Author Topic: Blue Origin's BE-4 Engine  (Read 874325 times)

Offline RDMM2081

• Liked: 178
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Blue Origin's BE-4 Engine
« Reply #1880 on: 08/27/2022 04:55 am »
I don’t understand, why horizontal?

Offline DanClemmensen

• California
  • Liked: 2252
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #1881 on: 08/27/2022 04:58 am »
:) Image fits on the screen better.  :)

Offline RDMM2081

• Liked: 178
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #1882 on: 08/27/2022 05:00 am »
I guess I meant how does an engine that will only operationally ever fire in a vertical orientation benefit from testing in a horizontal orientation?

Offline DrHeywoodFloyd

« Reply #1883 on: 08/27/2022 10:06 am »
I guess I meant how does an engine that will only operationally ever fire in a vertical orientation benefit from testing in a horizontal orientation?

I would say, given the pressures and force produced by the BE-4 engine [~2.4 Mn], the force due to gravity is minuscule....

Offline DrHeywoodFloyd

« Reply #1884 on: 08/27/2022 10:11 am »
https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1562090869158707200?t=szcy4Vj9LTqrku0eXUmOww&s=19

"OK. Going very well.  Second flight engine is at the ATP hot fire stand in Texas.  FE1 cold ATP found a minor assembly issue we wanted to adjust.  It'll hot fire after FE2 is done.  Pre-qual testing completed a few weeks ago.  Super pleased with the results and BE4's performance."

Delivery from BO to ULA in 2-3W?..M [... and most importantly to BO... invoicing ULA for their engines.. I would if it is "Cash On Delivery"?!!]

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 18551
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #1885 on: 08/27/2022 01:22 pm »

Because it is easier.  Don't need a flame trench.  Orientation doesn't affect the engine operation

Offline EspenU

• Newbie Spacegeek
  • Norway
  • Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1886 on: 08/27/2022 01:36 pm »

Because it is easier.  Don't need a flame trench.  Orientation doesn't affect the engine operation

I don't know if that's 100% true. There was a comment from Elon a while back (if I recall correctly) where he mentioned some challenges with Raptor horizontal testing due to propellants pooling in wrong places.

It might not be a huge issue, and it's probably possible to design around it, but it's apparently not completely irrelevant.

Offline JayWee

• Liked: 765
  • Likes Given: 1311
« Reply #1887 on: 08/27/2022 01:59 pm »

I don't know if that's 100% true. There was a comment from Elon a while back (if I recall correctly) where he mentioned some challenges with Raptor horizontal testing due to propellants pooling in wrong places.

It might not be a huge issue, and it's probably possible to design around it, but it's apparently not completely irrelevant.
Well, SX DID build a Raptor vertical stand after their initial horizontal one. Maybe gimbal tests?

« Last Edit: 08/27/2022 02:03 pm by JayWee »

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #1888 on: 08/27/2022 04:22 pm »

Well, SX DID build a Raptor vertical stand after their initial horizontal one. Maybe gimbal tests?

Gimbal tests do not need to be done vertically, either.

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
« Reply #1889 on: 08/31/2022 03:49 am »

I might point out that Blue Origin is not entirely without experience with BE-4s being fueled while vertical:
https://blog.ulalaunch.com/hubfs/DSC_9603_1.jpg

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
« Reply #1890 on: 08/31/2022 05:46 pm »
Harry Stranger is reporting the following regarding Flight Engine 2's test firing:

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1564961942975938560

Hopefully Blue Origin and or Tory Bruno will give us an update regarding how well it went.

Offline DrHeywoodFloyd

« Reply #1891 on: 09/04/2022 02:38 am »
Any updates on Test Stand 4670.... the last update was 22 Jun 2022.... anyone out there living in Huntsville... have they heard the sound of a rocket engine test at 4670...

https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1539299602352025600?s=20&t=nlW9shODP0fgQ3fI3ggf8A

Offline Rakietwawka2021

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #1892 on: 09/04/2022 08:30 am »
Tory said that 4670 wasn't quite ready for engine test.

Offline harrystranger

« Reply #1893 on: 09/04/2022 12:36 pm »
Harry Stranger is reporting the following regarding Flight Engine 2's test firing:

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1564961942975938560

Hopefully Blue Origin and or Tory Bruno will give us an update regarding how well it went.
Some higher resolution imagery of the possible test :)
https://twitter.com/Harry__Stranger/status/1566402719463575552
It can be really hard to interpret satellite imagery! Local knowledge & an understanding of an area’s history are crucial pieces of the puzzle.
- Rob Simmon

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 55677
  • Likes Given: 25146
« Reply #1894 on: 09/13/2022 04:14 pm »
https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1569702765181702146

Big launch panel coming up at #WSBW, with executives from Arianespace, Blue Origin, ILS, MHI, SpaceX and ULA.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1569708540423438336

Mark Peller, ULA: making good progress on Vulcan, should get BE-4 flight engines in the “coming weeks” and then send it to the launch site. (Does not commit to a specific launch date for first Vulcan launch.)

Offline cpushack

• Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #1895 on: 09/13/2022 10:31 pm »
Mark Peller, ULA: making good progress on Vulcan, should get BE-4 flight engines in the “coming weeks” and then send it to the launch site. (Does not commit to a specific launch date for first Vulcan launch.)

We have heard this before.....

Online Vettedrmr

• Hot Springs, AR
  • Liked: 1355
  • Likes Given: 2250
« Reply #1896 on: 09/14/2022 12:06 am »

I tried to do a search of this thread on the number of hits on "week", but failed miserably.

BTW, does anyone know if FE-2 has run it's acceptance test firing?
Aviation/space enthusiast, retired control system SW engineer, doesn't know anything!

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
« Reply #1897 on: 09/14/2022 04:11 am »

I tried to do a search of this thread on the number of hits on "week", but failed miserably.

BTW, does anyone know if FE-2 has run it's acceptance test firing?

It appears to have, if you look at Harry Stranger's work with the Sentinel satellite imagery showing the exhaust plume from the test cell FE-2 is mounted in. It was fired. Now it would be a matter of waiting for FE-1 to do its ATP.

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #1898 on: 09/14/2022 08:25 am »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/09/as-summer-turns-to-fall-ula-still-waiting-for-its-be-4-rocket-engines/ 

Sources told Ars that the first engine was put onto the test stand in Texas early in August, but almost as soon as work began to hot-fire the powerful engine, an issue was discovered with the engine build. This necessitated a shipment back to Blue Origin's factory in mid-August, as the company's test stands in Texas do not allow for more than minor work.

As a result of this technical issue, ULA now appears likely to get one flight engine this month, but it probably will not receive the other one for installation onto the Vulcan rocket before mid-October, assuming a clean battery of tests in Texas.

Almost certainly, this will preclude the debut of the Vulcan rocket in 2022. It will simply not be possible for ULA to install and test the engines, move the rocket to Florida, and stand it up for launch in less than three months. However, Rye said that remains the company's goal. "ULA is planning for a launch by the end of the year," she said.

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
« Reply #1899 on: 09/15/2022 09:06 pm »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/09/as-summer-turns-to-fall-ula-still-waiting-for-its-be-4-rocket-engines/ 

Sources told Ars that the first engine was put onto the test stand in Texas early in August, but almost as soon as work began to hot-fire the powerful engine, an issue was discovered with the engine build. This necessitated a shipment back to Blue Origin's factory in mid-August, as the company's test stands in Texas do not allow for more than minor work.

As a result of this technical issue, ULA now appears likely to get one flight engine this month, but it probably will not receive the other one for installation onto the Vulcan rocket before mid-October, assuming a clean battery of tests in Texas.

Almost certainly, this will preclude the debut of the Vulcan rocket in 2022. It will simply not be possible for ULA to install and test the engines, move the rocket to Florida, and stand it up for launch in less than three months. However, Rye said that remains the company's goal. "ULA is planning for a launch by the end of the year," she said.

I still would like to know when Berger spoke to Rye since buried deep in the article is this:

"In fact, the first flight engine had to be sent back to Blue Origin's production facilities in Kent, Washington, after a minor problem was found on the test stand. ULA's director of external communications, Jessica Rye, said the flight engine presently in Washington is expected to leave for Texas "shortly." She confirmed that the other flight engine is undergoing "final acceptance testing" in Texas before shipment to Alabama.

"We are very pleased with where we are from a technical standpoint with the new BE-4 engines, and its great performance," Rye said."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography