Author Topic: Andor (Disney+)  (Read 2276 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1106
  • Likes Given: 8
Andor (Disney+)
« on: 05/26/2022 07:43 pm »
Andor is another series set in the Star Wars universe, spun off from the Rogue One movie and based on rebel hero Cassian Andor:

« Last Edit: 05/26/2022 07:58 pm by sanman »

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 709
Re: Andor (Disney+)
« Reply #1 on: 05/26/2022 08:34 pm »
Looks so good. Mon Mantha Chef's Kiss

Offline sanman

« Reply #2 on: 05/26/2022 09:23 pm »
Looks so good. Mon Mantha Chef's Kiss

Yes, Mon Mothma is played by Genevieve O'Reilly, reprising her role from Rogue One and various other animated Star Wars shows.
Tony Gilmore, who wrote the screenplay for Rogue One, is also doing the writing for this series.

Diego Luna is the titular Cassian Andor.
Stellan Skarsgard is playing a rebel leader called Luthen Ray.

https://twitter.com/newsandor/status/1529894006594973712

Apparently, the revolution will be televised  ;)
« Last Edit: 05/26/2022 09:32 pm by sanman »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 3473
  • Likes Given: 2742
« Reply #3 on: 05/27/2022 05:38 am »
Diego Luna and Genevieve O'Reilly Take The Stage At SWCA 2022 | Star Wars Celebration Live!

Tony De La Rosa

Offline sanman

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2022 01:27 am »
Trailer for Andor:

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 5925
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2022 02:09 am »
They filmed at real locations and not The Void soundstage, which is why it looks so real.

Offline sanman

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2022 11:46 pm »
New trailer:

Offline sanman

« Reply #7 on: 09/23/2022 02:35 am »
I don't know if anyone has yet had a chance to see the first few episodes of Andor, but I found them pretty gripping and suspenseful. The show has a lot more mature and somber tone than what we're used to from Star Wars, and felt more like it should be on HBOMax, rather than a DisneyPlus offering. (Seeing Stellan Skarsgard in it also made me think of HBO's Chernobyl.) At times I thought I was watching a British police drama, showing us the Empire and its "troubles" before the Battle of Yavin (Episode IV - A New Hope). It looks to be slowly building up into a cloak-&-dagger spy drama.

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1376
  • Likes Given: 1333
« Reply #8 on: 09/23/2022 02:52 am »
This show is definitely different. Feels more like a novel, slowly building up to the actual story.
Astronomer & launch photographer

Offline sanman

« Reply #9 on: 09/23/2022 03:19 am »
This show is definitely different. Feels more like a novel, slowly building up to the actual story.

Yeah, and since we've seen Rogue One and A New Hope, we can sort of surmise what it may be building towards. And Rogue One (working title: Destroyer of Worlds) is premised on the storyline of James Luceno's novel Catalyst, which is what I'm hoping Andor will mesh with and dive into.

So if we invoke the analogy of a WW2 spy thriller, the Death Star is kind of like a Manhattan Project, totally game-changing because of its sheer destructive power. The Rebellion has nothing to match it.

I really hope we'll get to see the introduction of Galen Erso as the Oppenheimer or Einstein.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2022 05:23 pm by sanman »

Offline ccdengr

• Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #10 on: 09/25/2022 05:06 pm »
This made me sign up for Disney+ and it does seem much better to me than the Obi-Wan series, which I also watched a couple of episodes of.

One thing that surprised me: each ANDOR episode is only a little more than half an hour long.  Of course, maybe this encourages them to have less filler and move a bit quicker than OBI-WAN, which seems a bit padded out.

Offline sanman

« Reply #11 on: 09/25/2022 05:38 pm »
This made me sign up for Disney+ and it does seem much better to me than the Obi-Wan series, which I also watched a couple of episodes of.

One thing that surprised me: each ANDOR episode is only a little more than half an hour long.  Of course, maybe this encourages them to have less filler and move a bit quicker than OBI-WAN, which seems a bit padded out.

Ironically, some critics are complaining that Andor moves too slowly. But it does this while building up suspense, characters, relationships, world-building, etc. This story is more of a slow-burner type of drama that gradually builds up to its fuller head of steam.

But as far as I know, this show has a finite arc of 2 seasons, each consisting of 12 episodes.

In Rogue One, the character of Cassian Andor came across as a sort of Che Guevara of the Rebellion. We're now going to see his journey to become that figure. We're also going to see the moral ambiguities along his path.

This is not the Star Wars your parents grew up with.

Offline ccdengr

• Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #12 on: 09/25/2022 05:56 pm »
Ironically, some critics are complaining that Andor moves too slowly.
Since only four episodes have been released to reviewers at this point, I'm not sure how they could tell.  Compared to the first episode of OBI-WAN the first three eps of ANDOR seemed positively meteoric to me; it never dragged.

Obviously (do I have to worry about spoiling ROGUE ONE at this point?) there's only so much time they have to cover since ANDOR starts in 5 BBY (though it has had, and I expect will continue to have a lot of flashbacks.)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3627
  • Likes Given: 220
Andor (Disney+)
« Reply #13 on: 09/25/2022 08:01 pm »
Reminded me of Blakeís Seven atmosphere wise, and thatís a compliment, just with a bigger budget and more good actors. One of the best of these new Star Wars shows.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2022 08:03 pm by Star One »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography