrastructure... Check out their "erector truck" (and it traveled like that--the rocket on the truck, on a barge from the mainland!!!), and the "flame pit" really a deflection plate, a dozen people for the operations in the trailer with some PCs, all in all.  Granted for a half-a-tonne payload, but still WOW!  If NASA can strive to same standards from the beginnings I'll be happy.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: 11/26/2005 10:21 am »
May I annoy you by saying it would look better with wings ;)

Hope they get it launched tonight.
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline UK Shuttle Clan

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: 11/26/2005 10:25 am »
Any latest on the weather for tonight?

Offline Chris Bergin

lmike - 26/11/2005  10:20 AM

Some new photos of the beast: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon/f1/prelaunch.html  (sorry if it's been posted)  As an engineer, I just marvel at the PURE SIMPLICITY of their infrastructure... Check out their "erector truck" (and it traveled like that--the rocket on the truck, on a barge from the mainland!!!), and the "flame pit" really a deflection plate, a dozen people for the operations in the trailer with some PCs, all in all.  Granted for a half-a-tonne payload, but still WOW!  If NASA can strive to same standards from the beginnings I'll be happy.

Those haven't been posted before, but they're off the SpaceX website where there's a few more - including on of the "rocket on a truck" outside a building in a US city (which I forgot).

Elon's people basically drove their rocket into town! :)

Now one for you engineers out there. Do you feel this is the best low cost "does what it says on the tin" type of rocket? I keep hearing these doubts about the Merlin. Anything you would personally have done different with the mandate they plan for their family of rockets?

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
« Reply #17 on: 11/26/2005 11:08 am »
Elon said that only a total of 25 SpaceX employees would be on the Atoll for the launch.  I'm sure most of them are just watching or on-site as a contingency.  It seems realistic that once Falcon I launches become routine, the entire ground crew might just be a half dozen people.  TGV Rockets have nothing on SpaceX (TGV = Two Guys and a Van - http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=3679 ).

The island weather forcast from the on-site RTS Weather Station as of several hours ago (Saturday evening local time):

TOMORROW
Sunday, November 27, 2005
Weather Forecast: Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers.
High: 87°F
Winds: NE-E at 14-20 knots with higher gusts near showers.

The wind seems a bit high.

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #18 on: 11/26/2005 11:29 am »
The rain percentage is a lot better now but what's the limit with the wind?

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: 11/26/2005 11:55 am »
Chris Bergin - 26/11/2005  5:56 AM

lmike - 26/11/2005  10:20 AM

Those haven't been posted before, but they're off the SpaceX website where there's a few more - including on of the "rocket on a truck" outside a building in a US city (which I forgot).

Elon's people basically drove their rocket into town! :)

Now one for you engineers out there. Do you feel this is the best low cost "does what it says on the tin" type of rocket? I keep hearing these doubts about the Merlin. Anything you would personally have done different with the mandate they plan for their family of rockets?

A regenerative nozzle cooling, instead of the ablative.  And I think they are considering that for the Merlin 2 (Falcon-5/9) In any case, my fingers are crossed for the flight...  This could be the breakthrough, all have been waiting for...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography